• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady or Dillon?

It was sold on castboolits within an hour. I had it listed here for a couple of weeks with no bites.

If I had known you wanted it I would have given it to you.

Thanks John,

I was thinking about setting up a dedicated .45 loading setup since I seem to be shooting the crap out of that caliber
but congrats on the sale anyway and thank you as well.

I'm currently pondering this choice -- 650 or LnL. I've been loading on my 550 for about 10 years and have probably loaded 30,000 rounds on it. The 550 certainly has its warts. The primer system is an weak point that needs frequent cleanings. The handling of spent primers is poor.

But the big problem is that it only has 4 stages and I just can't see into .38 Spcl cases to verify that the powder in case. This weekend I had my second squib in a match. Fortunately no damage was done to the gun, but I just don't want to risk this much longer. With 45 ACP, I can visually verify the charge. With .38 Spcl I just can't -- 3.8 gr of Bullseye isn't much in that tall, narrow case. With a 5 stage press, I can use a powder check die.

I know everyone has a high opinion of Dillon tech support, but frankly I've been unimpressed. I got advice on the primer system from BrianEnos.com that was far superior than anything Dillon tech support every told me. On the presses themselves, I understand the LnL is far easier to change calibers than the 650.

What has me undecided at this point is the LnL casefeeder. I keep reading so many people who have problems with it that it really gives me pause. It seems to me that a press like this should have a casefeeder that works, and from what I can tell, the 650 with casefeeder will work.

So maybe it makes the most sense for me to get a 650 set up for .38 Spcl, and keep my 550 for other calibers.

I have the LnL and the Hornady case feeder. It has worked almost perfectly for me, I wouldn't load high round count pistol rounds without it!

With pistol rounds (I load both 9mm and 45 ACP), it will drop a case upside down every once in a great while, but that's easy to see and fix. It's a fairly rare occurance for me. I could probably adjust it a bit to stop this from happening, but it's so rare, I haven't bothered to try to adjust it (and I'm fairly picky about having a smooth running machine).

I also have an RCBS lockout die to keep an extra eye on the powder drop for me. I haven't had any problems to speak of with the Hornady Powder drop, but the RCBS lockout die has saved me once or twice. Mostly when I was learning how to operate the LnL. I recommend the RCBS lockout die (search this forum for a review I once did on it).

Oh, I LOVE the LnL spent primer system. All the spent primers, as well as the lead impregnated carbon dust from the primers go down a tube and in my case, end up in an old gallon milk jug. So I never have to manually empty a 'primer catch cup', nor handle the dirty lead dust, etc. My press has never jammed from spent primers nor dirt/dust from them either.

Good luck with your choice!

I own a Dillon 550B and I would recommend the Hornady LnL. It has to be better than the 550,

Oh, I LOVE the LnL spent primer system. All the spent primers, as well as the lead impregnated carbon dust from the primers go down a tube and in my case, end up in an old gallon milk jug. So I never have to manually empty a 'primer catch cup', nor handle the dirty lead dust, etc. My press has never jammed from spent primers nor dirt/dust from them either.
I hate you!

I have to agree. I have a LnL and a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker and I really like the tube that takes care of spent primers. Primer stuff all over the place is a PITA.

I'm most likely going to upgrade my RC to something like the Lee Classic Cast.

B

Casefeeder on my LnL flipped cases once in a while too. Minor adjustment fixes that.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Until you knock over the container they were going in and dump 10000 spent primers on the floor.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Until you knock over the container they were going in and dump 10000 spent primers on the floor.

That's why I use an empty gallon size plastic milk jug. It has a small opening at the top. If it tipped over, not much would spill out (until it gets over 1/3 full).

Even if it did spill, at least it's all over my floor, and not on my bench, nor in/on my press! [smile]

Another thing that I almost hesitate to mention about the LnL is that whenever I don't fully seat a primer, the shell plate won't rotate. This is a sure way for me to not have primers that are not fully seated.

I like that this occurs, but hesitate to mention it as I don't know if all presses do this, nor if it's a reliable indicator of partially seated primers. Of course if the primer is flush with the case head (or below flush as it should be), the plate will rotate.

But I've never personally experienced a primer that wasn't fully seated, but I have caught a few that needed to be reseated because the plate wouldn't rotate, so I simply give them a little extra love to solve the problem.

Perhaps the LnL has a smaller gap between the shell plate and the base plate than other presses which allows non-fully seated primers to be caught? I can't say, but I'm happy with the LnL primer system (Both for removal of spent primers and for installing of new primers).

I like that this occurs, but hesitate to mention it as I don't know if all presses do this, nor if it's a reliable indicator of partially seated primers.

Mine does this too.

As good as the primer system is, keep in mind that the parts wear out. I started having minor troubles with it, and lived with it for a while. After a couple of months, I mentioned it to a Hornady rep that I had on the phone. He sent me a couple of new primer punches, slides, and springs. When I installed the new parts, the machine ran perfect. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

My spent primers go into a 5-gallon bucket. I'm not worried about spilling it because it's got to weigh at least 100lbs.

I recently had a military rifle ammo reload session. When the primer got knocked out, it didn't really get knocked out. The knock out pin punched out the face of the primer, leaving a ring of brass in the primer pocket.

I did the chamfering process, which removed the crimp ring, but obviously left the primer piece in place. When I tried to seat a new primer, it wouldn't go into place.

Had to remove the base plate on my Dillon 550b to get the partially installed primer case out of the press. I was reluctant to run it up into the press to push it out. So, the Dillon does the same thing. If it's not seated correctly, the base won't advance to the next station.

I'm currently pondering this choice -- 650 or LnL. I've been loading on my 550 for about 10 years and have probably loaded 30,000 rounds on it. The 550 certainly has its warts. The primer system is an weak point that needs frequent cleanings. The handling of spent primers is poor.

But the big problem is that it only has 4 stages and I just can't see into .38 Spcl cases to verify that the powder in case. This weekend I had my second squib in a match. Fortunately no damage was done to the gun, but I just don't want to risk this much longer. With 45 ACP, I can visually verify the charge. With .38 Spcl I just can't -- 3.8 gr of Bullseye isn't much in that tall, narrow case. With a 5 stage press, I can use a powder check die.

I know everyone has a high opinion of Dillon tech support, but frankly I've been unimpressed. I got advice on the primer system from BrianEnos.com that was far superior than anything Dillon tech support every told me. On the presses themselves, I understand the LnL is far easier to change calibers than the 650.

What has me undecided at this point is the LnL casefeeder. I keep reading so many people who have problems with it that it really gives me pause. It seems to me that a press like this should have a casefeeder that works, and from what I can tell, the 650 with casefeeder will work.

So maybe it makes the most sense for me to get a 650 set up for .38 Spcl, and keep my 550 for other calibers.

don't know what decision you've made but i can speak for the 650 w/casefeeder i have one.

JImB

Mine does this too.

As good as the primer system is, keep in mind that the parts wear out. I started having minor troubles with it, and lived with it for a while. After a couple of months, I mentioned it to a Hornady rep that I had on the phone. He sent me a couple of new primer punches, slides, and springs. When I installed the new parts, the machine ran perfect. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Same thing.....was getting frustrated and spoke with Hornady. In Saturday's mail was a couple spare primer slides and punches. It does make a difference and things do wear out which affects your machines performance. Hornady's customer service is excellent and almost on a par with Dillons.....IMO.

So I settled on a Hornady LnL, set it up last night, and also installed an RCBS bullet feeder. I gotta say, it is so much smoother than my loadmaster. My next step is to add an automatic case feeder. I did put some of my own touches to it though. Instead of using the Hornady powder measure/case activated drop, I decided to use my Lee powder measure/expander in place of it. 200 rounds without a problem, I think I am going to be in the garage alot more often now.................Thanks Dustoff22 for a good deal, it was a pleasure to meet you.

Why the lee powder drop? Lee doesn't exactly have a reputation for quality.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom