Hot Pepper Lovers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here grow your hot peppers from seed? I thought there was a thread here but I googled and couldn't find one. I bought my seeds from White Hot Pepper last year gets great reviews but did not have any luck with them. This year I bought from Bohica Pepper Hut gets really good reviews and not pricey like Pepper Joes. If anyone has some other favorite places I can add to my list for the future i would appreciate it.

mikeyp

NES Member
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I love hot peppers(hot sauce etc.). I keep a small pack of trinidad scorpions in my Jeep and use ghost peppers in my chili lol. I haven't tried growing them, I bought an Aerogarden to try but never got around to it

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had good luck buying little pepper plants in those little square trays and planting them in my garden. Cayenne, jalapeno, habanero, Thai chili, etc. I tried growing ghost peppers a few years ago - too spicy to do much with.

LuvDog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I love hot peppers(hot sauce etc.). I keep a small pack of trinidad scorpions in my Jeep and use ghost peppers in my chili lol. I haven't tried growing them, I bought an Aerogarden to try but never got around to it
We grew a bunch of peppers in our aero garden last year. Started them from seed inside... then transplanted them outside when they got too big for the aero garden

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I want to Grow Tabasco peppers this spring. I got some seeds.
I also ferment habaneros to make a hot sauce. Hot but not crazy hot but it has a nice depth to the flavor.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Anyone here grow your hot peppers from seed? I thought there was a thread here but I googled and couldn't find one. I bought my seeds from White Hot Pepper last year gets great reviews but did not have any luck with them. This year I bought from Bohica Pepper Hut gets really good reviews and not pricey like Pepper Joes. If anyone has some other favorite places I can add to my list for the future i would appreciate it.
Paging Sky Soldier, this thread is calling for your expertise.

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My parents grow their peppers (and other veggies) from seed. When they come across one they like they save the seeds. Over the past thirty years or so, they have some great hot pepper crop. Good for you for doing this. It takes effort. I know he starts in february or march, inside in the basement. Transfers them to different pots as they sprout, move them to a room with ton of natural light, switches pots again as they get bigger, then out into the yard. My strategy is much simpler. Stay in dad's good graces, visit him often, especially around August and September, and mooch his fresh veggies. Pete

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i must be a whimp. Had some vietnamese Pho soup the other day at a restaurant. Put in some sriracha sauce, and it was not enough. So i added some hot oil they had--the stuff with the small bits of red in the bottom of the jar. I added a little too much, and was sweating for the next half hour as i tried to finish the entire bowl!

[smile]

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We grew a bunch of peppers in our aero garden last year. Started them from seed inside... then transplanted them outside when they got too big for the aero garden
This. Peppers like the warm weather so they struggle in the spring and fall. Start them inside and then transplant them. Plant multiples in case any die. They also tend to rot from the inside out so don't wait too long to pick them. They're not the easiest to grow so it might take a couple of seasons to figure out the timing.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Peppers like the warm weather so they struggle in the spring and fall. Start them inside and then transplant them. Plant multiples in case any die. They also tend to rot from the inside out so don't wait too long to pick them. They're not the easiest to grow so it might take a couple of seasons to figure out the timing.
Since they do like the heat, we've had luck growing them in the flower bed next to the driveway.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i must be a whimp. Had some vietnamese Pho soup the other day at a restaurant. Put in some sriracha sauce, and it was not enough. So i added some hot oil they had--the stuff with the small bits of red in the bottom of the jar. I added a little too much, and was sweating for the next half hour as i tried to finish the entire bowl!

[smile]

Not a whimp! Just sweating out all the toxins and all the leftieness that you've been exposed to on this site. Go have another bowl :)

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

[smile]
Not a wimp. Even for me, that asian chili-oil is death!! I bought this pho chili paste from MB for like $3. I put a pea sized amount in some homemade ramen.....my ass was on FIRE. The heat/flavor ratio was insane! 3 months later I'm only halfway through that jar.
I also put that stuff on pizza 😋

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a Carolina Reaper bush that I started from seed and it is now over 3 years old. I started it and over-winter it with some big ass MH lights given to me by @Skysoldier .

Besides adequate light and water, you need warm soil temps to get good germination from hot pepper seeds. There are some cheap warming pads for seed germination, reptile cages, etc. on Amazon. Get the size you want and be sure that the pad is UL listed.

Growing season for these types of peppers is long. If you want peppers in 2020, I'd start the seeds now or February at the latest. Move outside once temps stay in the 50's or warmer.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Carolina Reaper bush that I started from seed and it is now over 3 years old. I started it and over-winter it with some big ass MH lights given to me by @Skysoldier .

Besides adequate light and water, you need warm soil temps to get good germination from hot pepper seeds. There are some cheap warming pads for seed germination, reptile cages, etc. on Amazon. Get the size you want and be sure that the pad is UL listed.

Growing season for these types of peppers is long. If you want peppers in 2020, I'd start the seeds now or February at the latest. Move outside once temps stay in the 50's or warmer.
Huh...warm soil? Never thought of that. Had a potted 1.5' thai chili plant going last year, but it didn't make it through the winter even inside. Sucks because it was producing very well up until the cold set.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this chili talk got me hungry. I remembered I had some dried ghost peppers, so just made a quick batch of chili oil to drizzle atop the duck noodle soup I'm presently having for breakfast. [grin]

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I’m partial to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers myself.

Do you ever give'em away give'em away give'em away now?

I recall many years ago making an attempt. IIRC, the heat has to do with the temp the pepper grows in so the Northeast is one of the worst places to grow hot peppers.

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tell us about the fermentation.
I start with a big bag of Habanero peppers. I wash and slice off the stems. Add baby carrots, white onion, one orange pepper (seeded) and some crushed up mint. Everything cut up roughly and dumped in a fermentation crock with bottled water and sea salt. Weigh it down, set the airlock and leave it for a month. Maintain the airlock. When ready, place the solids in a blender and liquify and add some brine as desired. Put into a squirt bottle and enjoy. Great on everything. The brine is also spicy so I use that for other things.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Huh...warm soil? Never thought of that. Had a potted 1.5' thai chili plant going last year, but it didn't make it through the winter even inside. Sucks because it was producing very well up until the cold set.
Good lighting & water also important. I think also better for the plant to pick any chilies off during the winter, even if not ripe.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

[smile]
OHHHH YAAAA! Love that stuff. I usually put and extra tablespoon of it in my Hot &Sour soup. If you're not sweating, you need more.

I started coughing and choking on some Tom Yum that I had spiced up the other night. My wife was afraid my eyeballs were going to pop out of my head. She could not fathom that I enjoyed it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some left over hot pepper seeds after planting today and I can probably split them up for 3 people. First 3 people who want to start them from seed respond to this thread and then send me your address in a PM and I will send them to you.

Top Bottom