• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you shoot?

Do you shoot defensively with both eyes open?

• Total voters
Since this was part of what Jim Conway posted, I thought it would be a good poll question. I'm not advocating a right way or a wrong way, I'm just curious how some folks shoot while practicing defensive shooting.

Since I brought it up, I'll start. When I began training in defensive shooting, I realized that I was shooting with both eyes open. I look at and aim for center mass (which I usually hit). I never really thought about it, or how to do it, it just happened that way. I guess I automatically figured it would be easier to watch for additional threats towards my left side (I'm right eye dominant).

Did you have to think about doing it that way? Did your instructor (if a course was taken) tell you how to do it? And, if it was the opposite of what you were doing, how hard was it for you to change to what the instructor said?

Lynne, good question.

Jim Crews course last year pointed out that some folks MUST use only one eye to be accurate. He had us do a little exercise which pointed out to me that my point of aim changes between one eye and two eyes. Thus, I have to use one eye only.

I try to do this now (always was a two eye shooter), but I'm sure that under stress, I'd revert back to both eyes.

I have tried to shoot with both eyes open but I have to concentrate to the point where it slows me down considerably.

TonyD said:
My response will be in the original thread shortly.

Read it - I agree completely with everything you said which is why I tell my PP students to start trying to shoot with both eyes open. It's not an easy thing to get the hang of which is why you need to practice. Some can't get it, or (as Len stated earlier) some can't due to vision. Anywho...back to the poll....

I guess I'll reply here and in the other thread.

I agree with Tony that in a tactical situation, you NEED to have both eyes open.

On the range you can do what is best for you (1 eye in my case).

This leaves an open question . . . what are we training on the range for? If target OK, if tactical then we should be practicing ONLY what we need for the tactical situation (2 eyes for all).

I think that it depends on what I'm shooting.

When I'm shooting Steel and large targets I have both eyes open. I think. I've never really paid attention to it. But my buddy said something to me the other day that I shoot with both eyes open.

But I do know that when I'm shooting rifle I close one eye

My reply is also in the original thread.

Think Skeet Shooting.

Both eyes open.

Focus on the target.

Aim with the hands.

Works with a 12 guage at 16 yards on moving targets 4" in diameter.

Right now I tend to shut one eye.... I am working on having both open ...

and if you really want to be scared I may try with both eyes closed :eek: j/k

I never really thought about it too much, but when I am target shooting I use one eye to get more accurate focus, but when I do a rapid fire I raise the gun quickly and shoot at the target, not expecting to hit the black, but wanting to see that I'm on paper.

If I were in a situation where I had to defend myself I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to close one eye and focus on the front sight...

SiameseRat said:
If I were in a situation where I had to defend myself I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to close one eye and focus on the front sight...

How you train is how you'll react. Don't waste precious seconds looking for the front sitght. Look center mass and point the gun there. Treat the muzzle of the gun like your finger tip - you're pointing at something, and that something is center mass.

When I shoot Chris's .500, I have perfect form: both eyes closed, face grimmacing, and everything else clenched.

One more thing -- my insurance policy -- dark brown underwear.

I don't know about the rest of the guys, but I want to keep my forehead unmarred by the smack of that .500's front sight...

Call me a wimp, call me what you will, just call me!

What are you worried about Darius? After my son (9 at the time) had been shooting .22lr for a couple of years, I decided that he should learn some serious respect for recoil. We went down to the range after school with my Colt Commander and a box of 230gr hardball. After explaining to him about how to control it and demonstrating a couple of mags, I loaded it up and handed it to him. Silly me, I expected him to take his time and shoot carefully. Instead he took an iscoceles stance (I finally got him to prefer Weaver a few years later) and emptied the magazine in about 5 seconds. I could count all 7+1 marks plainly on his forehead. :eek: Rather than show any concern, he runs the target back, sees that 7 of the 8 are in the black at 21 ft, grins and asks if he can do it again. [roll]

Ken

KMaurer said:
What are you worried about Darius? After my son (9 at the time) had been shooting .22lr for a couple of years, I decided that he should learn some serious respect for recoil. We went down to the range after school with my Colt Commander and a box of 230gr hardball. After explaining to him about how to control it and demonstrating a couple of mags, I loaded it up and handed it to him. Silly me, I expected him to take his time and shoot carefully. Instead he took an iscoceles stance (I finally got him to prefer Weaver a few years later) and emptied the magazine in about 5 seconds. I could count all 7+1 marks plainly on his forehead. :eek: Rather than show any concern, he runs the target back, sees that 7 of the 8 are in the black at 21 ft, grins and asks if he can do it again. [roll]

Ken

As The Great One once said, "A man has got to know his own limitations..."

Cross-X said:
Speaking of iron-fisted, I think I have Ross just about convinced to make his next derringer a little old 45-70.

You do? Where was I when you did this? Was I in the conversation? [lol]

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:
Speaking of iron-fisted, I think I have Ross just about convinced to make his next derringer a little old 45-70.

You do? Where was I when you did this? Was I in the conversation? [lol]

Ross

Please, Ross, reread what I wrote the key words are "just about".

Gotcha!

Back
Top Bottom