How Do I Press This Out?

Garys

NES Member
I have an older Savage pump action shotgun that I have been working on off and on for some time. I want to replace the spring and stud on the action release lever. The problem is that the stud was pressed into the lever at the factory. I'm sure they used a Machine Press to do that, but I don't have a tool that will press it out. I tried a hammer and punch, but that didn't even budge it and I was afraid that hitting it too hard would bend the lever itself.

Here is a picture of the back side of the lever showing the stud that needs to be pushed out. I think that I can put the new on in using a bench vice and some spacers.

Does anyone have or know of a a place where I can get that pressed out?

Thanks.

Attachments

• savage action release lever.jpg
    savage action release lever.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 33
I have an older Savage pump action shotgun that I have been working on off and on for some time. I want to replace the spring and stud on the action release lever. The problem is that the stud was pressed into the lever at the factory. I'm sure they used a Machine Press to do that, but I don't have a tool that will press it out. I tried a hammer and punch, but that didn't even budge it and I was afraid that hitting it too hard would bend the lever itself.

Here is a picture of the back side of the lever showing the stud that needs to be pushed out. I think that I can put the new on in using a bench vice and some spacers.

Does anyone have or know of a a place where I can get that pressed out?

Thanks.
A machine shop will have an arbor press, and can probably do it for you for a couple bucks. probably press in the new one for you afterward, too.

Or, for $65 you can have your very own chinesium press for future needs:

If you have a press pin that fits and a socket to catch, you could theoretically use a c-clamp or a vise or something similar to squeeze the old pin out. The trick would be juggling all the pieces and keeping them aligned as you tighten.

That's a thought. I have plenty of sockets and probably have an older C Clamp I could sacrifice to make into a press pin. Something to think about if a better idea doesn't come along.

If you have a press pin that fits and a socket to catch, you could theoretically use a c-clamp or a vise or something similar to squeeze the old pin out. The trick would be juggling all the pieces and keeping them aligned as you tighten.

Looking at more closely, you're correct. I managed to drill the stud out without damaging the action release itself. Now I just have to wait for the new parts to show up and peen the new stud in.

I wouldn't think that's pressed in, the metal is not thick enough to retain it. Most likely a peen'd piece that you'd have to grind the head off on.

The parts came in and I tackled the job. I assembled the spring and stud into the action release and used a bench vice to "peen" the stud. I tapped it a bit more with a large brass drift and hammer. I then sanded the peening marks flat. Now I just have to take the shotgun apart and put the new parts in.

Back
Top Bottom