How backed up is CT for renewals?

late08

NES Member
I am trying to renew my out of state permit, I sent the application back in May - have heard nothing back yet and my permit expires at the end of September. I even ended up sending in another renewal application early in August with a new check, just in case.

I tried to email them, but get no response.

Both went certified mail and I have the signature and the Country Club Road notation in the return receipt.

Have you tried calling them?

THEY would be the best source on hold ups (pun not intended).

I did - but a human does not pick up the phone anymore, its just a long message saying they cannot check on status due to the volume of applications they are receiving. I was just curious if this is happening to everyone trying to renew (or applying for a new permit).

The last time I renewed it was a fast process and folks answered the phone.

I mailed my renewal in July 1st and had it back the second week of August, about two weeks before it expired. And I had my new ltc for a week before they cashed the check.

I hope that you didn't mess up their system with your second application.

Bureaucracies do not tend to respond well to unusual situations.

There's a suit about that...

Just for comparison, I just received this automated email from a Georgia based firearms forum that I follow:

1631042003205.png

I have GA resident and CT non-resident permits. A friend of mine just got his state issued permit, (turned in his local one and payment) - it was his FIFTH attempt to get the state issued permit. Got sent home four times previously because they were going to close before they could wait on him.

I don't believe that CT has a valid excuse for this crap. Nor MA for that matter. If GA can do this, I see no reason that any other state can't.

I hope that you didn't mess up their system with your second application.

Bureaucracies do not tend to respond well to unusual situations.
Me too, but it is what it is. I sent in the second one since I realized I sent in a passport photo with my glasses on the first time around. Oddly I heard nothing about it and I figured someone might have tossed it on the pile. I have the signed return receipts for both.

Usually CT is pretty straight forward for renewals, never had a problem before.

I did try to call, but it basically says they cannot find out where renewals are in the system. There is no number to hit to get a live person either AFAIK, I tried "0" and it say it was an invalid selection.

CT's renewal process is totally bogged down.

If you have been on CCDL's forum on FB, you will hear what a horror show the Licensing Division has become. This is the same group of people who pick up the phone to do approvals for transfers and its a total cluster eff.

I won't suggest that you do this, but this is what I would do if I was in your situation. Print out confirmation that the application envelope was received and was signed for. If your PP expires before you receive a new card, continue to carry with your old PP, proof of delivery and a copy of your renewal on you.

My PP renewed summer of 2020. I sent it in and roughly 3 months later I got a new PP.

Of course I sent mine in 3 or 4 months before the old one expired.

you DO NOT have to wait for the state to send you a renewal form to begin your renewal. You can print out a copy of the form from the DESPP web site and send it in early.

CT's renewal process is totally bogged down.

If you have been on CCDL's forum on FB, you will hear what a horror show the Licensing Division has become. This is the same group of people who pick up the phone to do approvals for transfers and its a total cluster eff.

I won't suggest that you do this, but this is what I would do if I was in your situation. Print out confirmation that the application envelope was received and was signed for. If your PP expires before you receive a new card, continue to carry with your old PP, proof of delivery and a copy of your renewal on you.

My PP renewed summer of 2020. I sent it in and roughly 3 months later I got a new PP.

Of course I sent mine in 3 or 4 months before the old one expired.

you DO NOT have to wait for the state to send you a renewal form to begin your renewal. You can print out a copy of the form from the DESPP web site and send it in early.

Thanks for the info - I did send it return receipt, so I do that the signature that it was received. I also have a copy of the renewal I sent in (both).

The one I sent in back in August (to correct the passport photo issue) is going on 8 weeks, so still less than the backup time.

I guess we will see what happens.

Also, I thought the PP had a 90 day grace? Was that just for the renewal action and its not actually good to carry on during that time?

Back in January, my wife and I sent in our CT renewals toward the end of the month. Our permits expired mid-April, and we were in the grace period (don't remember how far) when we got our new ones.

Governor Lamont signed an executive order in 2020 extending the grace period to 180 days, and as far as I know, it's still in effect.

View: https://m.facebook.com/connecticutstatepolice/photos/a.1700561190173225/2648916425337692/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EHH-R

Its really not your problem.

You can send in your renewal officially 3 months before it expires. Realistically you can send it in 5 months ahead of time. DO NOT wait for the state to send you a form. Print it from the DESPP web site. Follow the instructions and mail it in. Don't do it in person. Unless you are an idiot and enjoy hitting yourself in the head with a ball peen hammer.

