• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How are YOU carrying striker-fired pistols?

When you CCW, are you carrying your striker-fired pistol (no safety) with one in the chamber?

Glocks have the 'trigger safety'. P365s have safeties. Over the years I have opted for DA/SA semiautos and carried hammer-down.

I don't like Glocks or M&Ps due to the long trigger pull. I am leaning towards the P365 for my next CCW gun.

Your saftey is your finger IMO. If one isn't comfortable carrying a loaded gun, that's usually due to lack of experience in handing + shooting it. Still, better to have a gun without a round in the chamber than leaving it at home.

Carrying without a round in the chamber/with a saftey are just an extra steps that can easily get F-ed up when you need to use the gun under stress, which often times is due to an immediate threat (ex: somebody trying to rob you, pulled a knife, impending assault/battery, etc). Lots of people under duress can fumble with this stuff, short stroke the slide, etc.

I've heard of studies where LEOs failed to get shots off under stress/time with handguns with manual safeties. Either way, practice with what you have.

Considering the rape tax on Glocks in MA the P365 is a good choice.

Now years ago I had been carrying J and K frame revolvers for 10 years when I got my first Glock, and it took me a while to get comfortable with carrying one in the pipe, for the longest time I was carrying it without a chambered round because of the lack of a distinct safety.

Once I got away from cheap holsters and into leather ones with a thumb break I was a lot more comfortable with one in the pipe...

Most good striker fired pistols with a holster where the trigger is covered, and good retention qualities are fine for EDC IMHO

Here's what I'm concerned about - If I am at work and my gun is locked in my desk, or in my glovebox/under the seat while I drive with one in the chamber, do I need to ever worry about it firing?
if you have a standard non-protruding striker pin with a stock spring - it is not supposed to. it will keep it inside safely.
if 'modified' - well.

ps. does not apply to sig, that shit can do whatever.

Here's what I'm concerned about - If I am at work and my gun is locked in my desk, or in my glovebox/under the seat while I drive with one in the chamber, do I need to ever worry about it firing?
I would not be concerned. Basically all modern, quality pistols, espectially the striker fire ones you talk about, are what's called "drop safe." They won't go off unless the trigger is pulled. You could take a glock and throw it down the stairs, not going to go off.

This really isn't a concern for most guns produced in the last 100 years. Think of it this way, your pistol is shaken, vibrated, etc more as you carry it than it would be sitting in a desk or glovebox. What makes you think it'd go off there but not in your waistband?

I say you should just go to the range more, maybe take a concealed carry type or pistol marksmanship class. A lot of ranges like MFS offer that, and I think Eddie Coyle/MassGunOwnership advertises some offerings like that.

My EDC gained consciousness and has a mind of its own now. Never know when that thing is gonna go off.

No.

Mechanical failure causing me to be charged with involuntary manslaughter

While it's sitting in a bag?

Honestly? If you're that scared about mechanical failure from a reputably-manufactured gun like a CZ or a SIG, then you should just leave one out of the chamber.

It's not going to "go off by itself" as long as you get a decent holster that covers the trigger.

While it's sitting in a bag?

Honestly? If you're that scared about mechanical failure from a reputably-manufactured gun like a CZ or a GLOCK, then you should just leave one out of the chamber.

It's not going to "go off by itself" as long as you get a decent holster that covers the trigger.
Fixed it for you… we all know every Sig goes off by itself.

Honestly OP if you are that worried about your gun having a mechanical failure while sitting in your desk I think you need to spend more time with it at the range. As others said get a quality holster that covers the trigger guard and don’t f*** around with it.

Back
Top Bottom