• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady LNL Powder Measure ?

So I'm looking at the LNL and am confused about what comes with it. Do the new ones use the variable powder micrometer or do they use bushings?

Basically.....if you were to buy a new LNL would just getting a #8 shell plate be enough if you have all the other stuff (dies, scale, etc.) to get going with 9mm? Or do I need to figure out what bushing(s) I might need for my powder (HP38)?

If you're talking about the LNL AP then it comes with 5 die bushings, and powder measure rotor assemblies for both rifle and pistol. I didn't know this and ordered a pistol rotor assembly separately, now I got two! You get 3 drop tubes of varying lengths and primer feed setups for both small and large primers. So I guess the answer is yes, if you get the correct shell plate then you're pretty much good to go if you already have dies and everything else. DON'T FORGET TO STRIP AND CLEAN THE POWDER MEASURE ASSEMBLY. any goop left in there will totally mess up your throw consistency.

FYI - Hornady has the entire DVD that comes with the press available on YouTube in 12 parts, they go from opening the box to spitting out finished rounds including how to setup your dies.

It comes with all you need in the box except dies, consumables and a scale, don't forget the scale. You do not need the micrometer insert although it can be handy for some things. I am down near RI if you want to see one work.

PM answered

So far I've only loaded .40 SW but I'm gearing up to do some 308WIN in the near future. seems to be a bit more complicated to do the bottle neck stuff but I think it'll be a little more clear when I get the bits and start working with them.

I'm still new to reloading and have approx 200 rounds made and the only complaint I have is that I'm having a little trouble with the seat/crimp and COL. I set everything up for 1.135 and lock things down, double checking by seating a new dummy round (no powder/primer) and checking it with the digital calipers (and a wilson gauge). Then when I get rolling for real the rounds coming out of the press are all in the 1.138-1.140 neighborhood. I'm probably being waaay too picky but where as I'm loading at SAMMI max length I don't need longer rounds in the mix. I probably have another die station mis-configured and when there's a casing in that spot it's keeping the ram from going all the way up, I highly doubt it's the presses fault. I'm going to reset everything this weekend and that should get rid of the issue. The press and dies seem well made, the instruction DVD that comes with it is top notch, and the operation is easy. I've also only used Titegroup powder so I can't speak to how the powder measure works with other powders.

overall I'd buy this press again, but check back in a few thousand rounds for an updated opinion [wink]

.002 difference in COAL is not much. I set my seating die and get it as close as I can to the COAL in the manual but I have variations for whatever reason on just about all the rounds. As long as they're in the 3rd decimal point you should be golden.

.002 difference in COAL is not much. I set my seating die and get it as close as I can to the COAL in the manual but I have variations for whatever reason on just about all the rounds. As long as they're in the 3rd decimal point you should be golden.

Yup...same here. I adjust to about .005 below max COAL and let it go at that.

Back
Top Bottom