How do folks end up with guns NIB?

Lots of NIB Walther PP's and PPk's on the market here.
They usually come from old hunters or people who bought them back in the day when laws were way less restrictive.
Now that there are stringent regulations as to safe storage they don't want to invest into appropriate safes and either bring these guns to market or even turn them in to authorities.
The current going rate for NIB Walther Ulm manufactured PP's and PPk's is somewhere around $ 70[smile]

Lots of NIB Walther PP's and PPk's on the market here.
They usually come from old hunters or people who bought them back in the day when laws were way less restrictive.
Now that there are stringent regulations as to safe storage they don't want to invest into appropriate safes and either bring these guns to market or even turn them in to authorities.
The current going rate for NIB Walther Ulm manufactured PP's and PPk's is somewhere around $ 70[smile]

So how does one go about purchasing and importing some of these???:)

At $100+ a pop...no they don't, lladro is EXPENSIVE

I could see having an unfired gun, or a safe queen sometime in the future, if I get something really nice that has some inherent value (like an early model 1911 or the like). I haven't come even close to completing my "list of required guns," so unless someone gives me one of these specimens, I'll be shooting everything I buy for some time

100 bucks!! Holy ShXXt....Shows you what I know about them.....I wouldn't pay a dollar for all of them.....

I've seen it a number of times, people buy guns and are intimidated by them. They put them in the closet and hope to someday go shooting. Sometimes that day never comes.

I just had a frieind call me last week, he bought a S&W 686 6" revolver that someone bought 19 years ago, fired 6 rounds and never fired it again. He paid $200 for this gun.

Maybe newbies that have never shot much are.....but I'd say most that own and shoot guns on a regular basis would not claim to be intimidated by them.......

I know guys that buy big guns just for the rush of shooting them.....the cost of the ammo is the reason why they are safe queens....

Last edited:
I know guys that buy big guns just for the rush of shooting them.....the cost of the ammo is the reason why they are safe queens....

That's pretty much why I bought the Ruger Super Redhawk that I have. I wanted a big bore revolver so I settled on that in a trade. I have shot it a couple times but I don't see myself getting a lot of use out of it so my brother is going to buy it off me. At least I know if I want to shoot it still I can always ask him to bring it along.[smile]

Not wanting to shoot an older military firearm that has not been shot since manufacture or a rebuild (documented) is understandable. Like a Persian Mauser built in 1934 with bayonet, scabbard and test target (5 shots fired)...all matching serial #'s; or perhaps a M1903-A3 Smith Corona aresenal rebuild still in cosmoline and wrap. Some would consider these to be NIB, others would not. I'd look at the Persian as NIB, but not so much the Smith Corona.....which would be a fine basis for a new stock and perhaps refinishing some of the worn metal parts. A gorgeous rifle might come out of a project like that....[smile]

You will understand once you start purchasing many guns and have a safe full. It is not the same as when you have 5, 10 even 15 guns, it gets to the point that you don't get a chance to shoot all the guns you purchase or you just don't care to.
You will end up with favorite guns you shoot all the time and some you don't.

With many things, guns, knives, flashlights, shoes, when I find one I really like and plan to use all the time, I get a spare in case I lose or damage the first. Later, if I move on to something else before getting to use the spare, I might sell it off and it would still be NIB (ok, except the shoes, never sold any of them off).

You will understand once you start purchasing many guns and have a safe full. It is not the same as when you have 5, 10 even 15 guns, it gets to the point that you don't get a chance to shoot all the guns you purchase or you just don't care to.

1 safe?? [laugh] I bought a new without box Browning hunting rifle from a member here. It still had the red paint dot on the mag follower that comes off after only a couple rounds. He sold it because he lives in a shotgun only area.

I don't think I've ever bought a new-to-me gun and not fired it within a few hours of aquisition.

ETA: yup, WWII Luger. Had to replace the extractor and ejector first. [grin]

I bought one recently that had originally been purchased in 2001 and never shot. The original owner bought it, and then had a vindictive soon to be ex-wife file a bullshit restraining order (fyi not this guy's story, but from a retired police captain that was selling it on his behalf). He lost the gun one week after buying it.

Me... I'm glad I have it, but feel bad for the poor bastard. I've decided to keep it NIB and give it to my son when he turns 21 and he has his LTC.

FYI it is a CZ75B, and it is one of my favorites. I already own one, and just could not pass this one up as they are so hard to get in MA.

Could not have said it better myself.

I have many that I have no interest in ever firing.

I'm very suspicious of any gun advertised "NIB" that's not sold by a dealer - as far as I'm concerned, unless the seller is an FFL the gun is used. And I think it's sacrilege to buy a gun and not shoot it (exceptions made for antiques, display guns, etc).

That being said, there are plenty of "like new" guns out there. I've bought a couple guns that were bought new, fired once (only a few rounds), and then sold. Often I've gotten what's left of the only box of ammo to go through the gun. Reasons vary - owner decided he didn't like the gun, needed the money, or (this has happened more than once) got busted by the wife.

I will admit, though, that I'm not quite as responsive as I used to be to my new firearms. When I bought my first gun, I drove directly to the range, but 200 rounds through it, and spent the night rubbing it with a cloth. I used to shoot it 3-5 times a week, now it comes out 3-5 times a year.

The most recent gun I bought got tossed into the trunk, and I didn't shoot it for a good 2-3 weeks. I still haven't cleaned it.

Once in awhile when I probe the nooks and cranny's of local gun shops, I will find a gem among the dust and cobwebs.

If, like recently, I find a gun 50 or more years old, and doesn't look like the cylinder has ever been turned, I'll keep them in that condition. I have a handful of guns like this. Beautiful works of metal and wood art. I have other well used guns for the sand pit!

Not me. The only guns I shoot more than my .460 are my carry gun and the G17 that I'm doing a torture test on. Recoil never gets old!

Guns come in boxes? Next you'll try to tell me they are supposed to have serial numbers...

Ummmm, BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAA![rofl][laugh2]

what he said.

Once in awhile when I probe the nooks and cranny's of local gun shops, I will find a gem among the dust and cobwebs.

If, like recently, I find a gun 50 or more years old, and doesn't look like the cylinder has ever been turned, I'll keep them in that condition. I have a handful of guns like this. Beautiful works of metal and wood art. I have other well used guns for the sand pit!

and what he said.

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't afford to buy/have a gun that I'm not going to shoot. To all the folks that can buy something and then forget about it and let it sit in the safe, all I can say is, good for you, and, I'm jealous.

If you filled your gun safe with $190 kel-tek 9mms or other non mass compliants prior to the "LIST" era you'd be sitting on a pretty good return on investment.

I bought a couple closeout guns at a local wallyworld when the new sporting goods manager cleaned out old stock from the infamous "cage." I have a couple black powder rifles that remain NIB from that day going on 10 years ago. I bought them at 40¢ on the dollar.

Back
Top Bottom