How do you define "Assault Rifle"?

It's very simple. If an auto loading rifle is capable of full auto then it's an assault rifle. If it's not, it's an auto loading rifle. Semi auto assault rifle is made up bullshit. It's like saying 4 cylinder V 8. It's not possible.

Assault rifle is a pretty easy term to define. The first definition is practical and been the best I've found:

"Assault rifles are short, compact, select-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine guns and rifle cartridges. Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full automatic fire at ranges up to 300m"

from: DIA-ST-HB-07-03-74.pdf - Page 105 paragraph A (1973)

It's very simple. If an auto loading rifle is capable of full auto then it's an assault rifle. If it's not, it's an auto loading rifle. Semi auto assault rifle is made up bullshit. It's like saying 4 cylinder V 8. It's not possible.
The BAR is not an assault rifle, same with M14 - full power rifle round removes it from consideration
Assault rifle is a pretty easy term to define. The first definition is practical and been the best I've found:

"Assault rifles are short, compact, select-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine guns and rifle cartridges. Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full automatic fire at ranges up to 300m"

from: DIA-ST-HB-07-03-74.pdf - Page 105 paragraph A (1973)
Yeah, I posted the same thing earlier from the 1970 version of this publication.

I've always understood the text-book definition as being "A shoulder fired weapon of an intermediate cartridge having select fire capabilities"

So, an assault rifle is a rifle with semi and auto/burst, a machine gun is a machine gun, a submachine gun is a submachine gun, and a machine pistol is a machine pistol, without going into definitions of the aforementioned.

How do you define .....?

Answer: YOU DON'T

I could try to explain what I mean by that, but that would be succumbing to their agenda. Divide and conquer. white/black. rich/poor. urban / rural. conservative / "correct".

If they can define it, they can ban it.

Lincoln was shot and killed with an "assault Derringer."

How do you define .....?

Answer: YOU DON'T

I could try to explain what I mean by that, but that would be succumbing to their agenda. Divide and conquer. white/black. rich/poor. urban / rural. conservative / "correct".

If they can define it, they can ban it.

Lincoln was shot and killed with an "assault Derringer."
You are late to the party then. Assault Rifles have been the subject of a De facto ban since 1986.

You are late to the party then. Assault Rifles have been the subject of a De facto ban since 1986.

Are you referring to this?

More specifically, Amendment 777 ("The Hughes Amendment")?

Description: An amendment to make it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun except in the case of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date of enactment.

Because that mentions "machine guns" but I don't see either "assault rifles" or "assault weapons" mentioned.

Are you referring to this?

More specifically, Amendment 777 ("The Hughes Amendment")?

Description: An amendment to make it unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun except in the case of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date of enactment.

Because that mentions "machine guns" but I don't see either "assault rifles" or "assault weapons" mentioned.
Yes.

Because, in this thread, when he's talking about Assault Rifles he means "select-fire rifles in intermediate cartridges."

Which is a subset of "machine guns."

Both ATF regulations and US federal law define "machine gun" in such a way that it includes "assault rifles":

26 U.S. Code § 5845 - Definitions

(b) Machinegun

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
-------------
Under this definition, the M-16, AK-74, and any other "assault rifle" is a "machinegun", because all of them have an automatic fire mode: multiple rounds on one trigger pull. So are automatic battle rifles like the M-14, AK-47, Valmet, etc., and submachine guns like the Thompson, M3, Sten, MP5, etc.

However, this definition does not include what politicians have been calling "assault weapons," because those are only semi-automatic.

According to the blah blah blah from the local gun store I just called, a bare lower receiver is and they "can't" sell them.

Cuz Maura.. OMFG, really?

I sincerely hope that was just the blather they give out on the phone not knowing who is on the other end and don't really believe it.

Back
Top Bottom