• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Horizontal carry Buck 112?

Welder1

NES Member
Intersted to hear if anyone has any experience with a horizontal sheath carry on belt. I've carried a knife most everyday since I was kid and like most have carried many different configurations. At one time it was a Buck 110 in the standard issue vertical sheath. I realized that it was very bulky and got hung up a lot at work and retired the 110 to occasional use when a large blade was needed, mostly during deer season now. I went through a period of somewhat expensive Benchmade and Spyderco clip knives in the pocket but decided they weren't the most cost effective for a work knife. Also the larger clip knives tend to dig in to the leg at work when climbing ladders. Lately I've reverted back to a three blade Old Timer my dad gave me for my tenth birthday. It's been in and out of rotation for 24 years now and shows it. Even the Old Timer can be agrivating when laying in a ditch welding pipe. So I've been contemplating trying the horizontal sheath with my 112 Buck. I've done some looking around and there seems to be some nice streamline leather friction retention sheaths being made. I'd love to hear if anyone has any luck with this. I know working out in New Mexico I saw several people using this method but never considered asking about it.

I have no experience with the Buck 112, but will say that horizontal belt carry is very comfortable even with a large knife as long as you have a good sheath. When I go on multi day deep woods hikes I usually bring a Ritter RSK 2 carried on my belt horizontally across the back of my pants. It is by no means a small knife with a 6” blade and .188” thickness. Never the less it is very comfortable in this position and easily accessible. So I would assume the buck 112 would carry well this way.
3B932227-D5EC-445A-A1B2-9A5B8AB4F522.jpeg

I should also note that on these trips I sometimes end up spending a considerable amount of time on my sides or back with the knife not causing any real discomfort. Also the good quality friction sheaths I have used for smaller knives have never let the knife out unintentionally.

Last edited:
For years, I carried a Buck 112, The Ranger, in it's regular case, but upside down. As the case worn in, with one hand, you could unsnap the sheath have the knife fall into your hand grab the blade between your thumb and forefinger and snap it open, in under 2 seconds

Watching this thread.
I go a lot of places I can’t carry a gun, so I usually pocket carry. Which is the same pocket I carry my knife in. I’ve been looking at the horizontal sheaths too.

Palladin, IIRC the upside down sheath was pretty popular in the late 80s early 90s, and I carried my Bucks like that for years. Somehow I never lost a knife this way.

Did the sheaths you saw in New Mex look like this?

iu

They were very popular in Arizona in the 1980's. They are a qwickdraw-style that opens the knife when it is drawn from the sheath.
The blade pivots off a rivet (seen under the rear bolster above) but has been known to mar the blades edge.
Quick, one-handed opening is pretty fast. Too bad they couldn't run the rivet through a piece of nylon round stock...

Welcome to "Knives!"
~Matt

Thanks for the responses fellas.
Enbloc I’ve seen the quick opening style you mentioned before but the ones that I saw were much more minimal. Thinking back the guys carrying them were pipeliners. Laying on your side a lot. It only makes sense that having horizontal on the belt on the waist “seam” would be less invasive. I’ll post a couple examples I like. Also thanks for the warm welcome to the knife party

Here are a few possibilities.

Attachments

• 06412C09-1247-4A35-A982-65A8B9F7EED2.png
    06412C09-1247-4A35-A982-65A8B9F7EED2.png
    125 KB · Views: 56
  • 1A892CC8-2644-4D3B-9398-A8D1B01EDC41.png
    1A892CC8-2644-4D3B-9398-A8D1B01EDC41.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 47AAEBEB-E08C-44F3-B8EB-8660C0824EFD.png
    47AAEBEB-E08C-44F3-B8EB-8660C0824EFD.png
    125 KB · Views: 15
  • 86798F86-65A6-4FE3-9FB7-7983A79B368D.png
    86798F86-65A6-4FE3-9FB7-7983A79B368D.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 14
I carry a Gillespie PP in a horizontal sheath everywhere except work (doesn't really fit in with the office attire and clients). This is friction fit, no other retention method, but have no problems with it staying put, and is easily removed when needed. BTW he makes great knives, made to be used, not just collected and displayed.

Here are a few possibilities.

Very nice sheath. Stitching looks strong and well-crafted and leather looks thick but pliable.
Probably one of the smallest sheaths out there, that I've seen for the 112 folder.
Your knife being a working-blade, smaller is better.
I would not think twice about ordering one.
~Matt

Fits like a hand-in-glove...
06412c09-1247-4a35-a982-65a8b9f7eed2-png.236569

Back
Top Bottom