• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How America Created a Gun-Happy Gangster’s Paradise in Brazil

Reptile

NES Member
RIO DE JANEIRO—Thousands of made-in-America weapons are pouring into Brazil and landing straight into the hands of gangsters every day, and the U.S. is failing miserably at stemming the flood.

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC), Brazil is home to roughly 8 million illegal weapons, more than half of which were smuggled from the U.S. The latest U.N.-sponsored report suggests that a little under 20,000 American weapons enter Brazil each year.

In Rio de Janeiro, local authorities believe that around 4,000 new illegal weapons arrive in the city each day. About a quarter of those are assault rifles, according to Christiano, a high-ranking Military Police commander in Rio de Janeiro who oversees operations to capture illegal guns off the streets.

“Once these weapons cross our national borders, we almost have no way to capture these guns before they end up in the wrong people’s hands,” Christiano told The Daily Beast.

Brazilian authorities working to contain the arrival of these weapons at the two main harbors serving Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo are gravely under-resourced. And meanwhile, instead of helping curb the country’s influx of dangerous weapons, the U.S. has focused most of its efforts on pressuring Brazil to fight its illegal drug trade, forcing Brazilian authorities to relocate their meager resources to the war on drugs and leaving an open alley for gun-runners to infiltrate Brazil’s main commercial ports. “The U.S. government is worried about its domestic drug addiction issues, so it has put pressure on my country’s government to focus mostly on the drug trade instead of illegal weapons business,” an officer from the Secretaria Estadual de Policia Civil, Brazil’s civil police, explained.

Continues...

The US puts "pressure" on Brazil and they don't like it. OK, you're a sovereign nation, grow a set and do whatever you want, we're not forcing you to take our money and manpower to fight the drug trade. Tell the US to go home and you will deal with it yourself, problem solved.

The problem isn't the US somehow forcing them to not fight the gun trade, it's the US doesn't want to give the corrupt police and politicians in Brazil more money under the claim that it's to stop the guns. Money they will just divert to their own pockets.

It's a shame how Rio is more of less one giant ghetto now. Even during their recent Olympics where they had increased police presence, it was still like a free for all for street muggings and pick pockets. I wanted to visit there like 20 years ago, but now that I have the means, there's no chance in hell. I'd sooner go to India, which is already bottom barrel on my list.

US Attorney General Holder armed Mexican drug lords with firearms directly from the US Government, also used to kill US Border agents. Nothing to see here

2010-01-21-gail1.jpg

It's a shame how Rio is more of less one giant ghetto now. Even during their recent Olympics where they had increased police presence, it was still like a free for all for street muggings and pick pockets. I wanted to visit there like 20 years ago, but now that I have the means, there's no chance in hell. I'd sooner go to India, which is already bottom barrel on my list.
Ruo is a sh*thole. I was there for the Olympics and thought it was horrible, and then the streets were clean and there was security.

Copacabana is highly overrated and is ful of fangs of kids that will kill you and won't go to jail because they are minors.

It is so bad, the subway has a cart just for women so they won't get harassed.

RIO DE JANEIRO—Thousands of made-in-America weapons are pouring into Brazil and landing straight into the hands of gangsters every day, and the U.S. is failing miserably at stemming the flood.

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC), Brazil is home to roughly 8 million illegal weapons, more than half of which were smuggled from the U.S. The latest U.N.-sponsored report suggests that a little under 20,000 American weapons enter Brazil each year.

In Rio de Janeiro, local authorities believe that around 4,000 new illegal weapons arrive in the city each day. About a quarter of those are assault rifles, according to Christiano, a high-ranking Military Police commander in Rio de Janeiro who oversees operations to capture illegal guns off the streets.

“Once these weapons cross our national borders, we almost have no way to capture these guns before they end up in the wrong people’s hands,” Christiano told The Daily Beast.

Brazilian authorities working to contain the arrival of these weapons at the two main harbors serving Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo are gravely under-resourced. And meanwhile, instead of helping curb the country’s influx of dangerous weapons, the U.S. has focused most of its efforts on pressuring Brazil to fight its illegal drug trade, forcing Brazilian authorities to relocate their meager resources to the war on drugs and leaving an open alley for gun-runners to infiltrate Brazil’s main commercial ports. “The U.S. government is worried about its domestic drug addiction issues, so it has put pressure on my country’s government to focus mostly on the drug trade instead of illegal weapons business,” an officer from the Secretaria Estadual de Policia Civil, Brazil’s civil police, explained.

Continues...

Article says 20,000 US guns enter Brazil per year. That’s 55 guns a day.

But it also says 4000 illegal guns enter Brazil each day.

So the US is the source for 1.3% of the illegal guns. Yeah, definitely our fault.

Back
Top Bottom