How Do You Carry ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyC

NES Member
Please bear with me as I am new to this forum, and new to having an unrestricted A LTC. I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times before..... But, How Do You Carry ???? By that I mean, Do you carry chambered? Unchambered? Semi-autos... Thanks.

Semi auto round chambered. If you're not carrying in Condition 1, don't bother. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your LTC!

Semi auto round chambered. If you're not carrying in Condition 1, don't bother. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your LTC!

This. Proper trigger discipline and a quality modern firearm will negate any chance of a negligent discharge.

Welcome to NES. [grin]

If you're unsure of how to properly carry the sidearm of your choice, I would highly recommend getting yourself some additional training. GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry in MA course is a fabulous addition for someone who has only done the required MA Basic Pistol class.

To answer your question, I'm a cocked & locked kind of gal. If you're not comfortable carrying that way, you probably ought not carry a sidearm until you get more training.

If you're unsure of how to properly carry the sidearm of your choice, I would highly recommend getting yourself some additional training. GOAL's Art of Concealed Carry in MA course is a fabulous addition for someone who has only done the required MA Basic Pistol class.

Awesome advice. +howevermany

I always carry chambered. Unless you carry an old cowboy revolver or something very cheap or very old there is no reason not to.

I carry a Semi-auto Glock 30 & a Seecamp 32 on my ankle.

When I first began to carry, I kept the mag in my pocket. After a few weeks I began to carry with the mag in, unchambered. When I felt comfortable ( about 3 months ) I began to carry chambered. The way I see it, you want to be at ease with your weapon, so ease into it if you're unsure.

The downside is, it would suck for you if you needed it and you didn't have time to chamber a round.

I'm at the point now that I'm always armed, and I'm very comfortable with that. Good Luck & welcome.

If I carry, which is rare, I carry a G27 on my left hip as a cross draw. I don't chamber a round.

1911 cocked and locked whenever, where ever and however I carry it [smile]

My Kahr P40/Kel Tec .380 round chambered when IWB carrying. When at home I open carry them unchambered as they don't have safeties and I have 3 kids that like to jump on me.

This. A quality holster, proper trigger discipline and a quality modern firearm will negate any chance of a negligent discharge.

Fixed it for you.

I started out with a semi auto but I never really got comfortable with it. As reliable as they are, there are still many more things that can go wrong as opposed to a nice revolver. So that's what my wife and I carry now either in a pocket holster, cheapo uncle mikes (not recommended for a semi auto)or a crossbreed mini tuck depending on my attire and which ever one my wife isn't wearing.

First off, I'd never tell anyone how to carry. It's their life and they can live it how they please as long as it does not infringe on the law or my safety when I'm in their proximity.

Since this thread started off asking how I carry, I'll offer my views.

For all of you that advocate a round in the pipe, allow me to offer some old timer wisdom. Ammo can detonate from outside forces and if one is in the pipe, it goes out.

I know of static electricity that has caused an accidental discharge. I've been in a room that was on fire and been present when a loaded gun discharged from heat. The older 1911's and A1's, prior to a disconnector can discharge when dropped, or falls with you. The elevation needed is determined by the strength of the firing pin return spring and the material of the pin itself. I'm aware of electrical contact (110) that has caused a discharge.

So if you tell me to keep it in condition 1 under all circumstances, I will not hear you. I also think beyond the end of the barrel and dislike having a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, holstered and pointing at the floor when I know that there are people below that a 45 round could get to. I extend my thinking a little further than some others.

I've carried mil spec 45's since the 60's. It's my choice of cartridge and these days carry a P-14 with 2 extra mags. I always carry with a loaded mag in place and depending on where I am or where I am going, will or will not carry one in the chamber. That's my choice and my prerogative. I drill often enough on draw and slide movement, so I am at peace with an empty chamber. It's a requirement for people with semi auto's to be slide motion trained because Lord forbid when the SHTF and you catch a downward falling brass in an open slide and have a delayed stovepipe.

Now for some fun stuff. I can prove that you can legally carry a loaded shotgun uncased in the front of your vehicle. There are a couple conditions that need to be met, but it is legal. Legally discharging it is another matter entirely, I'm not going there. So if you want to talk paranoid and being forever in condition 1, then just toss that trusty, loaded 12 ga model 12 pump on your front seat and have at it.

First off, I'd never tell anyone how to carry. It's their life and they can live it how they please as long as it does not infringe on the law or my safety when I'm in their proximity.

For all of you that advocate a round in the pipe, allow me to offer some old timer wisdom. Ammo can detonate from outside forces and if one is in the pipe, it goes out.

I know of static electricity that has caused an accidental discharge. I've been in a room that was on fire and been present when a loaded gun discharged from heat. The older 1911's and A1's, prior to a disconnector can discharge when dropped, or falls with you. The elevation needed is determined by the strength of the firing pin return spring and the material of the pin itself. I'm aware of electrical contact (110) that has caused a discharge.

So if you tell me to keep it in condition 1 under all circumstances, I will not hear you. I also think beyond the end of the barrel and dislike having a round in the chamber, cocked and locked, holstered and pointing at the floor when I know that there are people below that a 45 round could get to. I extend my thinking a little further than some others.

I've carried mil spec 45's since the 60's. It's my choice of cartridge and these days carry a P-14 with 2 extra mags. I always carry with a loaded mag in place and depending on where I am or where I am going, will or will not carry one in the chamber. That's my choice and my prerogative. I drill often enough on draw and slide movement, so I am at peace with an empty chamber. It's a requirement for people with semi auto's to be slide motion trained because Lord forbid when the SHTF and you catch a downward falling brass in an open slide and have a delayed stovepipe.

Now for some fun stuff. I can prove that you can legally carry a loaded shotgun uncased in the front of your vehicle. There are a couple conditions that need to be met, but it is legal. Legally discharging it is another matter entirely, I'm not going there. So if you want to talk paranoid and being forever in condition 1, then just toss that trusty, loaded 12 ga model 12 pump on your front seat and have at it.

Why would just the round in the chamber discharge?

What is your location? How can you prove this? Precedent? or Interpretation?

Probably one of most ridiculous arguments I have seen in a looooong time.

So if you want to talk paranoid and being forever in condition 1, then just toss that trusty, loaded 12 ga model 12 pump on your front seat and have at it.
Even more stupidity.

I'll go you one better old man. I carry a pistol that does NOT have a thumb safety in condition one all day every day.

I'm guessing it takes a lot of training to make an empty chamber beat a loaded chamber.... I encourage anyone who considers this a good idea to actually try it. Maybe under routine range conditions, with no stress, you're only a little bit slower to the first shot with an empty chamber. However, now consider a self-defense scenario. Your motor skills don't work quite as well, and you might not even have two hands to rack that slide(injury, defending yourself with your support hand, pushing a loved one out of the line of fire, etc). Are you prepared to run your gun one-handed, while under stress, and actually deliver a shot before the bad guy? I consider an empty chamber to be an extra step that could make a serious difference in who prevails.
With that being said, it takes good instruction and confidence to carry a firearm in a condition of readiness at all times. Definitely seek professional training, and never be afraid to ask "beginner" questions. That's how we all learn.

So I guess I'm an unthinking, careless a-hole for carrying a 1911 cocked & locked for all these years. How come my gun hasn't magically shot people "below me" yet, or "went off in the pipe", as per your old time wisdom?

Last edited:
Smokey seven, Police officers and GI's carry with one in the chamber for a reason. That reason is that that few seconds more with racking your slide when your being shot at can cost you your life.

Last edited:
Personally, 50/50 for me. Bad areas, i'll chamber one.... good areas, back in the magazine. Not every safety is failproof, not every round of ammunition is manufactured flawless.

I trust nothing except a slight measure of caution and restraint...... and if it costs me one day, so be it. I can live with the choices i make. If your caught in a situation where you wouldn't have time to rack the slide, chances are you probably wouldn't have the time to draw either.
But this IS just Ink's humble opinion ^.^

We should set up some force on force scenarios. It will be, shall we say, interesting......

To the OP, I carry one in the Pipe, (condition 1) if its the 1911 which it is 98% of the time, cocked and locked. With over 28 years experience with firearms in general, and over 14+ years as an instructor, I always carry and teach to carry this way. Under perfect conditions like stated earlier, fine, but paper doesnt shoot back or go rape your family members and have you watch while it takes place, becuase your hand slipped off the slide or you just diddnt have the option to rack the slide.

YOU CANT TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS WITHOUT WAISTING TIME AND ENERGY, SO I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO TRY....

~Drew

For what its worth, I have just recently (couple months ago) got my LTC and I carry my 1911 every day in condition 1. I tried to read as much as I could without my eyes bleeding (haha) and the consensus was that this was the safest and most ready way someone could carry. When I first started carrying it I was a bit nervous but now I have no issues or qualms about it whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom