Hornady 5.56 55gr. #2267 and H335

Amputee Marksman

NES Member
So I want to load up some 5.56 and I have H335 and a bunch of Hornady 55gr. #2267 bullets. I was thinking about paying for the Hornady load data for that bullet. Regardless, I hadn't gotten around to pay and then I was at Cabelas and they had the book so I looked at the load data. Bam, no load data for H335 for that bullet. Guess I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

After searching the web and this forum some I think I'm going to go with 25gr. for a start.

How did you come up with 25 grains as a starting point?

For this thread H335 for .223?

Here are some of the comments:

24.5-25 gr of H335 is what I use under the 55’s.

I just reloaded a batch of 5.56 up to 25.6gr of H335. (remember 5.56 is hotter than .223).

I am at 25.0 for 55gr. I've loaded higher but that gave the best accuracy for me.

25 gr of h335 with a 55gr fmj has been my go to load since 1994.

For this thread H335 for .223?

Here are some of the comments:

24.5-25 gr of H335 is what I use under the 55’s.

I just reloaded a batch of 5.56 up to 25.6gr of H335. (remember 5.56 is hotter than .223).

I am at 25.0 for 55gr. I've loaded higher but that gave the best accuracy for me.

25 gr of h335 with a 55gr fmj has been my go to load since 1994.

The reason I ask is that you are likely looking for accuracy at a certain distance or looking for bullet performance at a certain distance. 25 grains isn’t the hottest load in that caliber, but it’s not at the starting point either. If you are after accuracy, especially at closer distances, then it’s probably wise to start someplace around 22 grains.

Dave

The reason I ask is that you are likely looking for accuracy at a certain distance or looking for bullet performance at a certain distance. 25 grains isn’t the hottest load in that caliber, but it’s not at the starting point either. If you are after accuracy, especially at closer distances, then it’s probably wise to start someplace around 22 grains.

Dave

Firearm is an AR with 14.5" barrel and muzzle break. 1:8 Twist. Looking for something in the 100 yard range. I'd like it to be pretty accurate but will mostly use the ammo for plinking or shooting bowling pins. The rifle likes 62gr. better than the 55 but I have a few thousand 55gr bullets so I figure I might as well use them.

those horndy 55s and h335 have been my bulk plinking loads for a good while. Stocked up on the 55s and I got “ stiffed” on. Powder group buy and stuck with 335.
My generic load will hover around 1 moa out of my 16” RRA upper with cheap 10x scope. I think its a 1/9 twist. I went with 24 grains right from the get go—- for the most part it seems 24 grains of alot of the common “AR” powders does well, with in reason of known data , powder burn rates and bullet choice that is.
I recently put my 335 stash to the back of the powder cabinet and pulled all the bottles with 1/4 1/2 lb left in them to burn off between the 55s and 69s.
so for getting stuck with 335 I have to than that guy who stiffed me. Turns out to be pretty good stuff for me

I’d have to double check but I believe I use 24.5 or 25 gr of H335 with the 55’s.
But I worked up to that load. I can’t say I would recommend starting at 25 gr but that’s up to you.
There’s really no load data in the Hornady manual? I’ll have to check mine

My older edition has H335 in the 223 section , the “service rifle 5.56” section starts at 69 grain bullets

From the Hodgdon powder reloading data site.

55 GR. BAR TSX FB
Manufacturer Hodgdon
Powder H335
Bullet Diameter 0.224"
C.O.L. 2.180"
Starting Load
Grains 21.3
Velocity (ft/s) 2,920
Pressure 48,900 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains 22.7
Velocity (ft/s) 3,063
Pressure 53,000 PSI

My Hornady 9th says H335 for #2267 is 20.8gr/2800fps to 23.2/3100fps(MAX). COL 2.200 out of a 26” rem 700
Note this is for 223, not 5.56. As you stated, they do not have data for #2267 for 5.56. Odd.
seems the manufsctures are splitting 223 and 556 data.
I first seen it with Sierra with their AR load data.
Then my hornady manual has a 556 service rifle data that runs 69-80s

Nosler does it also.

The older 223 rifles runing slow twist barrels geared for lighter bullets- i remember 52gn was heavy for 223.
The throats/leads where cut shorter. Seems like everything has a wylde chamber these days , unless your getting a bolt gun designed for light bullets with the 1/12- 1/14 twist barrels?

Last edited:
I just tried some of the 25gr H335 loads with these bullets and was pleasantly surprised, accuracy was better than I expected. I used 223 brass this time around but want to try some in 5.56 brass next.

I just tried some of the 25gr H335 loads with these bullets and was pleasantly surprised, accuracy was better than I expected. I used 223 brass this time around but want to try some in 5.56 brass next.
i have not seen much of a difference in case capacity from "223" " 5.56" brass. Heck i think my own testing deviations are probably + /- more than any actual case to case variations.

i have not seen much of a difference in case capacity from "223" " 5.56" brass. Heck i think my own testing deviations are probably + /- more than any actual case to case variations.

I actually did when I loaded some Varget but that may be because one is a ball and the other is a stick powder. Plenty of room to seat the bullet in the 223 case w/varget but in the 5.56 case I would have had to really compress it. I opted to just use a 223 case instead.

THIS......QFT

Only thing folks may find odd with the Hornady 55gr FMJ with can is that hornady puts the cannelure too close to the tip of the pill if you're loading to correct over all length and so its exposed and utterly useless.....

No big deal.....they run like a champ but the first time folks load em they look at their guage, look at the loaded bullet and scratch their head wondering if they did something wrong.....
If you load to hornady manual for the 55 FMJ of 2.200" tbe cannelure lines up pretty well if your brass is trimmed to length.

Someone gave me some #2267's once.
Because of the different shape, I found they needed to be seated a bit shorter than the typical profile 55's in order to chamber freely.

All this talk of .223 vs 5.56 has me thinking.

Do any of you actually have 5.56 dies? Because if you take a 5.56 case, size it in a .223 die and trim it to .223 OAL, then you have a case that is externally a .223.

Which leaves wall thickness? Is a 5.56 case sized in a .223 die, cut to .223 length going to have a different internal volume than a .223 case prepped the same way?

I guess the bottom line is that when we talk about .223 vs 5.56, we need to think how our dies and trim lengths as well as our donor brass determine what we actually end up with.

I've always reloaded my .223 with mixed brass, paying no attention to if the parent brass is .223 or 5.56. My .223 / 5.56 shooting is always done inside of 300 yards so I'm not chasing a small standard deviation in muzzle velocity.

Thoughts? Wisdom??

great points.

Trimming to length doesn't really determine much with loaded ammo, as you described.

Trim length really only matters when it comes to helping us to MEASURE the weight of sized, trimmed cases. Deviations in weight are caused by deviations in wall thickness, which for an externally sized and trimmed case determine case volume.

Here is the data for 5.56 (higher pressure allowed versus 223) and 24.5gr H335 powder, OAL=2.2 inches, and your bullet.
The unknown factor here is the case capacity measured in grains of water - using the default case capacity.

P.S. Don't blame me if this advise blows up your gun. I am not a pro at this.

Attachments

• 556.335.jpg
    556.335.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 7
jpk, It is my understanding that for Quickload software one calculates the case capacity in grains of water from a fired case.

Fired case - do not resize, do not remove primer.
Weigh the fired case.
fill the case with water and weigh it again.
The difference in weight is what Quickload wants - case capacity in grains of water (yes measured in water weight)

I get that but the measurement of case volume in the manner described isnt particularly relevent wrt case pressure

the volume thats relevent is the volume remaining when a specific projectile is seated to a specific depth to produce an OACL of 2.260 (or whatever non NATO spec you're using).

the behavior/chamber pressure is a product of the above volume created with seated projectile which is partially occupied by a specific weight of a particular powder that has a particular burn rate/other properties.

Seat the projectile deeper and you reduce the above volume and increase chamber pressure and/or create a compressed load (Non SAAMI/NATO Spec)

Seat the projectile less deep and lower pressures will be generated (Non SAAMI/NATO Spec)

There's a reason why a great many of us use case guages to validate cases after sizing/measuring and trimming as needed
quick loads accounts for bullet seating depth.
Also seating bullets to a longer COAL can get you into increasing pressure if your running tight to the lands also.
Its all good and fun. Be careful

Back
Top Bottom