• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How are things in Maine?

I plan on moving to Maine in the next 2 or 3 years and I was just curious about how the gun laws differ versus things here in the PRM.

So how does Maine compare to Massachusetts?
Is it easy to get a LTC-A?

Also, if you can suggest some resources that I can look into for more information, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

All Maine licenses are LTC-A (ALP) for the simple reason that you don't need a license for anything else. While it takes longer than NH, costs more, and has a little more paper work, licenses are "shall issue". On the down side, there's a longer list of places one can't carry legally even with a license.

Ken

Maine is a shall issue state, and is also free by default. (eg, merely having
guns does NOT require a permit/license of any kind). The permit only
exists for the sake of CCW.

Additionally, I believe that most C3 type toys are also legal in ME, eg, MG's and
supressors, and possibly SBRS/SBS's.

-Mike

All Maine licenses are LTC-A (ALP) for the simple reason that you don't need a license for anything else. While it takes longer than NH, costs more, and has a little more paper work, licenses are "shall issue". On the down side, there's a longer list of places one can't carry legally even with a license.

Ken

Ken- since I carry occationally in Maine I'm curious to find a good source for these restrictions. I just reviewed my 30 page CCW Maine handbook and it doesn't say anything on this. I'll keep looking. Their web site stinks

Here is the link I found:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Last edited:
Ken- since I carry occationally in Maine I'm curious to find a good source for these restrictions. I just reviewed my 30 page CCW Maine handbook and it doesn't say anything on this. I'll keep looking. Their web site stinks

Here is the link I found:

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

At the very beginning it makes a blanket statement that a permit doesn't allow one of carry in any place where firearms are prohibited by law, but without specifying any such places. Near the very end, it mentions locations licensed to serve alcohol that have posted signs prohibiting carry. That's an improvement from several years back, when carry in all bars or licensed restaurants was prohibited.

Ken

Thanks to everyone for your input, seems like another reason to move to Maine, haha.

Maine is a shall issue state, and is also free by default. (eg, merely having
guns does NOT require a permit/license of any kind). The permit only
exists for the sake of CCW.

Additionally, I believe that most C3 type toys are also legal in ME, eg, MG's and
supressors, and possibly SBRS/SBS's.

-Mike

So, "shall issue" means that if you fill out the paperwork and pay the fees you get the LTC?

What exactly is C3, and what are SBRS/SBS's?

Shall issue means that anyone who is not by law disqualified from getting a CCW license is issued that license (ie no felonies, serious misdemeanors etc)

C3 = Class 3 firearms

SBRS/SBS = Short barrelled rifles, Short barrelled shotguns

Thanks to everyone for your input, seems like another reason to move to Maine, haha.

So, "shall issue" means that if you fill out the paperwork and pay the fees you get the LTC?

Yes, basically, assuming you've met whatever statutory requirements
are for the license. In a shall issue system, they must have a "real"
reason for denying a license, like a criminal conviction of some
sort. (As opposed to say in MA, where they can basically deny or
restrict your license if they don't like the way your breath smells. )

What exactly is C3, and what are SBRS/SBS's?\

C3 = Class 3, like federally registered short barreled rifles (rifles with barrels
under 16") supressors (silencers), and machineguns.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom