• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you keep your brass organized?

I'm wondering how you guys keep your brass organized as far as storage, labeling, workflow etc.?

I don't get much time to reload, so there can be a few weeks in between sessions. Sometimes I'll be resizing one batch of rifle brass while tumbling a batch of pistol ammo and I'd like to get a system down so I spend less time trying to remember where I was at and also so I can keep everything flowing smoothly. I've got a bunch of cheap Tupperware that I use to separate my batches. I'll throw a post it note in there saying where the brass is at (cleaned, deprimed, resized, etc.)

I was thinking of printing out some labels that have each prep step listed so I can just check off what's done. I'm sure some of you guys have some pretty dialed in systems in place and I'm hoping to pick up some ideas.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking it [laugh]

Last edited:
i gallon ziplock bags with sharpie.....
"cleaned"
"decapped"
"FL Resized"
"fire formed neck sized (firearm)"
"trimmed"
etc.....

then i prime, charge and seat......

Last edited:
Ziplocs and context clues here...

I do an hour here and an hour there when processing .223 brass, so I generally leave it in one of a few states:

1) Exactly as I grabbed it from the range
2) Decapped/tumbled, but unsized
3) Sized/swaged, but untrimmed and still covered in case lube
4) Fully prepped, but unprimed
5) Primed and ready to go

For pistol brass, it's basically either still covered in dirt in the bucket I brought it home in, or it's been decapped and tumbled. I use a 550B, so pistol brass gets sized/primed in station 1 when I'm loading.

I was thinking of printing out some labels that have each prep step listed so I can just check off what's done. I'm sure some of you guys have some pretty dialed in systems in place and I'm hoping to pick up some ideas.

What you described is what I do, except I use avery sticky labels and I write what steps I have performed using a sharpie.

I collect supercool wide-mouth plastic "jars" from the office - We receive stainless steel rivets, and loose ball bearing balls, to the tune of tens of thousands per month. (One cube of rivets is 10,000 pieces.)
The jars are either 6"x6"x6" cube shaped blow-molded HDPE, or they are cylindrical poly-carbonate about 3" in diameter.
Both have healthy screw-on lids and are air tight.
The HDPE cubes will fit exactly 500 .45acp. I'm planning on using the poly cylinders for smaller calibers and smaller quantities, as well as projjies.

I use empty Domino sugar containers with the white lids. Write on with sharpie and wipe off with rubbing alcohol when I do something to the brass.

Coffee "cans" are now plastic, have a very wide mouth, are resealable, and can be simply labeled with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie.

I've got LOTS of them.

Only good thing my wifes cat is good for.
5 gal litter containers for dirty brass, 2 gal wide mouth litter jugs for clean brass.
Labeled with sharpy

I like the square kitty litter 5 gallon buckets with flip lid. I generally sort and tumble all my brass in a few weekend sessions. I then process what I think im going to need.
ex summer is rifle and trap shooting so all winter im processing and loading for that, come winter its pistol shooting indoors mostly so all summer im toying with pistol reloading.
So my brass is in 5 gallon buckets sorted out in 1 gallon zip locks in various stages......brass is organized. The rest of my reloading area thats another story as it also doubles as my "stuff" storage area. Everything "I" own is stuffed in a 8x8 area i share with oil tank,heater and hot water tank.... hard to keep "neat" constantly shuffling things around to get at everything but I make it work

I like the square kitty litter 5 gallon buckets with flip lid. I generally sort and tumble all my brass in a few weekend sessions. I then process what I think im going to need.
ex summer is rifle and trap shooting so all winter im processing and loading for that, come winter its pistol shooting indoors mostly so all summer im toying with pistol reloading.
So my brass is in 5 gallon buckets sorted out in 1 gallon zip locks in various stages......brass is organized. The rest of my reloading area thats another story as it also doubles as my "stuff" storage area. Everything "I" own is stuffed in a 8x8 area i share with oil tank,heater and hot water tank.... hard to keep "neat" constantly shuffling things around to get at everything but I make it work

I'm dealing with a pretty tight spot too. 5 gal buckets for my main calibers sorted into gallon zip locks sounds like a very good solution!

I'm thinking of grabbing a few 2 gal buckets for sorting untumbled brass too.

i have akro bins that i label the stage they are in etc and pile them into once i start messing with them

stuff fresh off the range gets chucked into a 5 gallon bucket

sorted stuff that is untouched ill throw in ziplocs or the bins

I get my 2 and 5 gallon buckets from a grocery store that has a bakery in it. They give them away for the asking and they love it when I take all they have. Most of the time they are washed out nice and clean but sometimes there is left over frosting. The lids have rubber O rings to seal them up tight. All you have to do is ask about the frosting buckets at the bakery of your grocery store and maybe you can get all your buckets and lids free or cheap.

5 gallon buckets.

I sort range pick-ups when I have the time. Tumble by the caliber and place them in buckets by caliber.

Never thought of the bakery option, but there are plenty of olaces that use them and give them away for free.

I have a reasonably size area devoted to the hobby. What I don't need, i can trade, sell or scrap if damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom