House Approves Rule For Concealed Weapons Bill

Libertarian chiming in since soloman02 requested it - I don't support any federal legislation concerning a national reciprocity bill. Having the feds force gun laws onto the states is just as bad as states that don't view the 2nd amendment as being assigned to the individual. I also believe that any federal action on this issue will only serve to further the expansion of the ATF and government intervention into our lives. Having said that (and my own acknowledgement that I'm an idealist), I understand the argument that some 'progress' is better than none - but I still worry about how this would be interpreted across the board.

The US government rarely does anything to grant more rights to its citizens, that is the opposite of the function of government in the modern age.

Brad, you totally wrong about this?????

"other than the State of residence of the person"

Looks like not.

I guess I should have been more specific. I did see that section, but I also so this section:

"In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State."

it's seem fairly contradictory.

No, just that non-residents will be treated as if they have an unrestricted LTC..

"May Issue" is a travesty, there is no justice in a world where law can be decided this way.

I guess I should have been more specific. I did see that section, but I also so this section:

"In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State."

it's seem fairly contradictory.
Nope. It doesn't apply within your own state of residence. One can't pick out a paragraph without looking back to the section that talks about the applicability of the (proposed) law. Not only does it clearly not apply within your home state, but since the law is based on the Commerce Clause, it would be even more of a stretch of Congressional power to apply it to a person within their own state. That would surely be an usurpation of the state's police power.

Back
Top Bottom