• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How "concealed" is concealed?

Hi all... I hope this is the right section for this thread[thinking] ?

I have been carring for about a year and a half. Until now, I have been using an IWB holster and have had no problems concealing my firearm. I recentally purchased an OWB holster to compare the concealability and comfort of the two types of holsters. The new OWB holster is very low profile and with the exception of the lower portion of the holster(about 2 & 1/2 inches) that extends down past my belt the holster conceals just as well as my IWB holster.

I was wondering how many of you use OWB holsters and if you have had any problems with concealing your firearm? The last thing I want is to have problems with LE or causing others concern by being "observed" carrying a firearm. I have found that the OWB holster is significantally more comfortable and would prefer to use it, provided its not gonna get my LTC revoked[thinking] ?

I use an OWB and don't really have any problems concealing. The only issue I've ever had is grabbing something off the top shelf at a store. In which case I just hold my hand on my shirt to make sure it stays concealed.

Actually, thats one of the things that will expose my OWB holster. The other is bending over. Unless I wear a sport coat or parka length jacket, there is no %100 reliable way of not having that small portion of the holster be exposed. I guess I am wondering if its a better idea just to use the IWB and not worry about having any problems. It seems some people have different ideas of what concealed means(I've asked lots of people and get totally different responses). Are there any actual "legal" standards for determining what concealed is?

derek said:
I use an OWB and don't really have any problems concealing. The only issue I've ever had is grabbing something off the top shelf at a store. In which case I just hold my hand on my shirt to make sure it stays concealed.

I would tend to agree with my esteemed colleague of the USMC.

The only secret is to make sure that your gun stays concealed. If a couple inches of your holster is peeking out from under your cover garment, that gun is not properly concealed.

The risk you take with an unconcealed gun is getting your LTC suspended or revoked due to your supposed lack of judgment and unsuitability.

If you get the right IWB holster, a quality holster, like one from Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen, it should prove every bit as comfortable as an OWB rig, and be much easier to properly conceal.

Cross-X said:
If you get the right IWB holster, a quality holster, like one from Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen, it should prove every bit as comfortable as an OWB rig, and be much easier to properly conceal.

Yep.

I would be willing to bet that most of the weapons that are seen are OWB holsters. I think IWB is the most effective way to conceal. I just personally like the OWB.

derek said:
Yep.

I would be willing to bet that most of the weapons that are seen are OWB holsters. I think IWB is the most effective way to conceal. I just personally like the OWB.

For my 1911, I have become quite fond of my Milt Sparks Watch 6. It holds it tight to the body, is secure, and permits one-handed reholstering. Not too pricey, either.

Cross-X said:

Provided that you're not Fatty McButterpants like myself. Then you would have to buy all new clothes two or three inches larger than you normally wear, as well as a larger belt.

C-pher,

Getting some new clothes, and a new belt or two, is not necessarily a bad thing. Some would consider it is just another price to be paid for carrying a concealed gun in MA.

BTW... I also prefer IWB carry. I found the best holster in my opinion to the the CTAC holster from Comp-Tac. I have recommended this holster to everyone I talk to about holsters. Folks that actually do try the holster, are hooked. One of the cool things about the manufacture (aside from unbelievable customer service) is that they offer a 30 day return policy. So if you don't like it, you can return it.

Adam

My current IWB holster is a MS VM-2 and the OWB holster I purchased is an Allesi CQC/S. I also have already made changes in my clothing. For the last year I have purchased all of my clothing in larger sizes(TO acomodate an IWB holster, ect.). I also purchased a decent belt designed for supporting a holster/firearm. My daily dress is always casual, and I have the option to wear anything I want, so my choice of cover garments is almost unlimited. In fact the only limitations on cover garments is the weather.....

So far I have not used the OWB to actually carry. I didn't want to take the risk, however slight. I don't want to "over think" this issue, but I also dont want to be a "BLACK EYE" to my CLEO or my fellow citizens who CCW.

Thanks for all of your replies and info... N_O

Last edited:
derek said:
Is there a law any where in MA against OPEN CARRY? [devil2]

Trouble is, Derek, I don't know of any judges who would find this practice acceptable.

Context matters. If you are trooping around in the woods, lawfully carrying a gun, open carry would likely arouse no special scrutiny. Leaving your gun exposed for all to see at your local Starbucks would probably raise an eyebrow or three.

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
Trouble is, Derek, I don't know of any judges who would find this practice acceptable.

Context matters. If you are trooping around in the woods, lawfully carrying a gun, open carry would likely arouse no special scrutiny. Leaving your gun exposed for all to see at your local Starbucks would probably raise an eyebrow or three.

I know. [smile] I was just [pot]

Cross-X said:
I would tend to agree with my esteemed colleague of the USMC.

The only secret is to make sure that your gun stays concealed. If a couple inches of your holster is peeking out from under your cover garment, that gun is not properly concealed.

The risk you take with an unconcealed gun is getting your LTC suspended or revoked due to your supposed lack of judgment and unsuitability.

I keep hearing secondhand about this "risk", but never have known it to actually occur.

I forget exactly where, but a gentleman got his ALP LTC reduced to an FID on renewal because his coat got blown open while carrying a hotdog and a soda out of a store. a LEO spotted his gun and asked to see his licence. The LEO let him go telling him to be more careful.

When he renewed this "black eye" was enugh for the Cheif to reduce him to a FID.

So it can and DOES happen.

I first read about this on Massbackwards, so I'm sure Bruice can dredge up the article.

-Weer'd Beard

re: Concealment

I carry OWB most of the time that I do carry and have
never been made, at least as far as I know. :)

The criteria I use is any "blatant gun print outline" in your clothing
is questionable... anything below that, and you probably won't
get made. A good gun belt and holster helps a lot to keep it
tucked close to your body. You may need to experiment with positioning
to get the best results.

An important thing to remember.... most people arent paying attention,
anyways. You won't arouse suspicion if you simply act normally... mannerisms
are more likely to compromise concealment than anything else.
But really, most folks are oblivious.

-Mike

Cross-X said:
Do you really think so?

Got a cite to the law that establishes this requirement? [thinking]

Well, according to GOAL:

Differences Between a Class A and Class B License To Carry

• A person with a Class B license is forbidden to carry “concealed and loaded on a public way”.... The penalty is license
suspension or revocation, and a fine of $1,000 to $10,000. C. 140, §131, paragraph (b)

From Mass General Laws:
(b) A Class B license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) non-large capacity firearms and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of such firearm

Coyote33 said:
Actually, it is required by law for a Class B I believe.

Course there is a cart and horse problem with this.... even if it is
statutorily legal.

Any issuing authority that rams an LTC-B down your throat will more than likely revoke (via the unsuitable person thing) your license if they found out you were carrying openly.

-Mike

By denying your ability to carry concealed, doesn't that encourage you to do the only alternative if you want to carry? Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Anyone know a lawyer?

("If it wasn't for all these lawyers, we wouldn't have so many lawyers.")

[pot]

Last edited:
Coyote33 said:
Anyone know a lawyer?

Yep sure do. He just happens to be the one that just warned you against open carry. But why not go ahead and do it, so you can tell us all first hand how it goes.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Yep sure do. He just happens to be the one that just warned you against open carry. But why not go ahead and do it, so you can tell us all first hand how it goes.

Adam
Sarcasm seems lost on you.

[laugh]

Well I think it's about time for this oldie but goodie...

tw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom