• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady or Dillon

I know this thread is likely to start a war, but that is not my intentions. I am looking for a new progressive to replace my Lee Pro1000 that works when it feels like it. I have narrowed my search down to either the Dillon XL60 with case feeder, or the Hornady L-N-L AP also with case feeder. I would appreciate if users of these would chime in to lay out the pros and cons of each. So far the cons I found are: Dillon- very expensive caliber changes ( I like the lock n load idea even on single stage press) Hornady- no low primer warning. But besides the Rock Chucker, the only other press I have knowledge of is the Lee ( they should include free Prozac with them)

Thanks.

One thing the Hornady does is that it moves the shellplate 36 degrees on the upstroke and 36 degrees on the downstroke (rather than 72 degrees all at once like the Dillon).

This is very helpful when you're loading large charges in pistol cases - the rotation doesn't fling the powder out of the case if you're going fast.

I really don't care about not having a low primer sensor. It's very easy to feel when there's no primer present.

I have an older L-N-L and there's a problem if you use Lee crimping dies because if unmodified, they sometimes hit the ejector wire. Hornady has supposedly eliminated this problem with it's most recent version of the machine.

Last edited:
I am a LnL guy too. They rock. Look on the bright side, you also get free 1k bullets which makes it a cheap investment. The few issues I have had were resolved ASAP by great customer service too. For primer indicator I use a small dowel with red sharpie on the top inch and when I get down to ten or so red only is visible.

Do your homework so you can buy all the goodies at once so you can be loading upon setup and not scratching your head wondering what was forgotten. Good luck.

Welcome[grin]

Last edited:
Dillon has been very helpful to me and their equipment has stood the test of time. Call Dillon at 800-223-4575 and you get to speak to a real person who knows what they are talking about

I have no experiance with the LNL. I drank the blue cool-aid and learned to reload on my XL650 which has been wonderful loading .223 and .45

-Dustin

dillon

I have a 650 with case feeder, if you set it up correctly you can load all
day long. the biggest problem i have had is mixed brass... 40 stuck in 45
it raises hell.

a 650 or even a 550 are meant to load lots of rounds at a time.

If you want to load small quantities of many calibers these are the

wrong presses.

No matter which one you choose it will be a big difference from what
you have.

JimB

I have the LNL and am quite happy. There are some quirks with this machine- as well as with the other as well I'm sure. Someday I'll get a case feeder and really be able to crank out rounds!

I really don't care about not having a low primer sensor. It's very easy to feel when there's no primer present.

I don't see the need for this either but sometimes I do find the last primer in the tube will get stuck- not a big deal. There is NO WAY you won't notice that there is no primer present like Jim said.

Dillon

The Dillon 650 is probably the best overall loading machine that Dillon makes. If somebody made a better machine than Dillon - IPSC shooters would buy it because they shoot a lot of ammo. The vast majority load with Dillon. Buy with confidence. This quote from Brain Enos:

"...It's truly amazing how often I hear something like - 'I heard the Dillon was best, but I was trying to save some money, so I got the LnL or the LM. But I'm just tired of messing with it - I spend more time trying to make it work than I do loading ammo.'"

BTW. Go here for good info comparing these presses:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36930&hl=Dillon+650+Honady

Dillon. I have been using their products for almost 30 years and couldn't be more satisfied with the presses and service. Their "No BS" warranty is legendary.

Thanks for all the input. I also have a height issue in my basement, and I called Dillon to get specs on the 650 with casefeeder. I explained my problem to the CSR at Dillon and he explained how to alter the mount and drop tube to make it fit, as well I could have it done there! I got a bunch of I don't knows from Hornady, it took three people just to find out the height of the machine. That level of support has earned them a customer. I just placed my order for a new 650 with case feeder, and a boatload of components to keep it feed. Great price on the press (595) from Graf's along with a good price on powder, primers and projectiles shipped for the $20 hazmat.

Plumber, you made the right choice for sure. I have a 650 and a 1050 and they both rock. I shoot a LOT (30,000 rounds a year) so I spend a lot of time reloading. actually I can load 100 rounds in 4 minutes. as Scott B said there is a reason IPSC shooters use Dillon.

If you want to load small quantities of many calibers these are the

wrong presses.
JimB

I have to disagree. I have had my 650 for close to five years now and often times I sit down infront of it to press 50 or 100 rounds just before I leave for a match.

I also sit down and press a few thousand at a time. When I am not lazy.

You can press as few as one or as many as your arm will allow in one sitting...

Although I do understand it takes about 5-10 minutes to change calibers (depending on if you are changing your primer system) which I think is what you were getting at.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom