How do you define "Assault Rifle"?

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Have been having a discussion with a self-identified "expert" in small arms.

He is claiming the FN-FAL is an "Assault Rifle" because the original trial rifle used an intermediate cartridge before switching to a 7.62x51.

I tried to define an Assault Rifle in the same parlance from the US Army Technical Manual I found in the belongings of a relative published in the late 60's which simply said it was a lightweight rifle capable of automatic fire, chambered for an intermediate cartridge.

The individual I am talking with swears up and down that any infantry weapon system chambered for a rifle round counts as an assault rifle.

Thoughts? Am I that far off base here? Or is this "expert" talking out of his ass?

I define it is a gun that is really scary and only designed with one purpose: kill lots of people. And scare them at the same time. Because its really scary and no one could ever hunt with it because it could kill every animal in the forest at the same time and waste all the meat that you can't cook. And it fires hundreds of rounds per minute with the trigger. Theres also like magazines that can fire so many bullets at once. And they're on the streets. Always on the streets so we need to get them off the streets. Because no one needs to own something like that unless they are in a war.

Here's my understanding fwiw.

An "Assault" rifle is suitable for use by infantry assaulting a fixed defensive position. That's the origin of the term "assault," I believe.

It has to be suitable for, say, 200 yards of fire and maneuver followed by a heavy volume of fire to clear trenches, etc. once in the enemy position.

So the three requirements are, imho, an assault weapon (1) fires high velocity rifle rounds, (2) is capable of automatic fire, and (3) is light enough to run and fight with over an extended distance.

It’s only when you assault somebody with it
Your self declared expert might be confusing the term “battle rifle”

I hear the HK 91 and other stuff be referred to as battle rifle sometimes… It’s just marketing and bullshit terms.

But the HK 91 is so heavy it’s a battle To carry I bet

i have yet had a rife assault me...or attempt to...at any time in my life. i've tried hard, used and abused a few rifles to what i thought was their breaking points. but no, nothing, they all showed good judgment and restraint, as well as loyalty, never anything even remotely close to an "assault."

The same way one defines an assault blade, assault foot, assault vehicle, assault dog. Hopefully this sheds some light on the topic.

I define it is a gun that is really scary and only designed with one purpose: kill lots of people. And scare them at the same time. Because its really scary and no one could ever hunt with it because it could kill every animal in the forest at the same time and waste all the meat that you can't cook. And it fires hundreds of rounds per minute with the trigger. Theres also like magazines that can fire so many bullets at once. And they're on the streets. Always on the streets so we need to get them off the streets. Because no one needs to own something like that unless they are in a war.

It's easy to spot a real one.

Don't try to define it, because its a made up term to begin with.

It's just a rifle.
Using it to assault someone else is what all the anti's love to exploit it's features about.

i have yet had a rife assault me...or attempt to...at any time in my life. i've tried hard, used and abused a few rifles to what i thought was their breaking points. but no, nothing, they all showed good judgment and restraint, as well as loyalty, never anything even remotely close to an "assault."

I don't

I explain AR stands for Armalite Rifle

end of discussion
None of you read his post. Congrats.

He's not talking about the politicized term. He's talking within the military use of the original term.

@Darksideblues42 you're on the right track. 30 caliber, selective fire, shoulderable arms are (in my understanding) "Main Battle Rifles." This includes the M14, AR10, and yes the FAL.

I read it before I posted TYVM

I try to dispel the use of the term anywhere I come across it, military, civilian, law enforcement , etc
That's silly if the military has a function-based definition that allows them to distinguish among platforms meaningfully. Unless you've provided a better term than the one they've been using for 60+ years...

In fact, it predates your answer.

That's silly if the military has a function-based definition that allows them to distinguish among platforms meaningfully. Unless you've provided a better term than the one they've been using for 60+ years...

In fact, it predates your answer.
So it’s not a made up term. It’s just purposely used incorrectly?

Whatever Maura says it is.

I am pretty sure we have had this thread before so I will call a DUPE.

In that all language is made up? Sure.

Assault Rifle is a technical term that is used in the military.

In the 80s, it was used by manufacturers to market firearms.

At the end of the 80s/beginning of the 90s antis started to use it incorrectly.

Somewhere along the way, it was expanded to Assault Weapon

But the OP is asking about that original, functional definition.

He's not talking about the politicized term. He's talking within the military use of the original term.

@Darksideblues42 you're on the right track. 30 caliber, selective fire, shoulderable arms are (in my understanding) "Main Battle Rifles." This includes the M14, AR10, and yes the FAL.

Nobody in the FAL community thinks of the FAL as anything but a Battle Rifle, despite its chambering during the prototype stage.

Assault Rifles have always been in intermediate calibers. That's the main difference, and it goes hand in hand with the ranges at which they're meant to be used.

"Assault Rifle" is, indeed, a practical military term that has been heavily bastardized by people who want gun control.

"Assault Rifle" is a real term. "Assault Weapon" is not. This is a nuance that most people won't care much about.

In the real world, the Left has unfortunately won this fight. The evidence of this thread alone proves that even Gun People are going with the branding that the Left is using.

This guy gets it. Term designed to be as scary as ”silencer”. Shows a level of ignorance by the user.
You know that "silencer" is in the title of Hiram Maxim's patent, right?

US1482805-drawings-page-1.png

Last edited:

Well, he made the argument that because the AK is a ".30 Caliber Rifle" and is an Assault Rifle, that means that ANY .30 caliber rifle is an Assault Rifle.

Well, he made the argument that because the AK is a ".30 Caliber Rifle" and is an Assault Rifle, that means that ANY .30 caliber rifle is an Assault Rifle.
I can see how he'd be confused. The 30 cal AK is still an intermediate cartridge (just like 300 Blackout).

And I could have worded it better, as it's really about full power rifle cartridges

I can see how he'd be confused. The 30 cal AK is still an intermediate cartridge (just like 300 Blackout).
Yeah, I explained that an "intermediate" rating could be obtained by either reduction of the projectile diameter/weight or lessening of the charge behind the round, or both.

Back
Top Bottom