• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady 44 XTP

I got 1000 240 gr Hp XTP Hornady bullets when I bought my press and have only loaded 50 of them. Has anybody taken the time to work up a load with this projectile that they are pleased with for accuracy and power. I have loaded a lot of lead and have a load that I am very pleased with for the 240 gr Rn that I would be happy to share. Was hoping to take advantage of someone else's time and efforts and bypass the finding a perfect load process. I shoot mostly out of a 6" barrel but do have an 8" mdl29 that I love. I know EC got a bunch of these, any one that has been loading for a while and has found a load they have settled on care to share? Thanks

IIRC the WC 820 powder varied a significant amount depending on the lot. Some said AA9 and others 2400. I also think one lot said H110. I have a couple of jugs and I like it for the .30 Carbine.

As for the 240 gr XTPs my Hornady manual says that Blue Dot and 296 gave them the best accuracy.

I have used the .44 240GR. Hornady XTP bullet for years and love it.I use it in a Ruger 44 carbine (old one) and of course the Smith $ Wesson 629 and it's variations.This is not a recomendation you understand ,but I used 22GR./H110 in both the revolver and rifle listed here on a dear hunting trip to Maine.With the rifle I got a nice 8 pointer .The distance measured 75 yards.The interesting point is at that distance the bullet entered the heart and came to rest just under the hide on the opposite side of the entrance.I call that the perfect bullet for deer hunting in brush country.

t-85761.jpg

The Hornady site has a specific page of loads for the FTX bullets. That's what I chose for deer hunting. Better choice than the XTP in brush.
The FTX bullets that I loaded required shaving the brass .020", otherwise the OAL would be wrong. They shoot really great in my Marlin 1894 (.44 mag)

Here's the site page for the FTX bullets.....

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/44RemMagFTXRifle.pdf

I have loaded the exact same bullet with 19 gr of 2400. It is below the maximum and accurate through my 6" Anaconda.

Back
Top Bottom