If you mail it in 4 months ahead of time you are covered for 7 months. Since there is a 90 day grace period. YOU CAN CARRY DURING THE GRACE PERIOD on the expired permit.

Just wanted to close the loop. I got my permit about 2.5 months from when I sent the *corrected* application. The application I sent back in April, with the wrong picture, I never heard about one way or another. That being said, double check what you send in, its possible that they might not have the time (or process) to send applications back if there are mistakes or things missing.

Just wanted to close the loop. I got my permit about 2.5 months from when I sent the *corrected* application. The application I sent back in April, with the wrong picture, I never heard about one way or another. That being said, double check what you send in, its possible that they might not have the time (or process) to send applications back if there are mistakes or things missing.
That's crazy.

When I first applied in NH, I dropped off my application along with my adult daughter's. We had just moved here, and only a couple of people in town knew us.

That was on Wednesday. The next day, someone called my daughter to verify her name change (we don't share DNA, but she changed her birth name to my name when she was 23).

And on Friday morning, the PD called to say our permits were ready to pick up.

I received the pistol permit renewal form a couple days ago.
My question for anyone that has mailed the renewal and received the new permit is did you just send the renewal form (that already has your info filled out) pic attached,copy of birth certificate and photo ID and notarized with a check for 70.00 and self addressed stamped envelope ?
Or did you also send a DPS-129-C-2 and anything else ?

I received the pistol permit renewal form a couple days ago.
My question for anyone that has mailed the renewal and received the new permit is did you just send the renewal form (that already has your info filled out) pic attached,copy of birth certificate and photo ID and notarized with a check for 70.00 and self addressed stamped envelope ?
Or did you also send a DPS-129-C-2 and anything else ?

1. Out-of-state pistol permits may be renewed by mail. Effective 10/01/11, in-state renewals may also be completed by mail.
2. Confirm the accuracy of the information on DPS-129-C. If corrections are required, draw a single line through any incorrect information and write in the correct information. Sign the corrected form in the presence of a notary prior to mailing.
3. Using transparent tape, attach a 2” x 2” color passport photo, taken within the previous six (6) months, in the box provided. 4. Include a $70.00 check or money order made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.” Do not send cash.
4. Proof of legal and lawful presence in the United States is required. Acceptable forms of proof include a birth certificate, U.S. passport, or documentation of permanent residence from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Do not send originals.
5. Include a self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope

SOURCE: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DESPP/CSP/files/DPS-769-C.pdf

Linked to from: Connecticut State Pistol Permit

Following. I moved (again) in-state in NH. I've had a CT non-res permit for at least 20 years. In the past, I could could send a letter or email to change the address. By email, I'd receive back an email saying it was updated in the system and to put a sticker on my permit with the new address. This last time, I emailed the change of address on December 12th, 2021 and have not even received an automated email reply.

Dumb question from a dumbass who missed his renewal date. Got a Non-res permit and time flew by...Missed renewal... (Expired 2/14....Yah I know. Flame me later)

Question is do I have to do the whole enchilada again? I assume I know the answer but thought one of the CT SME's could save me some internet Google- Fu and my own interps.. Thx

Dumb question from a dumbass who missed his renewal date. Got a Non-res permit and time flew by...Missed renewal... (Expired 2/14....Yah I know. Flame me later)

Question is do I have to do the whole enchilada again? I assume I know the answer but thought one of the CT SME's could save me some internet Google- Fu and my own interps.. Thx

If you lose your renewal letter or fail to receive a letter in the mail, you may obtain a replacement form by clicking on renewal application below before going to a renewal location. State pistol permit holders are granted a 90 grace period to renew their permit. Permits expired beyond 90 days will not be renewed.

Source: Connecticut State Pistol Permit

If you lose your renewal letter or fail to receive a letter in the mail, you may obtain a replacement form by clicking on renewal application below before going to a renewal location. State pistol permit holders are granted a 90 grace period to renew their permit. Permits expired beyond 90 days will not be renewed.

Source: Connecticut State Pistol Permit
Thx allen-1...

I do not recall ever getting a renewal letter as is mentioned. yesterday I did sign up for a "get your CT LTC class happening in a few weeks here in MA. Provides the pictures, forms, prints etc. So either way I should be all set.. Thx again!

Back
Top Bottom