How do folks end up with guns NIB?

I'm relatively new to gun ownership, so perhaps I'll understand in time, but how do folks end up with guns new in box? If I bought a gun, you can be sure I'd be itching to get it to the range ASAP. Do folks buy them as potential investments? Think they want it but never get out to the range and end up with a safe queen?

For some reason I keep looking at the classifieds on NES religously, even though I'm not in the market for a new gun. [laugh]

I have the same question, but I'm starting to understand a bit. My first gun had 200 rounds through it before the end of the day. My 5th gun has only around 40 rounds through it after a month. More guns, less rounds per gun, eventually, some don't get fired.

At least, that's my theory.

Some people just buy something on a whim and never get out to shoot it. Some folks also buy duplicates of guns they already own that they
really like.

The other common source of used but LNIB guns is guys who thought they were going to buy their wife/girlfriend a gun by choosing it for them. [grin] She loses interest, it sits in the safe, and then either the guy uses it or resells it to cut his losses.

With a couple of exceptions "NIB" can also be a pretty misleading term. EG, most pistols are never really "New Unfired". Chances are the factory fired it a few
times, depending on what it is. Some minimally used guns can be cleaned up and made to look like new. I had several guns which have had minimal evidence of
wear.

-Mike

New in box.

With a couple of exceptions "NIB" can also be a pretty misleading term. EG, most pistols are never really "New Unfired". Chances are the factory fired it a few times, depending on what it is. Some minimally used guns can be cleaned up and made to look like new. I had several guns which have had minimal evidence of wear.
-Mike

Lot of truth right there. [smile] I'd guess to most people NIB means no big scars that I think you'll notice. [laugh]

Some of us have a problem, lol. So many guns, so little time.

Tommy

Right on there Tom! LOL!

I've got a few things like that....mainly it's because i bought somehthing rare in MA for an investment.....I generally don't fire it until I'm absolutely sure it's something I'm going to keep. Or maybe I haven't had time to shoot it. Another reason is I always end up shooting my favorites and leaving the others in the safe.......

NIB varies to some...but to me is unfired by me (factory always fires it), as it comes from the factory.

Any gun for carry will lose it's NIB status quickly....because I won't carry something that has less than 500 thru it....

Last edited:
Some collect stamps, coins, cars etc.

And some collect guns that never leave the safe, I've seen many nice firearms, also one may think the owner is preserving a piece of history.

I am not a collector but love looking at other peoples collections.

I received a pistol as a present 6 months ago that is still NIB. I don't have any cleaning supplies for that caliber.

I also have an AK that I bought pre-Obama that I am saving for my son when he is old enough. It goes with the bottle of Stoli (circa 1991 - year he was born) that is labelled "Made in the USSR".

What I'd like to know is how some folks are getting non-mass compliant NIB pistols that they then sell here in the classifieds. I think I need to do some source trading with these folks. [wink]

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't afford to buy/have a gun that I'm not going to shoot. To all the folks that can buy something and then forget about it and let it sit in the safe, all I can say is, good for you, and, I'm jealous.

What I'd like to know is how some folks are getting non-mass compliant NIB pistols that they then sell here in the classifieds. I think I need to do some source trading with these folks. [wink]

It's called the Walter Sobchak trick......

"You want a TOE? I can get you a toe by this afternoon! WITH NAIL POLISH!"

-Mike

There's a thin line between collecting and mental illness. Some gun collectors aren't any different from those who fill their houses with these things:

precious_moments.jpg

If you watch the Nutnfancy videos, you can see how they can shoot 1000+ rounds a day. They're out in the desert, and they can make up all kinds of exciting games and simulations. Eastern mass is like 10lbs of sh*t in a 5 lb bag. Hard to find room where you can move around (if you like to move around in sh*t...you know what I mean). At most, I can go through a few hundred rounds while standing or moving around in a little box.

I received a pistol as a present 6 months ago that is still NIB. I don't have any cleaning supplies for that caliber.

I also have an AK that I bought pre-Obama that I am saving for my son when he is old enough. It goes with the bottle of Stoli (circa 1991 - year he was born) that is labelled "Made in the USSR".

That's awesome, he is a lucky son.

To OP,
There are many reasons people have NIB or LNIB guns. Some people buy on impulse and end up re-thinking their purchase and want to preserve value, others collect or save for investment, some are gifts and others just have more guns than time.

I have no NIB handguns. I do have a NIB carbines that my indoor range wont let me fire and I haven't got to the outdoor range with them yet.

some people find ways to get non MA compliant NIB guns and sell them on the forum solely for the purposes of making insane profits. SOme people buy guns and just want to keep them, some buy them and dont get to shoot them, there are tons of reasons.

Twice I've bought two at a time because somebody wanted or needed to get rid of two immediately, and the price was right. One may be the one you've been looking for, the other may be a duplicate of something you already have, or something you have no interest in using.

Hey! I take offense to that......those little figurines make great targets!

At $100+ a pop...no they don't, lladro is EXPENSIVE

I could see having an unfired gun, or a safe queen sometime in the future, if I get something really nice that has some inherent value (like an early model 1911 or the like). I haven't come even close to completing my "list of required guns," so unless someone gives me one of these specimens, I'll be shooting everything I buy for some time

I worked a full-time job, a part-time job, and went to night school for four years. I took Sunday afternoon off most weeks but had no time to handload and shoot. All of the money from the part-time job was spent on good quality firearms, both as an investment and to build an interesting collection that I knew I would be able to shoot later.

School is done, I dumped the part time job two years ago, and now I'm getting the guns out to shoot a few each year.

Any day that I want to celebrate I can just open the gun vault and pick out one that I have never tried before.[party]

The 80 hour weeks are paying off nicely, in more ways than one.[smile]
Most of the stuff that I bought is already worth twice or more what I paid for it.

Jack

One guy I know could bring 3 different guns to the range daily and not shoot them all in a year. That's just rifles.

Well, it's understandable why engraved guns sit. I fired my engraved Colt once to ensure functionality. Now it sits in the safe until I find someone to make a nice presentation case for it. My AR is unfired in the case because I'm waffling on which club to join where it can be shot. MVGC is a pistol club only (except .22RF).

I can sort of understand it though I try to avoid the mentality that might cause it.

I bought a 10/22 because it was a great deal. I really ought to take it out more but I also bought a couple of other guns within a period of a few months. I typically get to the range about once or twice per month so the 10/22 has only been taken out once. So it's not "NIB" but I have put very few rounds through it.

I also bought a Glock because I figured I should own one. I took it home, dry-fired it a bit (with snap caps) and decided it just wasn't for me.

To be honest I only have one gun that I have not fired, its a S&W 642 that should see some use soon. I could even try this week as I'm still out of work.

Tommy

some people find ways to get non MA compliant NIB guns and sell them on the forum solely for the purposes of making insane profits.

I hope they don't forget to give uncle sam his share. Wouldn't want to get in trouble for tax evasion now would we......Then again they probably consider that one of the "ok" laws to break.

Back
Top Bottom