• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

House Democrats Plan Vote to Criminalize Private Gun Sales This Week

Yes more posturing with proposals that are DOA in the Senate.

Really trying to distract from the fact the government will shut down again this Friday. What have they proposed for that?

Really trying to distract from the fact the government will shut down again this Friday. What have they proposed for that?

5 Senate Rs have voice their support of this. Don't get too overconfident.

5 Senate Rs have voice their support of this. Don't get too overconfident.

A similar bill voted on in 2013 didn't pass when the Dems controlled the Senate. Also, McConnel isn't expected to bring this bill to a vote in the Senate, and a Senate version of the bill doesn't have any Republican cosponsors.

The Senate version of the background check expansion bill has no Republican cosponsors and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R–Ky., is not expected to call it up for a vote. A similar measure didn’t survive a bipartisan filibuster when Democrats ran the Senate in 2013.

What's in the gun control bills that House Democrats will bring to a vote this week

let them do it. But all gun stores should have to provide transfers for free. or have the state pick up the bill.

I should call my Assachusetts representative so that they know to vote NO.

[rofl]

And people wonder why I contribute to political campaigns almost exclusively OUT of state. LOL

let them do it. But all gun stores should have to provide transfers for free. or have the state pick up the bill.
This would complicate "non roster" guns. Not that there isn't a workaround, but still. Anyway, it won't pass.

Last edited:
I do believe Trump has stated he will veto HB8/UBC bill

Edit: Assuming the Senate even takes up the billl

D's and Pelosi know this has no chance of passing the Senate.

The only reason they're doing this is to make it look like they're doing something,
and when it fails in the Senate or not taken up for a vote, they'll try their best
to use it against R's in 2020.

Won’t pass the Senate they already did the NICS bill last year.

Dems seek to turn average law abiding citizens into criminals while absolving and providing amnesty to actual criminals. Tells you everything you need to know.

Trusting that Trump will be our savior from gun control legislation is a fool’s errand.

This crap will eventually get through. If not at the Federal level, here in MA for sure. More “emergency” legislation with no public discussion

I'll see If I can find it again in the AM. Saw many different reports that he won't bring it to a vote

It's probably not a direct quote from McConnell regarding this particular bill.
Most likely those reports are based on his position that he's not going to waste the Senates time on bills that
have no chance of passing.

FWIW there were 2 Ds that had the balls to defy Pelosi and vote against this vomit: Colin Peterson (MN 7th) and Jared Golden (ME 2nd). If anyone from Maine is monitoring this thread I urge you to send Rep. Golden an “Attaboy”.

Already did that. I'm still very weary of him though. He co-sponsored the bill for constitutional carry in Maine and then voted against it.

Not that anyone should be surprised...

Gun control: House passes bill extending time for background checks

"WASHINGTON – For the second day in a row, the Democrat-led House passed legislation Thursday toughening the background check system for gun purchases.
The bill, approved on a largely party-line vote of 228 to 198, would increase from three days to at least 10 the number of days a seller has to wait for a response from the system before transferring a firearm.

But like the bill the House passed Wednesday to extend background checks to private transactions at gun shows and over the internet, Thursday's bill is unlikely to be voted on by the Republican-controlled Senate. President Donald Trump has threatened to veto both bills if they reach his desk.

Nonetheless, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said before the vote that people want lawmakers to take action to try to reduce mass shootings.

"I think the public is tired of moments of silence in times of mass murders and high-profile tragedies," she said.

The vote came after emotional and personal stories from two lawmakers."

Back
Top Bottom