How dangrous is casting your own?

I have toyed around with the idea of casting my own (not much to do in the winter in Vermont). I would like to know health wise how dangerous is it? Is the lead a problem. Is alloy better than lead? Or mixed? I have two kids in the house and I would be casting in my work shop in the basement of my house. Good idea? Bad idea?
thanks
Ric

mixed pure lead for mussel loaders I am getting back in it I am going to vent it up my chimney with one of those bathroom power vents make a hood for it if you use clean lead make less smoke wash hands after casting I cast outside when its warm out and buy a good book on casting Robert

When casting with lead, you should be heating the lead to something between 625-850 degrees. Lead does not emit "lead fumes", or become an airborne hazard until something like 1200 degrees. So, for casting boolits with something like a Lee pot, you should be fine. However, if smelting over a flame with no temp control, I would advise you to stay outside, and wear a respirator.

The biggest hazard in casting is lead ingestion when I cast I am handling the lead ingots and the actual bullets. As soon as I finish casting I wash my hands thoroughly with a pumice type soap such as Boraxo or Gojo.

The danger is in the conversion of wheel weights to ingots. The wheel weights are covered with:
1) Paint
2) Grease/oil
3) Who knows what else

There are GREAT plumes of smoke, which neither you nor your family want to be inhaling when converting the wheel weights to ingots.

All of that part of the process should be done OUTDOORS!

I'm with duke on this one..... Initial smelting from raw material to ingots should be done outdoors due to all the crap that usually burns off as well as when fluxing....

I would not consider casting with clean ingots to be a problem indoors.....

The danger is in the conversion of wheel weights to ingots. The wheel weights are covered with:
1) Paint
2) Grease/oil
3) Who knows what else

There are GREAT plumes of smoke, which neither you nor your family want to be inhaling when converting the wheel weights to ingots.

All of that part of the process should be done OUTDOORS!

I cast from ingots indoors, with a modified range hood ducted to the outdoors. I do all my smelting outdoors. With all the different opinions on lead levels and safety I feel better getting all the nasty crap done in the fresh air. Plus, if there was ever an accident with 40-50 pounds of molten lead I feel better repairing a small section of lawn over replacing the contents of my house.

rvulcan, Duke put on quite a show and is kind of in your neck of the woods, I think he is putting another clinic together. Use the search and you will find a bunch about casting.

Castboolits.com is the best source in my opinion.

Casting bullets is potentially hazardous to your health and you do not need to raise the temp to 1200 degrees to have problems. Casting in your home is pure insanity. You need some serious ventilation (the exhaust fan in my shop can vent all of the air every five minutes or so) or do your casting outdoors. You must also avoid physical contact with the lead as much as possible. Casting can be a fun hobby, but only when done in the proper location following established procedures.

Casting bullets is potentially hazardous to your health and you do not need to raise the temp to 1200 degrees to have problems. Casting in your home is pure insanity. You need some serious ventilation (the exhaust fan in my shop can vent all of the air every five minutes or so) or do your casting outdoors. You must also avoid physical contact with the lead as much as possible. Casting can be a fun hobby, but only when done in the proper location following established procedures.

And don't forget to wear a condom, a hockey helmet, and a pair of leather mittens.

rvulcan, Duke put on quite a show and is kind of in your neck of the woods, I think he is putting another clinic together. Use the search and you will find a bunch about casting.

A big plus for duke and his casting workshop! Was able to attend and he did a great job!

We're working on doing it again in the Spring, for all of those who missed the workshop last fall.
A link to the current thread is here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ANNOUNCEMENT-2010-Spring-Cast-Bullet-Workshop

Still looking for a place to host this one that's more central to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom