• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hopped on the Vetterli Bandwagon

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Martin08 has one, my friend has one, and now I have one; but an Italian one.

1884 M1870/87/1915 Italian Vetterli fucil. Originally manufactured as a single shot rifle and chambered in 10.4x47R by Brescia, serial number NP 3926. These rifles were converted first to a Vitali four round box magazine fed with a Mannlicher style clip from 1887-1896, still in 10.4x47R, until superseded by the M91 Carcano. Starting in 1915 they were converted again with a barrel liner and new magazine to the now standard 6.5x52mm Carcano cartridge as an emergency measure due to Italy’s chronic arms shortage in WWI (and WWII). These conversions were intended for home guard, police forces, and new regiments that were not expected to see combat – as the black powder designed Vetterli action was deemed not up to prolonged firing with the higher pressures of the modern smokeless powder Carcano cartridge. Stock marked ‘S. Polotti over E. FIGLI’ and renumbered to match on the right side, and a hexagonal stamp with ROMA and 1916 as the date of the conversion on the right side. Bore is excellent; bright and sharp and clean - I wonder why? Overall condition is exceptional with good wood, tiger striped stock, and clear cartouches and stampings. Sling is an original, similar, M89/11 Swiss style.

One more for the antique rack. Room for one more - an American M96 Krag.

Thanks for the look.

T.

Last edited:
I have a Vetterelli also. I bought it at an auction a couple years ago. They wouldn't go less than $60 on it So I had to pay up.

2e131885-fb4d-4a3f-82e3-2e3f30752d28_zps0d10fac1.jpg

image_zps9a210da0.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom