• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How America’s Oldest Gun Maker Went Bankrupt: A Financial Engineeri

mikeyp

NES Member
How America’s Oldest Gun Maker Went Bankrupt: A Financial Engineering Mystery

How America’s Oldest
Gun Maker Went
Bankrupt: A Financial
Engineering Mystery

When a secretive private equity firm
bought Remington, sales were strong
and the future bright. A decade later,
the company couldn’t escape its debts.

The news spread around Huntsville, Ala., in the winter of 2014. Remington, the country’s oldest gun maker, had decided to expand from its historic home in upstate New York to a gigantic former Chrysler factory near the airport. Workers at the new plant, the company said, would earn a minimum average of $19.50 an hour assembling shotguns, pistols, hunting rifles and AR-15-style semiautomatics. The city’s mayor wrote in a newspaper column that he was thrilled that Remington’s quest for a new factory space had ended in Huntsville. He calculated the typical annual salary as $42,500.

Huntsville is a boomtown in the Southern mold. The unemployment rate is lower than the country’s, and educated workers are in high demand. Southwest of downtown, in a facility that synthesized chemical weapons during World War II, the Army maintains a major research center and garrison. Orbiting the Army base are military and aerospace contractors: Raytheon, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. Car companies from Japan, an electronics manufacturer from Korea and many other concerns churn out goods for the domestic market. “Cutting taxes and simplifying regulations makes America the place to invest!” President Trump tweeted in January 2018; he was talking about Huntsville.

Fascinating stuff - but really difficult to get through.

TLDR: Cerberus Capital Management used other people's money to pay themselves about twice what they paid for Remington, and left Remington on the hook for all the loans.

I'm in the wrong business.

Damn. Is there a Cliff Notes version??? I made it to the 6-7 LONG paragraphs on Mike Milikin and thought, "This looks long." Then I saw how small my scroll-bar was and collapsed.

I'd say lower quality without an investment in commitment to the company killed it. Places like Cerebrus and others have their place. But that doesn't mean they don't get cocky and shoot from the hip from time to time.

Fascinating stuff - but really difficult to get through.

TLDR: Cerberus Capital Management used other people's money to pay themselves about twice what they paid for Remington, and left Remington on the hook for all the loans.

I'm in the wrong business.

Yeah I had to go back a few times. I also have the attention span of a gnat, but still

Freedom Holding Group = Cerberus = Steward Healthcare, all who cut and slash staff, sell or shutdown facilities after they are decimated, and especially don't care about their employees.
George Soros is a good friend of Freedom Holding Group and that should say it all!
Freedom's mission from the beginning was to destroy the gun industry, one way or another.
The former owner of Bushmaster, now Windham Weaponry, should be commended for realizing his mistake, reopening, and saving all of the jobs that he did.

CLIFF NOTES:

1. Cerberus Capital Management (CCM) funded a holding company. CCM therefore owned the stock of the HC.

2. The holding company bought Remington for $118 million.

3. CCM installed its managers in Remington.

4. Holding company then borrowed $225 million from private lenders. (Key point: this debt didn’t require payments. Since the interest accrued, CCM didn’t have to kick in any more cash.)

5. Holding company used the $225 million to buy back its stock from CCM. (This was CCM’s big payday – CCM paid itself back about $100 million more than it used to buy Remington, using other people’s money.)

6. 2012: Remington’s management had the company borrow “hundreds of millions of dollars” from banks.

7. That money was used to buy the debt that the holding company had taken on. Remington is now on the hook for repayment of all the money that CCM borrowed for its big payday.

8. Key point: Remington’s “hundreds of millions of dollars” of debt required payments.

9. 2015: Hillary is thought to be the next president and gun sales are through the roof.

10. 2016: Mr. Trump is elected, and gun sales plummet.

11. Remington’s profits plunge to zero.

12. Good night, Remington.

And this doesn’t even begin to get into how the new management managed to find ways around every sweet community-development deal they put together.

Sounds like a raw deal for Remington but I keep coming back to the question of what has Remington made in the past 50+ years that I've wanted to buy. I have an 870, but if I was in the market for a shotgun today I'm not sure I'd buy one. I guess you can certainly do worse than a 700, but when I was looking for a bolt gun a few years back I ended up with a Tikka after doing quite a bit of comparing. The name "Remington" doesn't make me instinctively reach for my wallet, and I have a hard time blaming CCM for that.

CLIFF NOTES:

1. Cerberus Capital Management (CCM) funded a holding company. CCM therefore owned the stock of the HC.

2. The holding company bought Remington for $118 million.

3. CCM installed its managers in Remington.

4. Holding company then borrowed $225 million from private lenders. (Key point: this debt didn’t require payments. Since the interest accrued, CCM didn’t have to kick in any more cash.)

5. Holding company used the $225 million to buy back its stock from CCM. (This was CCM’s big payday – CCM paid itself back about $100 million more than it used to buy Remington, using other people’s money.)

6. 2012: Remington’s management had the company borrow “hundreds of millions of dollars” from banks.

7. That money was used to buy the debt that the holding company had taken on. Remington is now on the hook for repayment of all the money that CCM borrowed for its big payday.

8. Key point: Remington’s “hundreds of millions of dollars” of debt required payments.

9. 2015: Hillary is thought to be the next president and gun sales are through the roof.

10. 2016: Mr. Trump is elected, and gun sales plummet.

11. Remington’s profits plunge to zero.

12. Good night, Remington.

And this doesn’t even begin to get into how the new management managed to find ways around every sweet community-development deal they put together.
BLUF: CCM ran a Ponzi scheme on Remington and the banks who loaned Remington the money.

If they stopped making junk maybe more people would buy....

There - saved everyone a bunch of reading.

This is the reality. If Cerebrus was going to pork them, just declare bankruptcy and reorg. I'm not sure if quality went down as a result of the buyout or if mgmt just wasn't at the wheel all along. All of my Remmy stuff works fine.

Back
Top Bottom