Hornady LNL Powder Drop backing out

crazymikie

NES Member
Anyone else have a problem where their powder drop backs out (the bushing rotates and it comes loose) on the LNL press? I've tried a couple of different bushings to make sure I didn't have an out of spec one on there, but they all have the same problem after a few dozen rounds. I have to keep tightening the bushing.

I thought about a few drops of blue loctite, but didn't know if anyone else had this problem and found another solution.

Thanks

Take the O-ring off the bushing, bring it to the hardware store with you, and find one that's the same diameter, but a little thicker.

If you can't find a thicker one, get the thinnest one you can find and put it on the bushing along with the stock O-ring.

Or use an elastic band for now to add to the factory o-ring in a pinch.

-Proud to be a licensed plumber most days, wish I was a shoemaker on others.

What bushing are you guys talking about? I have the LnL, over 4000 rds, no problems with powder measure function at all.

The L-N-L bushing that holds the powder measure in the press can work itself loose while loading. It's a pretty common problem. I haven't had it happen in over 100,000 rounds, but I've read about the problem and solution several times.

I originally wrapped a turn of electrical tape around the spot where the o-ring resides. Worked wonders until I found the box of rings from when I was building transmissions.

I just send Hornady an e-mail this morning (tried to call but didn't feel like waiting) about this. I rejiggered my press to run a seat and crimp in separate stations and to keep my powder cop I had to switch to PTX expanding. That puts my powder drop in station #2 and when it's in that one it not only backs out but it literally wiggles back and forth when fully seated. tried a different bushing and o-ring but that didn't help. I'll find a rubber band when I get home this evening and see if that cleans up the play until they can get me this shim everyone is talking about........or until I get fed up and order a 650

Hornady does not answer emails, you can send one but you prob won't get a response. Phone is best. Their service is the best, I think they'll be able to help you just fine, you won't need a Dillion. BTW, do a google search for Dillon primer explosion, or Dillon problems. :) Every press has it's issues.

Hornady does not answer emails, you can send one but you prob won't get a response. Phone is best. Their service is the best, I think they'll be able to help you just fine, you won't need a Dillion. BTW, do a google search for Dillon primer explosion, or Dillon problems. :) Every press has it's issues.

question submitted via the form on their website (guess I shouldn't have said "e-mail" specifically) yesterday morning 7/25 explaining the issue I was having. Got an e-mail from their tech dept explaining they were sending me a new bushing and shim around 5:20pm and an automated notice of my "order" 2mins later. This morning I got automated notification that my warranty parts have shipped.

They were on the ball with customer service on this one, unfortunately because it seems to be a common issue with the press. I've put maybe 20k rounds on the press so far and when it's running well it's a dream. when it's not running well...I'd rather not go there, I'll get myself all upset.

Wow, I take back what I said. Last time I tried by mail and form on their website was a year ago, I got no answer, but when I called I got taken care of right away. I did complain of no service by email, perhaps it was me who got them to correct that. :)

question submitted via the form on their website (guess I shouldn't have said "e-mail" specifically) yesterday morning 7/25 explaining the issue I was having. Got an e-mail from their tech dept explaining they were sending me a new bushing and shim around 5:20pm and an automated notice of my "order" 2mins later. This morning I got automated notification that my warranty parts have shipped.

They were on the ball with customer service on this one, unfortunately because it seems to be a common issue with the press. I've put maybe 20k rounds on the press so far and when it's running well it's a dream. when it's not running well...I'd rather not go there, I'll get myself all upset.

Go BLUE, I CAN FEEL IT!!!

[smile]

I just did the same thing. I also told them that my press continues to eat the shell plate retaining springs (whatever those round springs that hold the cases under the shell plate). I've replaced it several times and it just keeps chewing them up.

What's that, Primers blowing up? :)

You know I read more problems about the 650 than the LNL and like to Dillon bash, but I really need to play with one first before I continue my bashing! This is why I am trying to get BB to buy one although I feel he doesn't need my encouragement.

Chris

I've had an L-N-L since 2005. I've loaded well over 100K rounds on it. I'm going to replace it soon with a 650.

Last edited:
I had some other stuff to say but I'm not going to monkey up this thread any more than I have. As I said I've loaded probably 20k rounds of pistol calibers on my LNL in the past 2.5yrs and for the most part I've been happy with it. at the moment I'm fighting battles with a few different parts of the press and one is on topic with this thread; the powder measure wobbles around in press and causes issues. they're sending me replacement parts and I'll put them in and see how she runs. if I can fill it with expendables and churn out a few hundred rounds of foh-tay without incident then all is well. if I fill it up and quit after 100 rounds because I'm sick of having to stop every 5-10rnds to fix, tweak, or double check something so I don't have to worry about blowing my hand off at a match then it's time to really re-evaluate the situation.

Can't let the Blue guys get away with their nonsense. Dillons have problems too, just like all other presses. It's a pipe dream to think otherwise. I didn't get a Dillon because I read about so many problems with powder spillage out of the cases. At $300 less, the LnL seems to be working fine for me. My powder measure hasn't moved in over 2 yrs, so I guess I didn't get a lemon.

Can't let the Blue guys get away with their nonsense. Dillons have problems too, just like all other presses. It's a pipe dream to think otherwise. I didn't get a Dillon because I read about so many problems with powder spillage out of the cases. At $300 less, the LnL seems to be working fine for me. My powder measure hasn't moved in over 2 yrs, so I guess I didn't get a lemon.

My powder measure backed out a bit in station 3 but not all that bad. when I switched to station 2 to use the PTX expander and still keep my powder cop die the damn thing wiggles around. it used to throw very consistent drops and now it's fluctuating .1-.2 which is a big problem when you're dealing with a 3.5gr powder charge. I might throw my spare pistol rotor in and see if that solves that problem. hopefully my new bushings come in early this week

Try a thicker o-ring. That should prevent the wobblies.
My powder measure backed out a bit in station 3 but not all that bad. when I switched to station 2 to use the PTX expander and still keep my powder cop die the damn thing wiggles around. it used to throw very consistent drops and now it's fluctuating .1-.2 which is a big problem when you're dealing with a 3.5gr powder charge. I might throw my spare pistol rotor in and see if that solves that problem. hopefully my new bushings come in early this week

I had the problem, but a simple switch to another bushing solved the problem.
Have you really LOCKED the bushing in place? That top heavy powder MEASURE really puts a strain on the bushing. Using a wrench helps to really torque it in place.
Cut out a shim from a can or call Hornady and get a shim from them.
The PTX is the BEST way to expand the case. I always use the cartridge/caliber specific PTX, PTE die, or Dillon "powder funnel" on my measures and they all work great.
Recommended setting:
1) Resize
2) Expand and Charge
3) RCBS Lock-Out die (not a powder cop--if you can't inspect each charged case--with the charged case right under your nose--you're not going to look at the powder cop die every time either)
4) Look in the case at the powder charge (get a light--look up Inline Fabrication L.E.D. Light Kit with Skylight/Ceiling Light for Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press) and Seat
5) Crimp

Last edited:
Update: My warranty parts came in last night but I haven't had time to install them. I hear getting the bushing out of the press is a biotch so I'm not going to try it until I have a bunch of time available.

I see your elastic band and raise you two pieces of paper.

I took two pieces of paper and folded them a couple of times and jammed them under the bushing. That seemed to work. Ghetto-rigged until my proper part comes.

The only issue I see with the paper is that it's paper.

Back
Top Bottom