How do you prove reciprocity?

So I'm spending the month of April in Florida for work, and I was thinking about bringing a carry gun with me. Let's say for a moment I get stopped and have to disclose that I have a gun, ie. I have to get out of the car for some reason. If, in this unlikely circumstance I have to tell the officer Im carrying, how do I prove to him that my NH permit allows for reciprocity in Florida? Im pretty sure I'm way over thinking this. What do you guys think?

1 - Bring your P&R with you
2 - Print out the reciprocity agreement between florida and new hampshire
3 - hope you don't get stopped

Actually, while you're down there, getting one should be easy if you have the class.

and, btw, don't get stopped :D

Prove reciprocity to a cop?
Hey nothing to prove, just show your NH LTC. Cops know the law....
Oh wait.....

Does anyone know how long the turnaround is on an FL non res. with my inlaws down there, it might not be a bad idea anyway.

I took a look at a FL CWP turnaround thread on another forum I frequent. Looks like most people are currently reporting 30 days, with some closer to 45 days. They turned mine in 30 days, but that was in 2013.

So I'm spending the month of April in Florida for work, and I was thinking about bringing a carry gun with me. Let's say for a moment I get stopped and have to disclose that I have a gun, ie. I have to get out of the car for some reason. If, in this unlikely circumstance I have to tell the officer Im carrying, how do I prove to him that my NH permit allows for reciprocity in Florida? Im pretty sure I'm way over thinking this. What do you guys think?

If you are in a situation where you think it would be useful to prove reciprocity, whether you can prove it or not would most likely be moot.

If you are in a situation where you think it would be useful to prove reciprocity, whether you can prove it or not would most likely be moot.
Agreed!!! You do not have to prove reciprocity to an LEO, they will know whether you have reciprocity in their state or not. Proving reciprocity is like proving a "pre-ban" "hi-cap" situation. If you are in a situation where you need to be discussing those things with an LEO you're probably already in trouble.

Does anyone know how long the turnaround is on an FL non res. with my inlaws down there, it might not be a bad idea anyway.

Why? If you have an NH res P&R than you're fine for FL. The only benefit of a Florida non-res CCW (or whatever they call them) would be reciprocity with the intermediary states like VA.

Why? If you have an NH res P&R than you're fine for FL. The only benefit of a Florida non-res CCW (or whatever they call them) would be reciprocity with the intermediary states like VA.

IIRC, you are exempt from the 1,000 feet from a school gun free zone BS (federal law) when you carry on an in-state permit. While you probably wouldn't get jammed up on that, you could be.

I don't know what fla's carry in a vehicle laws are like but, here in SC it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded HG in an unlocked glovebox or console. It doesn't matter where you are from or what licenses you do or don't have. 21+ non-felon, federal PP etc... then you are good to go.

I got in to a car accident here after the move while still driving on my MA DL. My loaded 92FS was ejected from the vehicle. I told the cop. He found the gun. Then just handed it to me and said "Here's your gun sir."

In NC you can car carry w/o a license. But they want you to keep it out in the open and visible at all times. Personally I think having your HG sitting on the seat beside you when the cop walks up is a great way to get shot in the back of the head. So I just throw it in the lock box in the trunk when I go there.

Look in to Fla's laws about vehicle carry. If they have something similar then it could relieve some of the stress. You should still have a copy of the agreement in case something happens when you are out of the vehicle.

In FL unless you are a PP anyone can have a securely encased handgun in their vehicle.

(No case law on "securely encased" yet. If it covers the trigger guard you should be GTG. )

I just applied for my Florida non-resident. Paperwork was received by them on Jan. 12th checked by using the tracking number they provide, license was issued on Feb. 13th and on their website said it could be another 2 to 4 weeks for the license to be printed so total time is around 7 to 9 weeks.

Haha yeah. That's pretty much what I thought. Printing out the reciprocity agreement is a pretty good idea. I'm not really all that worried about getting stopped, but you know, it never hurts to ask.

I just printed the agreement between NH and PA when I was in PA. Kept a copy of it folded up in my wallet.

Just apply for your license while there.

You need to make an appointment ahead of time with the licensing office, at least did when I applied over a year ago. They take care of it all electronically, prints, photo, etc. IIRC, need to show a training certificate, and likely what you have for MA is good, plus your MA license. Check their website for all the requirements. Easiest way to do it if you're going to be there.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...oncealed-Weapon-License/Fast-Track-Processing

If there is a gun show in the area while you are there, you can usually get a class at the show and they do the print card and photo after the class, as well as help with the paper application, and then you do a mail-in for the license. When I did it, went to licensing office, mMy g/f who was FL resident at the time did the gun show deal a few days later then mailed paperwork. I think she got her license about a week before me!

I don't know what fla's carry in a vehicle laws are like but, here in SC it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded HG in an unlocked glovebox or console. It doesn't matter where you are from or what licenses you do or don't have. 21+ non-felon, federal PP etc... then you are good to go.

I got in to a car accident here after the move while still driving on my MA DL. My loaded 92FS was ejected from the vehicle. I told the cop. He found the gun. Then just handed it to me and said "Here's your gun sir."

In NC you can car carry w/o a license. But they want you to keep it out in the open and visible at all times. Personally I think having your HG sitting on the seat beside you when the cop walks up is a great way to get shot in the back of the head. So I just throw it in the lock box in the trunk when I go there.

Look in to Fla's laws about vehicle carry. If they have something similar then it could relieve some of the stress. You should still have a copy of the agreement in case something happens when you are out of the vehicle.

Dont you have a SC resident permit? If so you have reciprocity with NC. So I don't see why you'd throw it in the trunk.

Back
Top Bottom