How do one get a Machine Gun license in mass

It is the same application that you use for applying for a FID or LTC. You just need to indicate on the application just what you are applying for.

Code:
CHECK THE TYPE OF LICENSE YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
[ ] FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD RESTRICTED (MACE/PEPPER SPRAY)
[ ] FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARD
[ ] CLASS B LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS NON-LARGE CAPACITY
[ ] CLASS A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS LARGE CAPACITY
[ ] LICENSE TO POSSESS A MACHINE GUN
[ ] CHECK IF CLASS A CLUB LICENSE *
* NOTE: ONLY THE COLONEL OF THE
MASSACHUSETTS STATE POLICE CAN ISSUE A
CLUB LICENSE.

First you have to get your C&R license or become a municipal police training committee certified firearms instructor, then you have to go to your chief with a bottle of his favorite scotch and a couple hookers, and ask him pretty please.

Seriously though, the C&R or instructor certification is the first step. After that, it's technically as simple as clinotus says, you just fill out the application. But it's up to your chief whether he/she will issue you one, just like an LTC.

First you have to get your C&R license or become a municipal police training committee certified firearms instructor, then you have to go to your chief with a bottle of his favorite scotch and a couple hookers, and ask him pretty please.

Seriously though, the C&R or instructor certification is the first step. After that, it's technically as simple as clinotus says, you just fill out the application. But it's up to your chief whether he/she will issue you one, just like an LTC.

I only know of two reasons that you can use to get a machine gun.
Reason 1: You are a bona-fide collector.
Reason 2: You are a law enforcement instructor.

The C&R license is the BATFE's "Collector of Curios and Relics" license. I send $30 to that entity every three years for mine (along with copies of that application to my local chief) Because it is the federal license specifically established to enable collectors to buy and trade firearms across state lines (etc), it happens to be a pretty good indication that are getting into the gun collecting hobby.

Because it is the federal license specifically established to enable collectors to buy and trade firearms across state lines (etc), it happens to be a pretty good indication that are getting into the gun collecting hobby.

The connection is even tighter than that. 501 CMR 6.02 specifically defines a C&R license holder as a "Bona Fide Collector of Firearms" for the purposes of MGL C 140 § 131(p). There are no other acceptable criteria for a "Bona Fide Collector" in the regulations.

Last edited:
Depends where in Mass. I got mine without a C&R. I do a C&R now though.

I don't believe the issuing of a 'collector' machine gun license without a C&R is technically warranted by the law. However, you are not the only one who I know who has had it issued that way, so it is clearly done. I certainly won't complain about one situation here in MA where the licensing authorities are being LESS restrictive than the law allows!

I don't believe the issuing of a 'collector' machine gun license without a C&R is technically warranted by the law. However, you are not the only one who I know who has had it issued that way, so it is clearly done. I certainly won't complain about one situation here in MA where the licensing authorities are being LESS restrictive than the law allows!

ch and sec? [wink]

( i want to say the law just says something to the effect of "bonafide collector"

how does one become a municipal police training committee certified firearms instructor?

1. get hired someplace as a police officer
2. convince your new boss to send you to 1 of only about 6 MPTC instructor classes held each year (and with the state budget cuts there are 0 such classes scheduled in 2009)

You're probably better off spending the $30 on a C&R license...[wink]

ch and sec? [wink]

( i want to say the law just says something to the effect of "bonafide collector"

I cited it above, but in more detail: C 140 S 131(o)(ii) says a license may be issued to "a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license." C 141 S 131(p) says the CHSB "shall promulgate regulations in accordance with chapter 30A to establish criteria for persons who shall be classified as bona fide collectors of firearms." Those criteria are established in 501 CMR 6.02, which says "An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Sections 921-929 and 27 CFR part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of this regulation"

A C&R FFL certainly helps. You don't have to have one to get a Green Card.

501 CMR 6.0:

A "bona fide collector of firearms," for the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment or other like purpose. For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license the acquisition of firearms for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona fide collector of firearms. An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Sections 921-929 and 27 CFR part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of this regulation.

If you have a C&R, you're a shoe-in, assuming your CLEO will issue MG licenses. If you don't have a C&R, you need to convince your CLEO that you fall into the definition of a bona fide collector, as laid out in the regulations.

--EasyD

Just for clarification, if you apply for a Machine Gun License and are denied, does it have any effect on your current issue LTC? Will you need to indicate that you've been denied a gun license in the registration form when buying a firearm, even though it's not your LTC that was denied?

Wondering as I've always contemplated getting a MG license as well.

Just for clarification, if you apply for a Machine Gun License and are denied, does it have any effect on your current issue LTC? Will you need to indicate that you've been denied a gun license in the registration form when buying a firearm, even though it's not your LTC that was denied?

good queston. if it does though you could ask before applying if you will be granted one to avoid this (and the app fee).

If you have a C&R, you're a shoe-in, assuming your CLEO will issue MG licenses. If you don't have a C&R, you need to convince your CLEO that you fall into the definition of a bona fide collector, as laid out in the regulations.

I now seem to recall we went around on this last time, too [grin]

The simple approach would be to first get your C&R (if you don't already have it), then sit down for a nice friendly talk with your chief. Ask if he would approve one if you were do apply, since you wouldn't want to waste your money and his time otherwise. If you don't like the answer, spend a couple of years trying to get on his good side, or wait until there's a new chief. Then repeat the process. That way you don't have to worry about a rejection or waste $100.

Ken

The simple approach would be to first get your C&R (if you don't already have it), then sit down for a nice friendly talk with your chief. Ask if he would approve one if you were do apply, since you wouldn't want to waste your money and his time otherwise. If you don't like the answer, spend a couple of years trying to get on his good side, or wait until there's a new chief. Then repeat the process. That way you don't have to worry about a rejection or waste $100.

Ken

Ken,

Do you know what the chances are in Westford? I'm a long ways off financially from being able to afford anything but it may be something to look forward to.

It's important for all those out there that want to get a MG license to realize that the cheapest MG they can get is going to be around $3,000, for a SWD M11/9. The average AR-15 conversion goes for around $10,000 and AK-47s can go for $14,000. Uzis are a steal at $6,000. The license without the MG is kinda a hollow victory. You might as well save the $100 unless you are going to buy a MG.

--EasyD

It is! Ron Glidden personally told me that he put the C&R FFL as a qualifier in the CMR to AVOID the confusion as to "what is a collector". He set a marker in the ground, so to speak, to actually help us out. It is NOT the only qualifier, but many were being rejected since the chiefs "interpreted" what a collector was. End result, one example in an ambiguous law/regulation . . . everything else (except MPTC Instructor) is left open to interpretation still.

YES! So be damn sure the chief will issue BEFORE applying, or it puts a stain on your record that you have to explain away for EVERY LTC (and every out of state license app that I have seen) forever!

Ken

Bingo! Listen to Ken, this is the best way. For S&Gs, I intend to ask my chief about it, although I have no intention of getting one at this point. There are some chiefs that have a policy of NOT issuing MG Licenses, period, end of story! No need to put a stain on your record attempting to get one in that case.

with this license would you be able to purchase/build any style of MG (Example M60, MP5, bushmaster ACR), or are you limited to older versions? also, you're allowed to fire them at places such as Harvard SC which have class 3 ranges?

with this license would you be able to purchase/build any style of MG (Example M60, MP5, bushmaster ACR), or are you limited to older versions? also, you're allowed to fire them at places such as Harvard SC which have class 3 ranges?

Go read the Mass NFA FAQ sticky that is on this board someplace....

But yes if you got the license and the $$$ you can buy whatever you want (so long as it was made before 1986)

And there are a number of clubs (well at least a few) around that are "class 3 friendly"...

with this license would you be able to purchase/build any style of MG (Example M60, MP5, bushmaster ACR), or are you limited to older versions?

You're pretty much just limited by what federal laws allow, which is only guns (or parts) that were registered with ATF before May of '86, unless you have the appropriate FFL.

MasterShinken said:
also, you're allowed to fire them at places such as Harvard SC which have class 3 ranges?

Yes, that's sort of the point of a 'class 3' range [wink]

When you ask your COP if he will issue the MGL, ask if he will sign off on your form 4's. Imagine a situation where you have the green card, pay $4000 up front for a Reising and can't get the form signed off. Jack.

When you ask your COP if he will issue the MGL, ask if he will sign off on your form 4's. Imagine a situation where you have the green card, pay $4000 up front for a Reising and can't get the form signed off. Jack.

One would hope that nobody in their right mind would issue the MG license without being willing to sign the forms. But, sadly, in this state... yours is probably wise advice [thinking]

does anyone have any experience with getting a MGL issued in Wilmington, MA?
The guy's down there were really nice about the LTC.

How many times do I have to shout this from the rooftops? [wink]

GO ASK THEM!

Really, they won't bite. Have a cordial sit-down and you will learn if it is worth spending the money or they just have a philosophy of "no mgs in my town". Try it, you'll be surprised at how nice people can be if you just ask for a civil conversation on the topic.

[NOTE: Not picking on you, you just gave me the opportunity to try to make the point again.]

Back
Top Bottom