Hornady Powder Drop Setup problems

So I'm trying to setup my press and I can't seem to figure out the powder drop correctly. The notes state that I'm supposed to place one of the small parts on the top inside the die, but it just slides down as it's narrower then the die.

Is there some other part I'm missing here or what?

IMG_4328.JPG

Thanks

The order of the bottom looks good. Are you using the Powder Thru Expander (PTE)? It looks like that is the one of the bottom... the "nipple" end should go in the die with the nipple/expander end to the left in this picture. Alternately- if you aren't using the PTE you would use one of the other two with the tapered internal side to the left in the picture- inside the die. Make sense? This is the trickiest part of the set up... but once you get it... it's easy.

I assume PTE is an extra item that I would have needed to purchase? Is the only advantage to PTE freeing up one station?

So I'm trying to setup my press and I can't seem to figure out the powder drop correctly. The notes state that I'm supposed to place one of the small parts on the top inside the die, but it just slides down as it's narrower then the die.

Is there some other part I'm missing here or what?

IMG_4328.JPG

Thanks

It's supposed to slide into the die and stick out the bottom. That way when the case pushes up into it it will throw a charge. If you cycle the press and there's no case in that station, no powder will drop. So if you're just resizing and depriming, powder won't be falling out everywhere.

I assume PTE is an extra item that I would have needed to purchase?
Usually- I don't know what you bought. It looks like it might be one I can't tell. Does it have any marking on it?

Is the only advantage to PTE freeing up one station?

Yep.
So you can use a power check die, a bullet seating die and a crimp die.

Basically:
1) Decap/size
2) Powder/Belling
3) Powder Check
4) Seating
5) Crimp

So still having problems with the setup. I got the universal PTX mentioned a few days ago on here, but am still having the same problem. It's easier to see on the stock parts, so I videoed the problem with it dropping through. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PcoX_Asnw8
Sorry for the sideways video.

Dman! There should be an inner ring inside the bottom of that die in the press. It runs around the inside diameter of the die and shouldn't let the PTEs drop thru like that! Looks like your's is either broke or just not there!

There is an inside snap ring that goes in the groove in the bottom of the die that holds everything up. I think they are installed at factory. Hornady will send out a new one (probably 2) ASAP. Any issues with setup I would call them and let them know right away, they also have a no BS staff and will have you up and running in no time. Don't forget to clean it all with brake cleaner or something similar.

If you are near Shirley, EC might be able to show you how it's done.

Last edited:
Sure enough, I can see the indentation for the ring in the bottom of the die. Nothing there, but the indent. What a relief because I thought I was going crazy. THANK YOU. I'll give Hornady a call when they open up today.

Back
Top Bottom