• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you keep track of the guns that you own?

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
After too many bad experiences with crashed computers, I now keep all my firearms records in an inexpensive FFL bound book I got from Brownells, and keep a copy of this book in a secure location off-site. Whenever I sell a gun, the name and personal info of the buyer goes into this book too.

I also keep all of my FA-10s in a notebook in little plastic sheet protectors, along with receipts for work done on my guns.

So how do you keep your records?

Cross-X said:
Call me a traditionalist, but, in my old age, I've come to rely on paper over plastic, and books over CDs.

Ahhh, you're a traditionalist.

But FWIW I use paper and plastic.

I created a computerized spreadsheet with info on all guns bought and sold, much like a bound book but more detail (prices). I print out a copy occasionally and store it in a safe.

I have all my old and new FA-10s/blue cards also in a safe.

I do backups of all my documents and databases on a CD/DVD and store two copies in two different places.

I also bought NMCollector which allows you do do all this on the computer with pictures, etc. Just never took the time to put all the data from day one in that program.

C-X, sounds like you need a good computer consultant to help you avoid computer crashes and disk losses! [smile]

Aside from my required book, I keep all my original forms, license copies, etc. in a small plastic tote that fits in a safe.
As for keeping track of the guns themselves.... I have sheet metal safes for each rifle type. Theres the Mosin safe, the Mauser safe, etc. [smile] hey, even a $30 rifle has to be locked up by law.

tele_mark said:
Unfortunatly, being the newbie I am, I can keep track of all the guns I own with the fingers of one hand.

I will always remember my very first gun -- a Sig Sauer 226 in 9mm. I sent it back to the factory for an action job, and put 25k+ rounds thru her.

The best news of all is I still have her today!

tele_mark said:
Unfortunatly, being the newbie I am, I can keep track of all the guns I own with the fingers of one hand.

Same here but I have a printed copy with all the info on each gun in my files, and a soft copy on my computer.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Filing

[grin] All of the original paperwork is in my files from the very first purchase back in the mid 60's.

Then I found an inventory template for Access on the Mocrosoft website that works very well. When updated, I print out a hardcopy of the list and the file is backed up daily automatically on line off site.

Actually I keep a sheet with a list of all weapons on paper and a disk. I list manf. name, model, ser.no. bought new or used, were purchase, date purchase were bought and how much I $$

I have a copy of my FA-10's (all three of 'em), in a fire resistand file box. When my SKS arrives, even though I'm not required to do it, the three previous guns will go into my bound book, which is an .xls file on my machine. A hardcopy will be printed out with each new addition and stored in the file box to satisfy BATF requirements.

If you've been scared away from using a computer to store your records as a result of computer crashes, I'd say you've managed to learn the wrong lesson. There's a thing called "backups". They manage to solve a lot of other problems, as well.

Ken

KMaurer said:
If you've been scared away from using a computer to store your records as a result of computer crashes, I'd say you've managed to learn the wrong lesson. There's a thing called "backups". They manage to solve a lot of other problems, as well.

Ken

Nay, nay, sire -- I am simply a bit more world-weary and tech shy than you. I won't regale you about all the times my backups have failed along with the source drives.

Why risk technology breakdown when paper is so permanent, tactile and comforting?

Cross-X said:
Why risk technology breakdown when paper is so permanent, tactile and comforting?

Permanent? On the planet where I live we sometimes have problems with fire, water, mildew and other things that tend to render paper anything but permanent. [hmmm]

Ken

KMaurer said:
Permanent? On the planet where I live we sometimes have problems with fire, water, mildew and other things that tend to render paper anything but permanent. [hmmm]

Ken

Most family bibles have lasted far longer than your oldest hard drive.

I win!

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom