How a squad is supposed to work

Let me start this by saying I'm not picking on any one person here. I know and understand we had alot of new shooters today trying this IPSC game out. So dont feel as if I'm saying this to anybody in particular. This is just a heads up and a little bit of help.

There is always an order and this is how it goes. The R.O. will call it out. You have to listen to this.

The Shooter

The "on deck shooter"

The next guy is "In the hole"

These three guys should at this point be ready or getting ready to shoot the stage

The rest of the squad should be helping out with:

taping targets

picking brass

resetting steel plates and poppers

The Squad should be together from start to finish. When the last shooter on the last stage fires his or her last round, the squad should have the same amount of shooters it had when the first shooter shot his first round.

Like I said earlier, alot of new shooters so this can be used as a guide of how the squad works. I had fun today and I'm glad I met SuperMoto and SwatMedic. I look forward to seeing you again and others at the Feb. match.

If you have any questions fell free to ask them here on this thread.

How long did the match last? (Start to finish)

How many stages?

Number of shooters? (Answered by results thanks)

From the results, I see new names and a lot of the usual suspects. Looks like you had a good turnout.

Congrats to the workers and organizers and the AFS for such a good turn out.

Regards,

Well, I was there early with my dDaughter to help set up the match so for me 7:30. The Match started right around 9:00. I also stayed late to help tear down and put all the props away. I think shooting was done by 1:00-1:30 but I'm not too sure of that.

We shot 4 well designed, challenging stages yesterday.

I was the first shooter of the last stage of the last squad and I left around 1:30. My squad was still shooting, so the only tear-down at that time would have been Stage 3. I bailed to make a family birthday at 2:00 p.m.

Can't speak for the other two squads, but mine was often woefully short of people taping and brassing. I suspect other squads may have had this problem at other times during the day.

The biggest problem is, of course, space. Two ranges; three squads. That meant Squad 3 had much of its morning wasted waiting around for its turn. There is no obvious solution to this problem, as 18-man squads are unwieldy anywhere, still less in the limited space we have to work with there.

Still, for an initial event, everything went very well. Thank Tom D. for the stege designs.

I think Hamar and Scrivener had some inexperienced shooters in their squad and taping and scoring will be quicker for those people next time, thanks to this thread. My squad was comprised of guys I've shot with numerous times and when we were up, we work quickly and efficiently and had fun too. Next time we should be sure to spread out the new people a little more.

I believe the match went well. The stages were well designed for the range and challenging (thanks Tom). The one lesson was learned on the classifier, which required four separate start times. Given the dynamics of running the three squads, a short, quicker stage would be better next time. It was a tough one too(Lazy Man Satndards). It is no surprise the winner of the stage was the winner of the match. There were a lot of match points tied up in that difficult shooting. I'll be practicing that one for sure.

Thank you to AFS. You've done a great job turning the place around.

I had a great time and it was nice to meet everyone,
Its is a little overwhelming for us first time shooter, alot going on

I don't know if I should have been working the score sheet

target reader: "charlie"
Me: "Mike"
Target reader: "no its charlie not mike"
Me: "I think I know my own name"
Target reader: [roll]

j/k
:D

Mike, I thought you did a great job with the scoring. I can see how it was a bit intimidating but you were fine. My post was intended to remind folks that the squad works the best and the match gets expidited better if the whole squad works as a team. I'm not trying to take anything away from the match at all, I thought it was fun and challenging at the same time.

Those damn poppers from under the barricade and between the no shoots.....yikes!

Thanks.
I had a great time.
It was alot of firsts for me
First match
First time shooting / reloading while moving.
first time shooting around barricades
first time shooting while kneeling

I liked shooting the popper between the no shoots,

One thing that I found interesting was on the last stage for us, stage 4,
Shooting around the barricade. I rested my hands against the side of the barricade. I found this canted my wrist making it hard to find my front sight initial and after recoil. I noticed others did not.

And shooting left hand only, that was like trying to throw a basebal left handed, I was surprised I hit anything

Great fun. I'm definately hooked

Mike, Most guys try not to rely on props for support. Most wiggle and wobble and will do more harm than good. Plus it takes time to lean on the prop and get off the prop.

I thought you did very well for your first match. If you want to get together at the Hanson Range, feel free to contact me through this board and I'll meet you there and help you out with some pointers. I do shoot better than my match results show this week...LOL

Hamar said:
Mike, Most guys try not to rely on props for support. Most wiggle and wobble and will do more harm than good. Plus it takes time to lean on the prop and get off the prop.

...and when your slide or front sight hits the prop, it's not a good thing. Similarly, you want to keep your gun out of ports. I've made those mistakes.

Yep..it takes time to stick the gun in a port or barrel and it takes time to take it out. I used to be worried about every fraction of a second. But that was another life another time. Now I just worry if I brought all my gear with me on match morning....LOL

Thanks for the info. Looks like I got a slot for the next one so see you all there.

You need at least one token revo shooter ;) Maybe Mooney will be all healed by then so I don't have to go it alone.

Regards,

AFS

We used the "3 squads, 2 ranges" system to reduce time on the range spent not shooting. The "hang around" facilities at AFS are considerably nicer than what you usually get during downtime at a local match - the "off" squad could use the live fire simulator; watch the Burkett videos; play pool; or go out front and browse in the gun shop. The Scrivener squad was a bit light on experienced help since we had 5 new shooters, who I invited to join the 3rd squad so I could spend a bit of time during their initial "downtime" explaining the rules of the game.

"The Scrivener squad was a bit light on experienced help since we had 5 new shooters, who I invited to join the 3rd squad so I could spend a bit of time during their initial "downtime" explaining the rules of the game."

This is an investment in the sport. I believe we had some attrition - there was talk of a DQ for dropping a loaded gun - but walking new shooters through a match is how you get them to come back.

The diversions at AFS may also explain the lack of assistance with taping and brassing, with the consequent drag on time.......

Hey Supermoto, I looked over the results again and you did really, really well. Out of of the iron sight shooters, you were 4th. The guys that were ahead of you were all shooting hi-caps, two were masters that never get beaten, and the other was Tim, who is quickly moving to higher classes.

Very nice!

Thanks
I had a great time, I can stop taking about it. I think the wife has had enough of me telling her the stories over and over.

I wish I had started earlier, If anyone is hesitant to join, just do it. There was no pressure, no one looked down at you or made comments if you were slow or not a good shot. As long as you are safe then everyone is more than happy to have you there

Back
Top Bottom