How and where to buy a Mosin Nagant?

I have decided I want a Mosin Nagant and a barrel of ammo for short money. It looks like I waited longer than I should have because availability and pricing have gone up fast and it doesn't look like it's stopping. I can take my bore light and I can line up the sights but that's like kicking tires. Can you guys offer any free advise? The where's and whys if you will. I'm probably a day late and a dollar short but what the heck. Thanks for letting me pick your brains and have a nice day.

Its been well over a year since I bought a Mosin....I went thru a phase of buying a handful....so I have not looked in awhile. Did you check the classifieds here? call around some local shops to see who has them. B and K Sales in Natick use to do some group buys. Brian may have a few.

B&K is a great place to start, Brian is one of the best guys around. IDC Firearms in Clinton used to always have a rack of them. That's where I bought my first two, but it's been a few years.

If you can make it up to NH, Collectable Arms in Merrimack always has a big rack of them, and I suspect that the big shops in Hooksett would have some as well. I'd expect to pay around $150-175 for a 91/30 in a shop these days. They days of $99 Mosins in shops are gone, and the $99 Mosins on-line are limited to very infrequent sales that do not last long. I'm not even sure I've seen one of those for a while.

Getting your C&R license is a great idea. It's $30 for three years, and you will make that back on the first rifle you buy online. And chances are, you will want more than one.

As far as condition, if you are looking at them in a shop, you'll pretty much go for the one with the nicest stock. Sure, check the bore, check for counterboring, and check for matching numbers. That all helps the value, but really doesn't make much difference in how they shoot. Mine run the spectrum from mirror to dull grey, matching and non-matching, and they all shoot the same groups.

Good luck and enjoy

Collectible arms in merrimack NH usually has good selection of M91/30's and M44 or 38s. Also the owner and his staff are friendly so I like to bring them my business when I can. Rileys in Hooksett usually has some Mosin's as well but I think collectible has better quality and selection of them.

Another option is to find one on gunbroker and go that route. Most MA FFL should be willing to do that transfer.

If you're concerned about the bore quality and general rifle condition, get one that's still in cosmoline.

Collectible arms or shooters outpost usually has the rifles. Riley's is the place for spam cans (115 bucks). Try to find a press 1943 91-30 if possible.......the ones made at the end of the war look like hammered shit

acme has a mostly full crate of mosins in londonderry if you find yourself up in NH.

he usually stocks non-corrosive tula x54R as well if you're lazy like i am and don't feel like cleaning the thing right after you shoot it.

Right!
Remove the bolt, affix bayonet, stick it in the ground, and piss down the barrel!

Now that's an efficient way to clean the mosin. I never even thought of that, thanks for the tip.....

Lots of love out there for such a beast. I remember a YouTube video that had twenty guys slinging lead out of Mosins. They had purchased a couple of crates of them with enough ammo to stuff their pockets. A fighting force of well armed men for two grand.
RDG that was a good series of articles which just led me to tons of other information on the moist nugget. I checked one out today at the lgs and it was probably as good as any but I'm gonna check out a few more before I pull the trigger. I think I will take a road trip with the Mrs this weekend. We can get lunch and a firearm and I will leave her with the impression that new weapons don't cost much moolah. I do think I'd like one right out of the box cosmoline and all. It's funny that everyone wants more than one. I've read some interesting and funny stuff today which just solidified my desire to own one. Thanks guys. This gun is like a last call babe. Everyone has had one but they don't talk about it much.

Lots of love out there for such a beast. I remember a YouTube video that had twenty guys slinging lead out of Mosins. They had purchased a couple of crates of them with enough ammo to stuff their pockets. A fighting force of well armed men for two grand.
RDG that was a good series of articles which just led me to tons of other information on the moist nugget. I checked one out today at the lgs and it was probably as good as any but I'm gonna check out a few more before I pull the trigger. I think I will take a road trip with the Mrs this weekend. We can get lunch and a firearm and I will leave her with the impression that new weapons don't cost much moolah. I do think I'd like one right out of the box cosmoline and all. It's funny that everyone wants more than one. I've read some interesting and funny stuff today which just solidified my desire to own one. Thanks guys. This gun is like a last call babe. Everyone has had one but they don't talk about it much.

Spent the extra hundy on a m44......oh ......and the first time you shoot it......do it at dusk

I see you are on the south shore. Why not check out Plimouth Bay Outfitter's on Main Street Plymouth? I bought one there a year or so ago.

I finally shot a Mosin for the first time I couple of weeks ago and it pretty much convinced me I don't need to buy one. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm used to a Garand when it comes to WW2 rifles.

Squib308;4344566[B said:
]Collectible arms in merrimack NH[/B] usually has good selection of M91/30's and M44 or 38s. Also the owner and his staff are friendly so I like to bring them my business when I can. Rileys in Hooksett usually has some Mosin's as well but I think collectible has better quality and selection of them.

Another option is to find one on gunbroker and go that route. Most MA FFL should be willing to do that transfer.

If you're concerned about the bore quality and general rifle condition, get one that's still in cosmoline.

+1000

B&K is a great place to start, Brian is one of the best guys around. IDC Firearms in Clinton used to always have a rack of them. That's where I bought my first two, but it's been a few years.

If you can make it up to NH, Collectable Arms in Merrimack always has a big rack of them, and I suspect that the big shops in Hooksett would have some as well. I'd expect to pay around $150-175 for a 91/30 in a shop these days. They days of $99 Mosins in shops are gone, and the $99 Mosins on-line are limited to very infrequent sales that do not last long. I'm not even sure I've seen one of those for a while.

Getting your C&R license is a great idea. It's $30 for three years, and you will make that back on the first rifle you buy online. And chances are, you will want more than one.

As far as condition, if you are looking at them in a shop, you'll pretty much go for the one with the nicest stock. Sure, check the bore, check for counterboring, and check for matching numbers. That all helps the value, but really doesn't make much difference in how they shoot. Mine run the spectrum from mirror to dull grey, matching and non-matching, and they all shoot the same groups.

Good luck and enjoy
Brian and his son are great.

Collectable in Merrimack seems to consistently have the best selection of Mosins in the area. And they're all cosmoline free! Mostly, anyway.

I finally shot a Mosin for the first time I couple of weeks ago and it pretty much convinced me I don't need to buy one. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm used to a Garand when it comes to WW2 rifles.

You missed the point of the mosin completely then. When you fire a mosin you are supposed to think about what it was like to be Ivan the peasant conscript in battle with that commy produced rifle! Then you appreciate the Garand more! And.......you only spent $139 on the mosin! We all know the garand is a fine piece of weaponry and better than the mosin when shooting moving and communicating... you are not teaching us anything with that comment my friend. In order to understand milsurp collecting you need to get away from the m1 and collect shoot and understand more of what the other nations developed......why they developed them......and how they were used. For example the metal but plate on the mosin is sharp edged and comes up over the top of the but for a reason....it was not just to make it cheaper.......they soviet soldiers were trained to swing that edge at the head in hand to hand like a club! That edge will **** up the enemies day for sure!

Last edited:
I love my Mosin's 91/30 and M44. Of course I like the K98 a bit better though. As described previously, I too enjoy getting to know the feeling of what these historical arms were like.
The M1 Garand is on my shopping list though...

I definitely appreciate the Garand more owning the Mosin. That rifle was such an advantage over the bolt action rifles it mostly faced off against. But I love the Mosin in its own way.

Back
Top Bottom