How about this?

Good ideas!
I did have her stand there with a hand full of Q-Tips one day and hand them to me when I needed them while cleaning 1 of my pistols... She seemed to like doing that.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Good ideas!
I did have her stand there with a hand full of Q-Tips one day and hand them to me when I needed them while cleaning 1 of my pistols... She seemed to like doing that.

Adam

Excellent idea. Are you telling her things that she should never do when holding a gun, or what she should do if she ever finds one? That's the time to do it. You can never start too young.

Cross-X said:
Any concerns about kids handling dirty cases?

Didn't think of that. Make sure you tell her NOT to put her hands in her mouth while she's helping, and as soon as you're finished - take her to wash her hands. Thanks Darius. [wink]

I agree with Lynne. The risks from lead poisoning are higher from spent priming compound than from lead bullets (except when casting, and then ventilation is common sense).

Hand washing is a must, but that's a good lesson in itself.

Yea, mine I think takes after me. She's like a little engineer. She will work on something until she gets it. So if I just hand her something to hold or the like. She's still going to get up in my lap and want to touch everything, and play with the extra parts.

I figure that I'm going to wait about a year or so until she's about 3, 3-1/2 before I start with the helping with the guns. I just know that she can't leave them alone...

C-pher said:
I figure that I'm going to wait about a year or so until she's about 3, 3-1/2 before I start with the helping with the guns. I just know that she can't leave them alone...

Future Annie Oakley?? [lol]

I have a Henry Mini-Bolt .22 that might be a great starter gun for her -- it is a little 3.5 pound rifle, sized for a child or agile adult. Fiber optic sights front and rear, and a "cricket" style manually cocked action.

Sweet!

Cross-X said:
I have a Henry Mini-Bolt .22 that might be a great starter gun for her -- it is a little 3.5 pound rifle, sized for a child or agile adult. Fiber optic sights front and rear, and a "cricket" style manually cocked action.

Sweet!

Do you have kids, Darius?

Lynne said:
C-pher said:

Future Annie Oakley?? [lol]

I hope so, I plan on getting her out and shooting CAS wiht me when she can get into the junior class. Hell, I already have a Marlin 39-A that she can use, I would just need to get her some Ruger Three Screw Single Six's. I don't know what she would use for a shotgun, but I can work on that one when we get there. hehehe

Cross-X said:
No, but I am ready to outfit the neighborhood!

If you will excuse me, I have to head over to the playground.

I'm looking for recruits!

:D

That's funny.

I have several .22s that she can use when she gets of age. Hell, I still have the .22 that my grandfather gave me when I was six. She can use that one. But I still might get her a junior size one as well.

C-pher said:
[...]I don't know what she would use for a shotgun, but I can work on that one when we get there. hehehe

.410s make for nice "starter" shotguns. I have fond memories of shooting with my father and grandfather when I was vastly younger than I am now (when a 12 gauge was enough to knock me on my keister) and I used a .410, to some effect, back then for trap.

Back
Top Bottom