• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady reloading manuals

Bob01605

NES Member
Hornady reloading manuals.jpg

Above is a photo of the three Hornady reloading manuals that I have. The one on the left is a second edition of the original 1967 Hornady reloading manual that was printed in 1968 and is 360 pages long. I have had this manual for over 50 years. Yes .. I am an older shooter in my 70's.

The middle manual is Hornady’s Volume II of the first manual from 1973 and is 512 pages long.

The manual on the right is the 11th edition of the Hornady manual from 2021 and is 1006 pages long. No, that is not a misprint. This manual is over 1000 pages long.

I know what some are saying right now .. Why buy a manual when I can just go online and download whatever load data that I need ? Yes, you can but I think it is just quicker to have a comprehensive book like this one at your reloading bench. This manual has reloading data for cartridges that did not exist even 20 years ago like the 300 Blackout, 6.5 Creedmore and others. It also lists all the newer VihtaVouri powders that I like to use. I shoot military weapons and this manual has listed 308 and 30-06 service rifle loads for both the M14 and M1 Garand in addition to higher power (hunting) loads for both calibers. The only downside to this manual is that it costs about $55.

Bob

VihtaVouri, a man of wealth and culture! I subscribe to the Hornady manual, I get a new one every year, I like the paper copy and I'm not that old. I use the app too, sometimes I prefer the old school manual.

I know what some are saying right now .. Why buy a manual when I can just go online and download whatever load data that I need ? Yes, you can but I think it is just quicker to have a comprehensive book like this one at your reloading bench.
I'm very comfortable with technology and prefer to do many things online, but I, too, have several printed manuals myself (including the Hornady 9th edition and a Vihtavuori manual) and always will.

When the Zombies attack and shut down the Internet, What will people do for information on reloading? They stockpile food and ammunition but won't buy a reloading manual? SMFH....
I guess I will use my brain and remember the loads that were made up in the past until the zombies eat my brain or I run out of ammo...I will let myself out.

I have a couple of manuals that get consulted from time to time for OAL and neck thickness for crimping when I can't remember.

Maybe a good buy at some point, but someone that reloads only 10 calibers, a whole book isn't really necessary.

Unless the manual has a reload recipe for a Flobert, then maybe.

View attachment 584541

Above is a photo of the three Hornady reloading manuals that I have. The one on the left is a second edition of the original 1967 Hornady reloading manual that was printed in 1968 and is 360 pages long. I have had this manual for over 50 years. Yes .. I am an older shooter in my 70's.

The middle manual is Hornady’s Volume II of the first manual from 1973 and is 512 pages long.

The manual on the right is the 11th edition of the Hornady manual from 2021 and is 1006 pages long. No, that is not a misprint. This manual is over 1000 pages long.

I know what some are saying right now .. Why buy a manual when I can just go online and download whatever load data that I need ? Yes, you can but I think it is just quicker to have a comprehensive book like this one at your reloading bench. This manual has reloading data for cartridges that did not exist even 20 years ago like the 300 Blackout, 6.5 Creedmore and others. It also lists all the newer VihtaVouri powders that I like to use. I shoot military weapons and this manual has listed 308 and 30-06 service rifle loads for both the M14 and M1 Garand in addition to higher power (hunting) loads for both calibers. The only downside to this manual is that it costs about $55.

Bob

The best part of old manuals is the loads they list. A lot of that stuff has been removed from new manuals because it made peoples vag bleed.

Back
Top Bottom