Hornady Auto Charge vs RCBS Chargemaster

headednorth

NES Member
Anyone use either one of these, or have used both and have a preference? Quick search seems like the RCBS gets less complaints. Is it worth the extra $80?

I have a Hornady powder drop that works fine, I just dont like adjusting it for each charge when Im working up a new load or charging low and trickling up. Figured an automatic charger would be easy to punch in the new weight and I can charge a case and seat the bullet while the next charge is being dropped.

Anyone have any opinions on these two?

I tried both (as well as the PACT and Lyman) and bought the RCBS.

The RCBS was faster and threw less overcharges than the Hornady.

I tried both (as well as the PACT and Lyman) and bought the RCBS.

The RCBS was faster and threw less overcharges than the Hornady.

In my little bit of research so far, over charges seem to be the knock against the Hornady. Seems to be ok if you like to tinker. Straw in the tube trick, making adjustments in charge speeds and trickle speeds depending on powder type, etc. RCBS sounds more closer to set and forget so far.

How fast does the rcbs throw a charge of pistol powder?

Not to be a smart ass, but it depends on the size of the load. It throws in two stages. First it comes out on the faster side and then it trickles when it gets closer to your desired weight. Pistol loads are generally light to begin with so it doesn't pick up much speed. I don't use it much for pistol unless I am working up a load. I use it more for rifle.

Here is a rifle load demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hornandy is a piece of shit!! Mine worked great the first couple of times I used it then it just went retarded, throws an accurate charge 1 out if 8 or so and I'm not talking a couple of tenths either It's like 3-5 grains over with ball and stick powders, I just haven't had the time to call Hornandy on it.

I had the PACT for quite a few years, combined with the PACT scale it was kinda slow but worked real good 95% of the time. The motor on the dispenser finally crapped out and I never bothered to have it fixed, still have the scale though and that works with no real issues even after dropping it once!

I just go back to my old standby, a Hornandy/Pacific beam scale, had the damn thing for like 20 years...It just don't break!

Last edited:
I find weighing each charge to be to slow for pistol loads. Rifle it's fine because I don't load large volumes of rifle cartridges at one sitting. I've been using the Lee dippers for pistol and it's much faster but you are limited by what powders line up to a dipper that lines up to the desired load. I have seen that folks make homemade dippers, I may go this route.

Back
Top Bottom