How about this?

I have been thinking about reloading for a little while now. The cost of ammo is going up, and up, and up. I recently got my 1911 and was surprised at how easy it was to put 200 rounds down range. So I was looking into setting up to do 45ACP and .40 S&W. I would be happy to at least start with one for now, and then the other. I would only like to reload practice/range ammo and only for pistol. My problem with reloading is that it seemed VERY time consuming and not worth it for me to make the investment and use up that amount of my time. So doing some investigation I found that a progressive press would best suit my needs. So, I found one at Midway that has everything ready to go for 45ACP take a look http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=351321 What do you think about a setup like this to get me started. Of course I will probably get into it more once I start doing it, but I like the price and efficiency of this one for what I will be using it for..

All input is appreciated.

Adam

Nickle,
Thanks for the info. I will have to check those out when I get home tonight. Our firewalls here block some sites and Dillon happens to be one.

Adam

Just so you know, I've bought my dies on eBay, and bought RCBS Carbide dies. If you pay attention to what they're worth, and have patience, you can get die sets under $20.

Other than the actual reloading components, if I were to buy a setup like the one I listed that does everything in one step, what else would I have to buy to get a reloading operation going?

Adam

Without looking at what you're referring to, I'll list everything needed, so anyone that looks will know. Some of these items are part of a progressive press, you just need to make sure they're there.

Essential Items, Pistol:

Press
Die Set, and shell holder
Lube pad, unless carbide pistol dies
Powder Measure
Powder Scale
Primer Seater
Calipers
Loading Manuals

Rifle, add:

Case trimmer
Lube pad is essential for rifle calibers
Case Trimmer
Chamfering Reamer

Nice to have stuff:

Loading blocks to hold brass
Case Gages for each caliber
Power Case Trimmer
Primer Pocket Swage if using Military Brass (can use chamfering reamer)
ETA - Tumbler and media

Adam_MA said:
Do you have to clean the brass before you reload it in a tumbler?

Adam

Nice to have item. Added, thanks for catching it. I tumble, some don't. They've only been around the last 20 years or so, and I remember not having them back then.

One suggestion Adam - look for used stuff. You can find dies, scales, etc. at most places that sell new stuff (except on line), and in picking up used equipment, you'll save even more. That's what hubby and I did and we got a bunch of stuff that works great for a lot less.

Nickle said:
Lynne, I don't recommend used scales. Everything else is OK, but not scales. I've seen used ones that were off enough to matter.

We must have lucked out then because we checked it (only paid $5) with a brand new one that a friend bought (and paid $35 for) and it was exactly the same. I love finds like that. :D

Sometimes they're OK. You did the right thing and checked them. I have gotten used ones that I've checked and were OK. I won't recommend that to new reloaders.

Yes, everything else is OK to buy used. I recommend used equipment to save money and get you into better equipment from the start. Try eBay, stay away from GunBroker (too many professionals there, not many deals).

My current set up has used presses, used dies, used powder measures and I think possibly one of my trimmers is used. And I'm certain that's not all.

I've yet to see a set of dies wear out, and I've seen some rifle dies used for several hundred thousand rounds of ammo (DAMHIK). They just don't wear out.

I believe in buying good quality equipment the first time, you'll only have to buy it ONCE. There are very few exceptions to that rule. And, if you buy RCBS or Redding equipment, you won't go wrong, with the sole exception of progressive presses.

I will only recommend Dillon for a progressive press.

I avoid Lee equipment, as much as reasonably possible, again, with the exception of some of their hand priming tools, which are the best out there. Their decapping die is great, as well, especially for doing military brass. Their presses do NOT impress me one bit. Their dies can be so poor, that the 7.62 Nagant Revolver set I bought, I threw out the expander and seater, and use other brands. Of course, that set was under $20, and an RCBS set would've been over $100.

If you want specific recommendations, feel free to PM me (or Lynne, she also seems to know her way around reloading equipment).

You flatter me, sir. [oops] I'm not as well versed as you are. I know a few things, but not a lot.

I agree with the Lee hand primer - I tried another one that I hated and went back to the Lee (I let hubby use the other [wink] )

One of these days we're gonna get a nice rig with does everything but the dishes (although if they come out with one of them, I'll save up my pennies for it).

