• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you deal with trembling hands?

Match Nerves/Shaking Hands

My first pin match in October 1978 - my hands were shaking big time.

In the intervening 29 years, I have totally lost my match nerves. No matter what match, or what type of shooting, I have always told myself that this is just another table of pins, just another rack of plates, just another field of paper targets and Pepper Poppers.

A lot of it comes with experience.

When I entered the 1990 Winchester/Second Chance Grand Championship Shootoff, a double elimination event, I lost in my first bout. I reminded myself that despite the very talented opponents and the $5000 cash prize, it was just another five pins on a table. My hands never shook, and my breathing was relaxed. I never lost again that day.

And ever since, every match has not been a test of skills in an arena of competition. Each match has been a celebration of freedom. Each shot, each rolling pin and crashing steel plate is the sound of freedom.

The Second Amendment LIVES at shooting matches.

And ever since, every match has not been a test of skills in an arena of competition. Each match has been a celebration of freedom. Each shot, each rolling pin and crashing steel plate is the sound of freedom.

The Second Amendment LIVES at shooting matches.

Now that is some good stuff!

There's Good Advice Above

And in addition anything you can do to stay organized & reduce stress at the match is beneficial. Such as: Have an equipment list; check it before you leave for a match. Arrive early if you can, you'll have plenty of time to register, mark your targets, etc. You will have a 3 Min. prep time before the slow fire stage, but if you arrive early you will have time to load magazines ahead of time (buy extras if you can to reduce rushing to reload). Then use the excess prep time to do some relaxation / visualization / breathing techniques to let all cares,vexations, expectations (except to do your best on every shot!) fall away from you. Once a shot is fired, forget it. Don't rejoice in what a good score it's going to get you, or beat yourself up for how bad it was (There will always be one shot that was your worse one.). Your job at that moment is to make the next shot the best one you can.

Take the advice above and get a timer. Use it to not only know how much time you have left, but also to force yourself to take more time between shots (time to relax, concentrate on your breathing, rest your arm a little). You have ten minutes. Use what YOU need and don't worry about others being impatient to move on to the next stage.

On gripping the gun: relaxed doesn't work for me. Neither does "grip of death" as it induces tremors. Firm with almost no thumb contact, and no pinkie finger pressure helps me. It will take many matches & practice sessions to develop the "muscle memory" or subconcious control, but your average score should start to climb.

You'll learn that you have plenty of time in Timed fire, and enough in Rapid. Don't take the first shot at the buzzer in Timed if it won't be a good one. Re-center and go on from there. Try to develop a rhythm. Don't rush. As Wyatt Earp said "You must learn to be.....Slow in a Hurry." Wyatt Earp 1849-1929

Sorry to be so long-winded. Try a search for "Nygord's Notes" and print them out. You'll have some reading material for your range bag (It has water right?) Try to stay hydrated in the afternoon before the match if you don't usually drink much water. And if you're caffeine sensitive like me, it's de-cafe, postum (an aquired taste) or CaFix during league season Sept-April.

Before leaving for a match my wife says "Shoot straight"; to which I say "the gun always shoots straight, I just have to do my part".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom