Hoppe's gettin me down?

I have 3 guns- a Beretta 9000s (9mm), a Walther p22, and a bolt action 22. A couple weeks ago I ran out of my Gunslick Ultra-Klenz (actually I spilled the damn bottle all over my coffee table[sad]) so I picked up a bottle of Hoppe's. Since using that crap I'm having all kinds of problems with my pistols!

The Beretta doesn't seem to be striking the primer hard enough to fire on waaay too many shots. I'm wondering if the Hoppe's might be gunking it up because when I remove the unfired round there is black shit on the primer.

The p22 keeps failing to load on waaaay too many rounds. That gun seems to have always been a little weak in the firing pin and I don't think that's really changed (I should have bought a Ruger for my target shooting fun). I'm wondering if there's something about the Hoppe's that is jamming things up.

The ONLY reason I'm blaming the cleaning solution is that these problems started simultaneously when I started using Hoppe's so I'd like to ask you guys if there might be a connection or if these problems could be explained by the way I'm using the solution.

Or should I just forget these ones and buy more guns?[smile]

I like Hoppes. Tolerable smell. Cleans up powder and lube as well as any other solvent. It's cheap in bulk, and it provides a little rust protection until I put something better on. It's a lousy choice for copper fouling or leading, but that isn't what I use it for.

Hoppes won't gunk up, but it will liquefy and move gunk around and then dry.

I'll echo '03Collector here, which Hoppes product are you using?

I've used Hoppes 9 for years without any problems. It's still my primary solvent, although I will use shooters choice sometimes. The only time I've had any issue was my own fault when I left excessive solvent or oil(I don't remember which) on a bolt & it gunked up a bit. But this was on a firearm that sat for years after being cleaned & stored.

Remember that hoppes no 9 is a cleaner, and NOT a CLP type deal where it
does everything in one shot. It does not lubricate anything, so if you're
not adding lube after, that is why you could be having problems.

Note that there are other products in the hoppes line that are lubes or
lubes + cleaners, but the std no 9 jars is just a cleaner.

-Mike

OK, the bottle says Hoppe's #9 powder solvent. I guess I really know next to nothing about proper maintanaince of my firearms which is kinda scary. The guy at the gun store said this was all I needed and I foolishly took his word for it. I had been using Gunslick's Ultra-Klenz followed by Ultra-Lube which seemed to give better results. So if I want to use up the rest of this bottle I have to follow it up with another cleaner to remove lead and copper and then lube it?

Also, the bottle says not to get any in the action which seems a little strange to me. If I can't use cleaner in the action how will my action get clean?

If I dabbed it on my neck the only female to appreciate it would probably be my dog. She tries to lick my guns when I'm using this stuff!

Whoah whoah! Hoppes is fine for cleaning your average rimfire handgun/rifle. There is not enough copper/lead fouling for a separate solvent to be necessary. Centerfire pistols (with jacketed ammo) don't need a separate solvent either. There is very little copper fouling with jacketed ammo (one barrel makers say cleaning with a solvent is not necessary at all) and zero lead fouling.

#9 is not intended as a lubricant. What you are doing sounds fine.

I shoot a lot of cast bullets so leading is always a factor for me and hoppes doesn't do squat there. It works fine as a liquid to wipe out loosened crud but it doesn't help loosen the crud up in the first place. You can get away without a copper or lead solvent in other applications using mechanical force (elbow grease). I choose not to.

I use MPro7 these days, but in the past I've used Hoppe's No. 9 for years. It works fine as a solvent. It is NOT a lubricant.

So clean your gun with it. Then remove all the Hoppe's No. 9 from the gun and barrel. Then lightly lubricate the gun as recommended by the manual. There are dozens of lubricants to choose from (I use Mobil 1).

I doubt Hoppe's No. 9 is causing your misfire problems, even if you are misusing it.

You need to put a few drops of oil on the gun.

I use a light machine oil which works OK. But certainly, you need something to allow the parts to slide freely.

My cleaning routine is pretty much a Hoppes #9 followed by a light oil in a few places. (most manuals will show you where to apply lube)

I also have some lead and copper solvents when they are needed, but it's pretty rare to use those.

I've never been one to subscribe to the "all-in-one" formulas.

Back
Top Bottom