Lynne said:
You flatter me, sir. [oops] I'm not as well versed as you are. I know a few things, but not a lot.

I agree with the Lee hand primer - I tried another one that I hated and went back to the Lee (I let hubby use the other [wink] )

One of these days we're gonna get a nice rig with does everything but the dishes (although if they come out with one of them, I'll save up my pennies for it).

Lynne, when you made as much ammo as I have, you'll be far smarter than I am. I'm not smart, I've just got a LOT of experience making ammo.

When you find that nice rig, let me know what it is, I haven't found yet that I like 100%. The Dillon comes close, my father has one, and he hates the primer seater. I don't think I'll like it, either, and I will get a Dillon eventually.

I still use my RockChucker for everything, pistol and rifle, and case forming.

Oh, I'm currently using an RCBS primer seater, 09460 Automatic Priming Tool, which is a bit of overkill for most people.

I recommend the Lee Auto Prime for most folks, and have several of them.

I've also had good luck with Lee's shellholders.

Made the first batch!

When I got home from Four Seasons on Saturday, I found the brass that I won on ebay waiting for me.. So I headed down to the basement and started working on making some ammo.. After a few adjustments the press was working as expected. While at Four Seasons on a whim, I decided to pick up a bullet puller.. BOY am I glad I did. The one thing I forgot to check was the adjustment on the bullet seating die.. Almost embarrassed to say so, but I seated the bullet nose flush with the case :D . So I turned it WAY out, and adjusted it in little by little until I got to the proper length.

The press is progressive, but as I was saying before I did the first batch of 50 one at a time checking each step before I went on to the next. The last 10 rounds, I set the press up to run progressively, but stopped and removed the case to inspect after every step.

Like I said, I kept my first batch to 50 rounds, so I could see how they came out... Well, I made it to the range yesterday, and all 50 rounds worked as expected. I had Jim Conway shoot a mag full to see what he thought of them. He suggested I increase the charge just slightly, because a couple of the rounds keyholed through the paper. I think I will increase the charge by .2 grn and test again..

One important thing I learned... "Seat the primer BEFORE dumping the powder charge"

Well... I think I might make another 50 rounds tonight, and take them up to the range to see how they go..

I think I am addicted to reloading now! :D

Adam

Adam_MA said:
One important thing I learned... "Seat the primer BEFORE dumping the powder charge"

Oh yea. I forgot to talk about that.

One great reloading tool, an old small inch and a half or two inch paintbrush.

Use that to clean the powder off the conversion plate when you don't seat the primer before the powder.

Not that I would know anything about it. :D

Good tip..
Also, a 4 year old who's new favorite word is "Why" should be kept as far away from you while reloading as possible. :D

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Good tip..
Also, a 4 year old who's new favorite word is "Why" should be kept as far away from you while reloading as possible. :D

Adam

HAHA! :D :D

Yea, I have a two year old that like to ask, "What you doin'?" when you're doing anything. Then try to climb in your lap to see and touch. That's why I have to clean my guns during nap time.

hehehe I know that all too well...

Her: "What ya doin daddy? Cleaning your guns"?
Me: "Yes sweetie"
Her: "Why"?
Me: "Because I went shooting today"
Her: "You went shooting today"?
Me: "Yes sweetie:
Her: Why
Me: "Because I like shooting"
Her: "why"?
Me: "Because it's fun"
Her: "It's fun"?
Me: "Yes"
Her: "Why"
Me: "Because it is"
Her: "Oh"
Her:<blank stare>
Me: <smile back>
Me: <smile back>
--pause--
Me: "Why don't you go see if you can help mommy"
Me: "Sweetie please, I think mommy needs you to help her"
Her: "Ok daddy.. I'll be right back"
Me: <smacking forehead>

God I love kids! :D :D :D

Adam

Or my approach:

"Whatcha doing daddy?"

"Cleaning my guns, want to help?"

"OK"

Then give them a small, but important job that they CAN handle.

Reloading? Give them something they can handle, or something you can disregard or do over after.

Hey Adam...give her some empty casings and ask her to wipe them off for you. Tell her it's important and that her help would help you a lot. A 2 year old would be able to handle that. :D

Or what I should've mentioned. Let them sort cases for you. Especially good when you've got a lot of them in a given caliber. Makes them feel really helpful, gets them interested as well.

Back
Top Bottom