Hornady powder measure

Anyone use the Hornady brand powder measure? Also do you find it not to be very accurate? I just used it for the 1st time and set it or thought I did to 5.2g and checked it a few times on the scale and then loaded 6 rounds and then checked again I was at 5.8... Could it also be the digital scale that came in the kit?

thanks,
Mike

Anyone use the Hornady brand powder measure? Also do you find it not to be very accurate? I just used it for the 1st time and set it or thought I did to 5.2g and checked it a few times on the scale and then loaded 6 rounds and then checked again I was at 5.8... Could it also be the digital scale that came in the kit?

thanks,
Mike

Factory oil and static are your worst enemies. What powder?

I cleaned the hell out of mine with alcohol and sprayed all metering surfaces and surfaces that contact powder with spray graphite. I wipe the inside of the hopper with a used dryer sheet. Fixed everything when metering blue dot when I had trouble.

Are you useing the pistol rotor? Also a good consistant swing of the lever helps.
3 things that have made my hornady powder measure better.
1. Use the baffle
2. Don't go below half full( I find this to be more true with ball powders
3. Consistant throw of the arm.
4. I give the handle one tap on the down stroke.

It may very well be the scale. I don't like the scale that came with my kit. Its very temp sensitive. And will drift. 2 grains just sitting there. I have a beam scale I tust. I use this to check my powder drop. The battery powered dgi scale I use for quick checks. When I want to do a lot of measuring I brake out the 110v digit scale. Down side to this scale is it can be un settled with drafts or foot steps.

As mac1911 said, make sure you use the baffle and the pistol rotor. After you make an adjustment, throw five or so charges and dump them back in the hopper before you weigh.

I don't care about scale drift as long as it keeps its calibration (most do). Just re-zero it before you weigh. If you don't like drift, leave it on all the time.

I have found the Hornady powder measure to be among the very best units.
Mine throw consistent charge all the way down to about 20% full.
Did you run at least 10 charges through it before you began to check for the desired weight? No measure settles much quicker than about 10 throws.
Did you shake the measure first to help settle the powder? You can't get a good consistent charge until the powder has settled.
As stated, be sure you have the right rotor and be sure you tighten the lock ring at least finger tight.
Remember: tap, tap on upstroke and tap, tap on downstroke.
Leave your scale turned on or leave it on for about 30 minutes before using. Be sure it is on a vibration free surface and not on the reloading bench. Be sure it is not exposed to any breeze--should have a "wind shield" built in.

I have two LNL machines one with a case feeder that I do 40 cal ( 231 ) and the other to load .223/5.56 ( 748 ) , both are very consistent , just follow what everyone is saying clean it good, use a pistol rotor, throw 6+ charges back into the hopper and your ready to go.

Go one after my Lee perfect powder measure kept leaking ball powder. The Hornady has been very accurate; make sure you have the pistol rotor for handgun charges like everyone mentioned.

Anyone use the Hornady brand powder measure? Also do you find it not to be very accurate?

Mike

Yup, very accurate, within .1 grain either way i've observed depending on powder. I have two, one on my LNL and another stand alone for rifle loads and I find it just as accurate as the Redding 3BR That I have. As I said though depends on powder, they work great with BLC-(2) but not so much with the extruded powders but even with those it's preety damn close. As stated before you gotta clean that puppy real good when you first get it. I also read somewhere that if you wipe the resevior tube with a dryer sheet it will cut back on the static electricity buildup or something like that, I didn't notice a difference when I tried it.

Want to get rid of static....ground your press/powder measure. Want to really get rid of it ground yourself also

Thank you for all the good advice. I took it apart tonight and cleaned it again then wiped it down with a bunch of dryer sheets. Now it's pretty much on the money.

thanks again,
Mike

On my LNL AP I'm using the pistol rotor with both micrometer and standard adjustment heads...one set for my 38Super load and one for my 40 minor load and both stay within .05gr on average according to my digi-scale. my load was 3.2 clays (flat little disks) under a 180 JHP and I did around 6k of those without any issues with the throws. other insert is set to 10.5 or so of N-105 (extruded rods) and both will hold that tolorence.....after everything was super cleaned out and a little graphite was swished around in there.

Everyone keeps talking about this "pistol rotor" but I only got one rotor with my measure.... The only extra parts I got with it were 2 sizes of the little aluminum things you screw into the they dispensing end.. Sorry do t know all the technical names of the parts yet. Still learning..
Mike

Everyone keeps talking about this "pistol rotor" but I only got one rotor with my measure.... The only extra parts I got with it were 2 sizes of the little aluminum things you screw into the they dispensing end.. Sorry do t know all the technical names of the parts yet. Still learning..
Mike

It is a separate purchase. Small diameter hole for small volumes.

Back
Top Bottom