• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Horseback Carry

My wife rides western (ok, I'll be hurt if nobody runs with that straight line!) and should have her own LTC soon. She wants to carry in case any critters attack.

Anyone have experience carrying a concealed handgun on their person in a western saddle?

Shoulder harness? Cross-draw??

Rifle in a scabbard would probably work, just use a lever action not an AR-15. I'd bet nobody would even notice it.

<only partially kidding>

---------------

On a more serious note, whatever holster she would pick would have to have some serious retention features to prevent losing the gun due to all the jostling while riding, especially if she's galloping.

For instance I would expect her to suffer considerable bruising from a shoulder holster bouncing against her side unless it was the type tied down to a belt. I suspect this was why cowboys wore holsters with the bottom of the holster tied around the person's leg.

She might do well to check out www.corneredcat.com and perhaps ask Kathy (owner) some questions.

Rifle in a scabbard would probably work, just use a lever action not an AR-15. I'd bet nobody would even notice it.

<only partially kidding>

---------------

On a more serious note, whatever holster she would pick would have to have some serious retention features to prevent losing the gun due to all the jostling while riding, especially if she's galloping.

For instance I would expect her to suffer considerable bruising from a shoulder holster bouncing against her side unless it was the type tied down to a belt. I suspect this was why cowboys wore holsters with the bottom of the holster tied around the person's leg.

She might do well to check out www.corneredcat.com and perhaps ask Kathy (owner) some questions.
LMAO! Len, there's a woman named Cathy, who goes by "Cat", who is one of her instructors!! Not the same, I believe, but she is a real "horse whisperer"... Thanks for the great tips and we'll check out that site. [smile]

Ultrarunner, for now, yes... in MA. She's thinking she's more likely to be confronted by a bear mama in the woods alone than she is by a human criminal, so that's her first thought for carrying. (and yes, let's avoid this turning into a "when can I legally shoot a bear in the woods in self-defense" thread. [wink])

LMAO! Len, there's a woman named Cathy, who goes by "Cat", who is one of her instructors!! Not the same, I believe, but she is a real "horse whisperer"... Thanks for the great tips and we'll check out that site. [smile]

Ultrarunner, for now, yes... in MA. She's thinking she's more likely to be confronted by a bear mama in the woods alone than she is by a human criminal, so that's her first thought for carrying. (and yes, let's avoid this turning into a "when can I legally shoot a bear in the woods in self-defense" thread. [wink])

Read the 1st sentence on the www.corneredcat.com website! [laugh2] [laugh2] [laugh2]

Back in my Oklahoma and Missouri days I carried a 92FS when I rode. I carried it in an OWB holster with a vest on, this was mainly in the fall/winters there. I never really cared about anyone seeing it though, so I didn't try too hard. OWB at 4o'clock worked well and was comfortable for me, but I'm 6'2 and was about 240lbs at the time. She may need to look into something different depending on what she wants to carry.

If I was worried about bears I'd probably be thinking more along the lines of a shotgun or rifle in a saddle scabbard. I have an aunt who is very small (Slightly under 5ft) that used to help run her parent's ranch in OK way back when, and that's what she used. She just wasn't going to be able to carry anything reasonably well on her person comfortable enough for her, and she was a better shot with a long gun anyway.

There are a fair number of products out there that provide 100% visual concealment of the gun itself,ranging from flap-top hunting holsters to what basically amount to zippered\velcro pouches made to securely hold a gun.

Something like that may provide the proper balance of comfort, access and discretion you're looking for.

Or, go all out and get her a nice pair of Colt SAAs and a good ol fashioned cowboy rig.

You're really unlikely to run into a black bear in MA, they're like squirrels and scamper off at the slightest noise. I've always been weary of the two legged type of predator in the woods. For this I keep a Smith Scandium .357, works well for both threats.

If one is going to carry on horseback, I'd definitely recommend doing some training with the horse first to make sure he's bomb-proof with respect to gunfire. Read up on how the police horses are trained.. you won't need all of that (some of it is pushing through crowds, walking over strange footing, etc.) but the loud noises part will be key. You don't want to be in a position where you need to shoot, only to find that your horse is so scared by it that he throws you further into danger and then runs away. [horse]

Re-enactors and/or cowboy action folks who also ride might be good sources of advice and practice. If you go the cowboy/re-enactor route (as others have mentioned) you may literally be able to hide a single action .44 (or two) in plain sight. Pistols (even black powder pistols) are a different animal due to their length, so think it through first and understand the risks and implications. But I've open carried a pre-1899 flintlock around in some interesting places (rowing across the Charles River, firing blanks on the banks of the river, walking through metal detectors at the state house, etc.) and the usual response isn't fear but more "neat" or "can I get picture?"

Does her horse mind gunfire?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

If one is going to carry on horseback, I'd definitely recommend doing some training with the horse first to make sure he's bomb-proof with respect to gunfire. Read up on how the police horses are trained.. you won't need all of that (some of it is pushing through crowds, walking over strange footing, etc.) but the loud noises part will be key. You don't want to be in a position where you need to shoot, only to find that your horse is so scared by it that he throws you further into danger and then runs away. [horse]

Re-enactors and/or cowboy action folks who also ride might be good sources of advice and practice. If you go the cowboy/re-enactor route (as others have mentioned) you may literally be able to hide a single action .44 (or two) in plain sight. Pistols (even black powder pistols) are a different animal due to their length, so think it through first and understand the risks and implications. But I've open carried a pre-1899 flintlock around in some interesting places (rowing across the Charles River, firing blanks on the banks of the river, walking through metal detectors at the state house, etc.) and the usual response isn't fear but more "neat" or "can I get picture?"
LOL, thanks for the informative (and witty) response. She's actually training with an instructor who has extensive experience in mounted cowboy action shooting, so the expectation is that she would be riding a gun-trained horse while carrying.

For those interested, check out www.bobcatfarm.com

LOL, thanks for the informative (and witty) response. She's actually training with an instructor who has extensive experience in mounted cowboy action shooting, so the expectation is that she would be riding a gun-trained horse while carrying.

For those interested, check out www.bobcatfarm.com

Nice -- that looks like a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom