• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hoppe's Boresnakes New vs. Old - Differences?

robmcd

Instructor
I have several Hoppe's Boresnakes that I have purchased from various sources over the years. I just bought new .22 and .38 pistol Boresnakes, and noticed that the tail aft of the embedded brushes is flat and doesn't wipe as well. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm conversing with Hoppe's about it.

38 Boresnake Comparison.jpg

are you sure its original and not a nock off.... I bought a few Hoppes on line and when I looked closely the same thing....they where different. I went to dicks and bought another one and it was clearly different. the brush and the "yarn" very very close though.....

are you sure its original and not a nock off.... I bought a few Hoppes on line and when I looked closely the same thing....they where different. I went to dicks and bought another one and it was clearly different. the brush and the "yarn" very very close though.....

The skinny one in the photo is new from Dick's. The other is several years old, and cleans far better. The knockoffs like sold on Amazon and Ebay are skinny like the new one from Dick's.

I decided to disassemble an old and a new Boresnakes. When the older version was made, they doubled the tail into a loop, and pulled the loop into the outer jacket, resulting in twice as much material inside.

for me the purpose of boresnake is mostly in the copper brushes on them. i have used the newer boresnakes and they work well for me. but borensake alone i don't get the barrel as clean as i like. so i still run patches through either via snake (breech -> muzzle) or from muzzle end with a long rod and loup. the boresnake does great job of loosening up the fouling.

My new Boresnake made for ".30-.308" has barely any resistance pulling through a 7.62x39 chambered gun where the older ones I've had required I wrap it around my knuckle and pull. I noticed this today actually. I don't think they're making them like they used to.

My new Boresnake made for ".30-.308" has barely any resistance pulling through a 7.62x39 chambered gun where the older ones I've had required I wrap it around my knuckle and pull. I noticed this today actually. I don't think they're making them like they used to.

Might be making them on the smaller side to lesson chance of breaking...

I don't really use a bore snake to clean my bore. I give my guns a pull through then a oil patch before going in the safe. Dry patch when it comes out to play again.
Only bore I have kept "clean" is the old ruger 77 deer rifle... Set up for cold bore shot...

Back
Top Bottom