Hornady primer seating punch

I'm on my second primer large seating punch now and still having problems with it.

It seems that when any small amount of powder or dirt gets close to it, it refuses to fully return to it's lowest postion, which enables the primer slide to ride over it and back to it's proper position.

I've taken it out numerous times and cleaned it only to have it happen again.

Is there any thing I can spray on this to clean it out so I don't have to keep taking it out to clean?

You're talking about the one in the AP, right? I find that if a primer seats rough, small filings are shaved off and cause the biggest problems. I usually pull the punch off and douche it real good with gun cleaner every few thousand rounds. For in between, I usually clear the crap out of there on the press by pushing up on the punch from underneath to extend the stem above and blow it out with canned air. I also keep some fine tweezers handy to pull out any stubborn strands of metal splinters.

Exactly what tele mark says Bugs! Compressed air cans are good to have. I blast everything every 100 rounds or so.

Thanks that makes sense, I havn't seen any metal shavings but my eyes are old..

One time I had a problem, removed the primer punch inspected it... and a good sized sliver dropped out. I think it comes from priming S&B brass or when you catch a case slightly off. Once I noticed many of my newly seated primers has a little tiny mark on them. I checked the primmer plundger and indeed a tiny piece of brass was stuck on the top of it. Compressed air is your friend.

Thaks guys for the wake up call. My biggest problem is I get focused on reloading large amounts of 45's and 41mags and forget to clean the press.

I took a piece of white paper and put it under a strong light, put my strongest reading glasses on and started tapping away.

I couldn't belive the crap that came out of it. The paper was complety covered in black powder and dirt. It's amazing some thing that small can collect so much junk.

I use to just clean it when I changed primers, evidently thats not often enough. So I guess I have to go get some cans of air.

While I was cleaning my press I took the hose off the press that the old primers go through and learned a good lesson. If your going to blow through it to clean it, make sure you put the other end of the hose in a bag. What a mess, also don't let the wife catch you running hot water through it, in the kitchen sink.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom