Hornady releases 147gr ELD-M in 6.5mm

I really like the 140's but I'm eager to try these out. Ridiculous BC of .697(G1). No info from Litz yet on his BC report.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5mm-.264-147-gr-ELD-Match/

They also released some ELD-M bullets in other grains/calibers recently, including 73, 75, and 80 gr in .223 I'm a fan of these bullets because I can get them below 1/2 moa fairly easily and they cost $10-20 bucks less than equivalent SMK or Berger hybrids.

I use the 142 SMKs (with superb accuracy out to 1000yds) but i will have to give these a try. I ordered some 140 ELD-Ms and some Berger 140 VLDs but haven't tested with them as i have too many 142 SMKs loaded up. I've pushed the 142s as fast as 2870fps with no signs of overpressure on H4350 (which cannot match RL17 in 6.5CM). I typically load to 2770fps @ 70 degrees, which is plenty of steam and shouldn't be too hard on the barrel.

On a stout charge of RL17 you're getting into the neighborhood of .338 Lapua ballistics (not energy). You should be able to push that 147 to 2850 if you're willing to squeeze it a bit.

You would have 1" more drop than a 300 SMK @ 2850fps at 500 yards, and 11" more drop at 1000 yards. Full value 10mph crosswind would give you 1" more drift at 500 and 6.5" more drift at 1000.

ballistic_trajectories_chart_a292704d.png

Hey, is there anywhere to shoot these within reasonable driving distance from Boston? I have a 6.5 CM back home in MT. I'm going home for the holidays and would like to bring it back and get back into long range shooting if there's a range where it would make sense to bring it.

Thanks!

Steve

Hey, is there anywhere to shoot these within reasonable driving distance from Boston? I have a 6.5 CM back home in MT. I'm going home for the holidays and would like to bring it back and get back into long range shooting if there's a range where it would make sense to bring it.

Thanks!

Steve

Yea, Granby bow and gun, they have 1025 yards, but you have to be a member. Joining is easy, but then you have to wait for a qualification class, which only happen like once a month.

Damn, pretty impressive ballistics for such a (relatively) light bullet!

I have been using Nosler Custom Comps and SMK's in .223 and have had pretty good performance from them. Jury still out for Bergers. Have not tried the ELD's as reloads but have used Hornady ELD factory ammo in .223 and 6.5 CM. I'll definitely have to try these for some of my first reloads. My 20" 6.5 CM AR shoots best with factory Winchester match 140's. Last range day averaged ~.55 MOA shooting from a bipod. Probably could do better with a benchrest and rear bag.

So the RL17 is the powder for running it a little hot? I have the JP high pressure bolt and a relatively tight chamber, so if possible to run a little hot in an AR I should have the right equipment. Buffer and spring built for .308 Win, so running 6.5 CM a little hot should not be too hard on the platform.

Edit-

I noticed something towards the bottom of Hornady's web page for the new ELD 6.5's. They are on to something I picked up with Bergers. Take a look at the pic showing consistent tips for the ELD's and inconsistent tips for whatever BTHP's they picture. I've seen some variation in overall bullet length on Berger 80.5's and various SMK's. Not sure how significant that is, but interesting that Hornady picked up on it for a little negative selling against the competition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom