• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hostas are edible

I just read that Hostas are edible. Exciting news for me as my house came with a bunch, and I have no use for strictly ornamental plants. Anyone tried eating them? Which type taste the best?

I sure know that the local deer population loves them. I remember coming home one day and my wife grilling me on why the heck I had taken the hedge trimmers to all of the hosta lining the driveway. I had no idea what she was talking about. The deer had eaten the leaves right down to the stems.

I sure know that the local deer population loves them. I remember coming home one day and my wife grilling me on why the heck I had taken the hedge trimmers to all of the hosta lining the driveway. I had no idea what she was talking about. The deer had eaten the leaves right down to the stems.

Sounds like a hosta takeover.

Once you learn your weeds most of the stuff people pull out of their gardens is better for them than what they are trying to grow. Not to mention weeds are as easy to grow as weeds!.... I find hosta fibery, best to chew out the sweet jucies and spit out the rest. Every type of hosta will have different qualities, try them all and transplant the type you like. I have collected dozens of different violets from houses I've done garden consulting for. All yummy but with different textures and sugar contents.

Same happened at my place a few years ago. Came back from a two week vacation and every hosta plant(dozens of them) in front and rear of the house had been eaten to the ground.

The fiddle heads should be making their appearance soon, pick them when they are still rolled tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. In a survival situation, I will grow lots of hostas. Then eat the deer.

Sent from State prison using contraband cell phone.

There are a bunch in my yard, if they dont look nasty I may try them out this year. I know my gramma has like 20 varieties and they grow like crazy. She has to halve her plants every two years and give them away.

good, now if they turn out to be delicious you have someone to blame.

Back
Top Bottom