• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Horse Fatally Shot During Deer Season

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member

I hope the cops find that nimrod who mistook a horse for a deer.

Cows forever . . . I remember my dads friends always grumbling about "newbie's and drunks shooting cows and that was back in the 1950's . . . some things never change . . . .

not sticking up for the nimrod from Nimrod that shot the horse but the size was probably closer to a deer than the title of the thread would indicate...

"The deputy then located the colt"

So not a fully grown horse.

And nobody had seen the colt/horse for three days....

"The property owner explained the horse was last checked on three days prior."

So it might be a bit difficult to find out how many pope were in that area over those days.

not sticking up for the nimrod from Nimrod that shot the horse but the size was probably closer to a deer than the title of the thread would indicate...

"The deputy then located the colt"

So not a fully grown horse.

And nobody had seen the colt/horse for three days....

"The property owner explained the horse was last checked on three days prior."

So it might be a bit difficult to find out how many pope were in that area over those days.
No excuse.
If you're not absolutely sure, no shot, period.

I worked with a guy, who had a farm-owning uncle from the old country, that lived out in the midwest, somewhere.

They visited him, and saw that the cows had been "Protected" by writing on them, in white paint.

"Hey, Uncle....I understand that you want people not to shoot the cows....but how many people can read 'cow' in Finnish?" [laugh]

One time in NH we were hunting with an idiot who shot a goat that was on a rope tied to a barn. When we got there, the lady who owned the goat had taken his rifle and was almost finished beating him to death with it. We gave the lady cash that we had on us and sent the guy packing without his gun and license. Jack.

I always will remember
'Twas a year ago November
I went out to hunt some deer
On a mornin' bright and clear
I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow

I always will remember
'Twas a year ago November
I went out to hunt some deer
On a mornin' bright and clear
I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow

The best part: "You just stand there looking cute, and when something moves, you shoot". Jack.

Your average colt at this time of the season is a LOT larger than any deer

They look nothing alike from profile to coloring
Agreed, but not a full grown horse is all I'm saying. To say a hunter mistook a full grown horse for a deer is absurd. And even though a colt might be taller than a deer the body isn't as filled out.

Look, no excuses. Know what you are shooting. Bottom line. My guess is maybe a new hunter not very adept at silhouette selection. But again, you should be 100% clear about your target and beyond. But I can see the excitement and the misidentification of the animal if a new hunter. On top of that, don't yo know you are near a ranch?

And it might not be an accident at all. Could have been a malicious act. they don't know who did it yet..

Also off-limit...

two-girls-hiding-in-bracken-wearing-reindeer-antlers-598130092-59fa8da70d327a00361c380e.jpg

Umm....nimrod means avid hunter..not in this case.

The primary meaning is from the Biblical hunter Nimrod, but most modern audiences don't know that. The word "nimrod" has come to mean "a foolish or stupid person" thanks to, of all things, Bugs Bunny cartoons. Bugs of course used the name as a sarcastic epithet for Elmer Fudd, and, audiences, missing the Biblical reference entirely, took it at its now-common secondary meaning. They repeated it, and the word has now entered dictionaries with that meaning. Bugs Bunny may not have been the first use of the word in print to mean "idiot" but he's certainly responsible for popularizing it.

Back
Top Bottom