How do I?

There is lot's of reference charts out there, here is a good one.

http://bestcompoundbowsource.com/compound-bow-draw-weight-chart/

The bows themselves are adjustable so as long as it is rated for her weight then adjust it to where she can comfortably pull it back, increase it as she gains muscle strength. Start low as we don't want to make it too difficult where they don't like it or it's too hard.

You go to a good archery shop with your daughter and they'll have equipment that she can work with to see what is best for her. And Cabela's and Bass pro are not good archery shops.

A good shop is a good place to start if they steer you in the right direction...which is.... Bows are a lot more adjustable than they used to be.....just make sure you buy a bow for adjustability or your kid will grow right out of it. Look for adjustability in both weight and length, and the only thing you'll have to change is arrow spine as the kid grows.

When my son was young the bows weren't as adjustable, I had to sell one or two through his 4-12 year old ages. Now they make some that will go way down in weight and length and all the way up to adult. If you do some research you'll find them.
Sometimes adjustable bows aren't always the best ones... and if they stick with it and start shooting hunting weight then you can always spring for a serious bow, with less adjustability.

When my son could pull 50 I got him a decent new bowtech and have changed draw length 3 times, from when he was 12 to 17 and the weight up to max as he grew. Now he has his bow til he feels like buying a new one and its a solid adult hunting bow. He's killed a dozen deer with it already in MA and CT and it's not even his 18th birthday yet.

I bought the bowtech over the Mathews because it was adjustable from 25-31" DL ..with the Mathews I would have had to change cams a bunch of times, instead of just loosening a few screws and moving the module.

Last edited:
I'll give a plug to Pelletiers Sports in Jaffery, NH. Not cheap on bows, but great service, no attitude, no tax, and very nice people. If I don't have time to press it and tune it myself, that's where it goes.

Back
Top Bottom