• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you guys find guns that are uncommon?

Hey,

I was looking to pick up a left handed ruger gunsite scout in about a month, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Has anyone bought one in Massachusetts?

I was thinking that maybe I should look at Ruger's production schedule, because some gun manafacturers make them in batches, but they don't seem to have one published.

Thanks,
Matt

I emailed Ruger to find out about their Pink Laminate 10/22 production sched and never heard back.

When I want something that is "hard" to find or unique you only have a few options. Check the classified boards here and elsewhere on a DAILY basis. Call my local shops that I do business with and put in a request to try and locate one for me also.

from a lefty shooter, I gave up on LH guns. Big companies hardly return emails.
not nocking ruger but I think 1k could be better spent on a bolt gun of other manufactures

Last edited:
Matt, your best bet is to go to a local shop and ask them if they could order one. I'm assuming they are still made.

Maxspeed the pink laminate 10/22's are made for a specific vendor. I can't remember which one, but they are all out of them. They have been for a while. My local shop keeps checking on one for me. No luck for about 8 months yet.

I'm a lefty. You have to have a local shop order one up for you -- it's rare folks will stock left-handed bolt rifles. It may take a while to arrive.

I actually picked up a left handed gunsite scout a month or so ago -- it's a great gun! [grin]

Dhuze, It's Lipseys. I have been in contact with them and they told me they are waiting for Ruger. My dealer opened an account with them to help me get one. I have called all the dealers in Mass, Naples, Houston, Atlanta, and phoenix and can't find one. Trying to get one for my daughter for Christmas.

not nocking ruger but I think 1k could be better spent on a bolt gun of other manufactures

This is actually my first gun, and the only one I'll be able to afford for awhile, so my inspiration for picking the ruger scout was partly looks and partly because I wanted a gun with more than one aplication. I can't imagine ever being able to shoot righty. If I really can't get my hands on the scout I will prolly opt for a mini-14.

This is actually my first gun, and the only one I'll be able to afford for awhile, so my inspiration for picking the ruger scout was partly looks and partly because I wanted a gun with more than one aplication. I can't imagine ever being able to shoot righty. If I really can't get my hands on the scout I will prolly opt for a mini-14.

I'm not sure what your application is but be aware the ruger gunsite has a pretty sharp kick to it. I'm happy with mine but it's not an afternoon plinker by any means. I don't care to put more than 20-40 rounds through it in a sitting, then it's back to the mouseguns!

As a lefty, you also may want to take a look at Savage. They have a good selection of left handed rifles as well.

I'm not sure what your application is but be aware the ruger gunsite has a pretty sharp kick to it. I'm happy with mine but it's not an afternoon plinker by any means. I don't care to put more than 20-40 rounds through it in a sitting, then it's back to the mouseguns!

As a lefty, you also may want to take a look at Savage. They have a good selection of left handed rifles as well.

You think .308 is too big for something like coyotes?

By applications I just mean target, tactical, hunting and with a pretty good range, maybe max 300 yards.

The largest game I would be hunting is deer, does a round exist that wouldn't explode a squirell, but drop a buck?

By applications I just mean target, tactical, hunting and with a pretty good range, maybe max 300 yards.

The largest game I would be hunting is deer, does a round exist that wouldn't explode a squirell, but drop a buck?

Maybe .223? Most deer rounds will destroy a squirrel

sent from tapatalk mobile app

It's never even occurred to me to get a left handed gun. Other than using reversible mag releases if the weapon has it, I've never noticed any inconvenience due to handedness, especially in rifles.

I have had a few people ask why I don't have any lefty guns, and my answer is the above.

Of course, you are free to do what you like and prefer, if you feel that it's difficult to shoot a right handed gun. keep in mind, your resale value will be dependent upon finding another person who wants that gun in a left handed configuration, and finding parts may be a problem.

Well there is no question it would work, but it might be a bit overkill...

That's a lot to ask of one caliber. What you can hunt with is largely determined by hunting regs... for example in MA you probably want a shotgun for deer. I'm not up on all the hunting laws of bordering states so that may not hold true everywhere.

For general use a bolt action in .223 is probably a good bet. Ammo will be cheaper and it will be more enjoyable to target shoot with.

Sako made some leftys. Pricy but well made and sometimes show up on Gunbroker. Personally gunbroker is your friend as you can search bolt action rifles, put in left as a search term and search completed listings. Will give you all kinds of options and average prices to search current listing from.
Dave

Do you mean you shoot righty, or that you shoot lefty with a right handed gun?

not saying you should shoot righty, explore your opptions more. A small cal savage in LH would serve you better in my O.

First gun spending 700-1000 bucks you could really trick out a 10/22 or a nice savage and glass to boot.

I shoot lefty. Aside from a boltgun I see no real reason to purchase a "Left Handed" gun

not saying you should shoot righty, explore your opptions more. A small cal savage in LH would serve you better in my O.

First gun spending 700-1000 bucks you could really trick out a 10/22 or a nice savage and glass to boot.

I shoot lefty. Aside from a boltgun I see no real reason to purchase a "Left Handed" gun

So it's not a big deal which side the cartidges eject on?

I'm a lefty and I shoot lefty, but I still have a right-handed bolt rifle. Like most things in life for us, you make it work and you'll get used to it.

I'm a lefty and I shoot lefty, but I still have a right-handed bolt rifle. Like most things in life for us, you make it work and you'll get used to it.

+1 on this. just like everything else in our lives. Suck it up and figure it out.

I know more then a few lefties who are both proficient and fast with right handed bolts. Shooting lefty that is. Might be a problem if you were using a Ching sling or something similar, but they keep their shooting grip with their left hand and pull their right hand back from the forestock to work the bolt. From a bipod or rest it is quite fast.

The reach over can be done also on the RH bolt gun.
My entire youth was spent hearing "your on the wrong side of that gun" I learned to shoot righty. I for as long as I can remember have naturally shoulder rifles on my left shoulder. Funny thing is my Dad would never correct me in the field downing birds.
Ejected carteidges should not be a problem. Although I have a old ass 25acp semi auto that will just ding my hat when shot left handed.
take it from me DO NOT BUY guns because they look cool 2nd think possible resale.
I have purchased and sold all but 1 LH gun I have owned. I have a early model savage LH in 22 magnum.

Dhuze, It's Lipseys. I have been in contact with them and they told me they are waiting for Ruger. My dealer opened an account with them to help me get one. I have called all the dealers in Mass, Naples, Houston, Atlanta, and phoenix and can't find one. Trying to get one for my daughter for Christmas.

That's the one. One of my dealers called and only got "We are out and don't know when we'll get any more". You can add RI to the list of places that don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom