1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

How do I guide my son?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Labrobot, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:10 AM.

1. centermass181

centermass181 NES Member

i stop and help every time i can, and that book really puts it in perspective what its like to be be of the fairer sex in this world.

enbloc and richc like this.

2. Picton

Picton NES Member

Okay. I’ll feed the troll.

So if I convert to Catholicism, I’ll suddenly be GTG on stopping to help change a tire.

But, since I was raised as a Muslim (sorry. Protestant.), I must be too full of myself to stop and help.

Is that really what you’re saying?

3. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

It's been forever since I saw a hitchhiker.
    I think when they started ending up in ditches with some regularity it lost it's appeal.
    You are correct about the people not respecting each other .
    I still blame the whole liberal attitude of all for me and screw everyone else.
    We had one flaming moonbat that used to live on our street.
    Guess who was the only one that would never lift a finger to help anyone else out , ever ?

4. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

Who's to say there aren't friends on this forum. Bet there are some who feel like family. There are a lot of meets and some who need help because of hardships that a lot of us donate to. I guess since it's a bunch of strangers we shouldn't help each other.

5. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

So if friends wouldn’t you call them? Did you read the first post from the guy with 7 posts? Nothing said about hardships or donating. I have no doubt there are friends on the forum. For the most part though we are strangers with common interests.

6. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

Point being, he was asking for an opinion. Even though we are strangers for the most part I don't see the problem with his question. I didn't read the link, only what he wrote.

7. oldguy68

oldguy68 NES Member

Take your sons hand and lead him safely across the road.
    When you get to the other side tell him you'll be there whenever he needs you.
    Especially when times are tough and he needs your help.
    Repeat said process until your last breath! Simple really!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM
  8. weekendracer

weekendracer

Jury nullification of the trials when the person sues, grant the defendant attorney's fees. When they wise up and start doing bench trials, make a law saying all civil suits must be held in a court of law. I'm not for laws, but this one kinda solves some of the overly litigious aspect of our society.

edit: to the point, I still stop and help. I don't normally offer rides though. I'll sit there until help arrives if need be.

9. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

That pretty much sums it up.

10. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

Or with more hotties...

11. chindogg

chindogg NES Member

I can't stand it when someone on here responds like this. Well thanks for your infinite wisdom. Can the OP pay you for more sage advice?

jrpascucci likes this.
  12. jrpascucci

jrpascucci NES Member

Not in the least. Of course Muslims and protestants can do good things - often because they are good people (put another way: in precisely the same way a stopped clock is right twice a day) and a heresy (which by definition contains some truth and some falsehood) can't corrupt everything true and good, some of it necessarily leaks through. Augustine was clear on this.

Instead, OP asked about how to "not fear the repercussions of doing good" and I told him precisely how, and the historical reasons why something other that the answer I gave is something lots of people think. Put another way, people today - left, right and center - are soaking in fear, and they don't know why. I just told him why.

I can understand how you'd think this was in some way about you, though. I'm sure you're not full of yourself, but I'm not so sure you're not full of something else.

13. Picton

Picton NES Member

I see. Well put. And very Christlike.

You're an outstanding representation of your faith. I can see you're well-versed on that whole "casting the first stone" thing.

Appreciate the condescension.

jrpascucci likes this.
  14. jrpascucci

jrpascucci NES Member

"Teacher, we know that you are true, and teach the way of God truthfully, and care for no man; for you do not regard the position of men. Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why put me to the test, you hypocrites?" As for your follow up, perhaps you'll remember this bit.

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand: one of the important ways of returning to what we may consider a more halcyon experience of the world is to build a habit of learning the truth, and then doing the good that follows. "Be the change you want to see in the world." Habits are your friend in heroism, just like practice is your friend in combat.

All the virtues are habits. Of the virtues - Cardinal (prudence, justice, temperance, and courage) and Theological (faith, hope and charity), all of them play their part in this particular moment.

For instance, if you have built a life-long habit of prudence (which doesn't mean knowing what's good for yourself, as many use it, but rather knowing the greater good: in this case, helping someone who appears to need help is the greater good), then it is vastly less likely to let you down. That's one of the reasons why you are supposed to do all things towards the very best of your ability: you form the habit of doing an excellence.

So, a moment's heroism is properly and best considered a product of the practices of the virtues in ways little and great that come together in a particular moment - usually in a life or death crisis. But, we talk about 'white martyrdom' to mean the practice of heroism - still valuable - in something other than life or death exigencies.

15. whatluck

whatluck

I keep a nice set of tools in my car and a nice 4 ton jack too, I hate seeing people struggle with scissor jacks so much.

richc and jrpascucci like this.
  16. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

One cold rainy morning before I left for work my wife handed me a bundled really thick towel she had just taken out of the clothes dryer. It was the only time she ever did that. On the way to work I cross an eight mile long bridge and tunnel under the bay. Coming out of the tunnel I saw a young female walking along the interstate in a literal downpour. I was driving a company van and we were forbidden to have non employee passengers. I stopped and offered her a ride. She was shivering uncontrollably. I gave her the warm towel and cranked the heat up.

She said she had been out the night before with friends and they abandoned her. I drove her to a convenience store a block from her home. She didn't want me to take her to the door.

Today there is the potential for that to bite you in the arse. False accusations that could ruin your whole life. Cell phones are pretty ubiquitous these days. People are generally not as stranded as they were 20 years ago.