Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Semi-offical thread

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hi,

@Rob Boudrie

I’m already a member of Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association, I just ordered my first shotgun, should be here midweek.

I know I can go to the club on Sunday mornings and I should be able to find someone on the trap/skeet range for newbie help. I plan to do that. Long story short, self isolation with Covid at the moment.

My question is around clay throwers, are the clay throwers at the club for members use anytime they want or are they for club meets only?

Debating if I should pick one of the smaller autos up, they’re about $200-600.

Also, can I shoot the steel plates with shotgun that are in the pistol / rifle range, getting old but I seem to remember they are limited to pistol and or 22 rimfire.

Thanks in advance
Harry

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi,

@Rob Boudrie

I’m already a member of Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association, I just ordered my first shotgun, should be here midweek.

I know I can go to the club on Sunday mornings and I should be able to find someone on the trap/skeet range for newbie help. I plan to do that. Long story short, self isolation with Covid at the moment.

My question is around clay throwers, are the clay throwers at the club for members use anytime they want or are they for club meets only?

Debating if I should pick one of the smaller autos up, they’re about $200-600.

Also, can I shoot the steel plates with shotgun that are in the pistol / rifle range, getting old but I seem to remember they are limited to pistol and or 22 rimfire.

Thanks in advance
Harry
The skeet and trap houses with throwers are for scheduled functions only. Even the committee members who run these for the events don't tend to come out and use them solo for practice.

I don't know if there are any hand operated throwers (don't think so, not certain). I do know that self service is allowed if you bring your own thrower.

I don't know about shooting plates with shotguns, but I would avoid it unless you get an all clear from ElPrez.

What kind of shotgun did you order? Did you go with the Perazzi or Kreighoff?

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The skeet and trap houses with throwers are for scheduled functions only. Even the committee members who run these for the events don't tend to come out and use them solo for practice.

I don't know if there are any hand operated throwers (don't think so, not certain). I do know that self service is allowed if you bring your own thrower.

I don't know about shooting plates with shotguns, but I would avoid it unless you get an all clear from ElPrez.

What kind of shotgun did you order? Did you go with the Perazzi or Kreighoff?
Thanks Bob.

Nothing as fancy as a Perazzi or Kreighoff. This is my first shotgun, I was debating on the Berreta 1301 Comp Pro or the Mossberg 940 JM Pro.

Both of these are really hard to find, especially locally. I ended up getting a great deal on the 940 JM Pro, figured the money I saved over the 1301 Comp Pro would buy me a thrower and lots of ammo.

I knew I wanted a semi auto, I'm not a tactical guy, although I did look at the 1301 tactical. I wanted a competition gun because if I ever get enough time I would love to get into 3 gun competition.

Looking for more of a range toy to have some fun with my sons. Hence looking at getting a thrower and maybe a popper with a pigeon flipper.

Although I've always fancied a nice wood stock quality shotgun but I figure start off cheap and see if I like it first.

Incidentally, I search for a few weeks for either the 1301 Comp Pro or a 940 JM Pro locally with no luck, I ended up ordering from an out-of-state NES vendor. Two hours later an email came in from The Gun Parlor, who just got the 940 JM Pro in stock. Although I paid a lot less and the vendor was very easy to deal with, shipping to a local FFL in my town.

You can this one online for around $419

View: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Traps-Targets-Wheelybird-Automatic/dp/B07BDN8PML/

Another one that gets decent reviews

View: https://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Automatic-Thrower-Capacity/dp/B00I6LCWW4/

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U8HZWY/ref=emc_b_5_t

$100 cheaper at Wally World

All the above can have a wobbler added later if we start to enjoy it.
Thanks
Harry

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For anyone else interested, I ended up finding a Champion WheelyBird 2.0 for $269 which is the cheapest by $150 I could find anywhere and free shipping.

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For anyone else interested, I ended up finding a Champion WheelyBird 2.0 for $269 which is the cheapest by $150 I could find anywhere and free shipping.

where is it going to be plugged into at the range? are there outlets there?

admcd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Thanks in advance
Harry
I'm 99% sure that shooting any of the club's plates with a shotgun is verboten.

Setup in Bay 6 and bring your own and then go nuts.

John42056

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anyone found an Allen wrench set over by the archery range, feel free to leave it in the archery shed. Ft mine there on Sunday.

John42056

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anyone found an Allen wrench set over by the archery range, feel free to leave it in the archery shed. Ft mine there on Sunday.
Went back yesterday, set was sitting on the picnic table, just where I left it. Either no one is using the archery range anymore or maybe they thought I’d be right back for it.

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Update and Question at the end.

I just wanted to follow up from my thread on clay shooting at HSA.

I picked up the Mossberg 940 JM Pro couple of Wednesdays back from the local FFL that it was shipped too. The WheelyBird 2.0 was delivered that Friday as well.

Took about 30 minutes to assemble the WheelyBird, very simple and easy to build. The packaging was heavy that it came in, but it had plywood in the box, which added to the weight. Once built, it is not that heavy to lift in and out of the truck, nice surprise. The clay thrower has nice solid wheels and comes with both 25ft corded foot pedal and RF remote.

It's powered by a 12 volt cheap lawn tractor/mower battery with simple alligator clips.

My son and I went to HSA last Sunday to shoot the 940 for the first time. I've only ever shot someone else's shotgun before, one of the competition shooters let me try theirs, one Wednesday evening many years back. My son has been to some clay shooting event with his friends in RI were you rent the shotgun and walk some sort of course.

Sunday morning at HSA the Shotgun range is open to the public, being relative newbies, we introduced ourselves to three gentlemen on the trap course, Explained we are members and had no clue of the rules and this our first outing with a Shotgun & an unfired new gun as well.

I can not thank these guys enough, they were done for the day, but they offered to do another round of trap with my son and I. They walked us through the rules, we did all 5 stations with them. Huge thank you to that group. We owe you a beer or at least a round of Trap on us.

The 940 shot flawlessly, ran 100% with light target loads brand new out of the box. There was hardly any felt recoil, my Ruger precision 308 kicks a hell of a lot more than the 940.

As expected first time out, we missed more than we hit, but we did manage to hit a few.

After we finished and we thanked them, we decided that we would set up our WheelyBird 2.0 to practice with, theory being that we would have consistent throw path and would be easier to learn how to get on the clay and how much lead was needed.

This worked out great, standing behind the clay thrower was a lot easier and we got to the point we could hit them all. With the remote we where able to walk around the thrower for different angles, some where harder than others to hit.

We put about 350 shells through that day and I have to say we had a great time, hand gun and rifle shooting is fun, but becomes a bit laborious hitting the same target over and over again.

I have to say everyone was really nice, there where two gentleman in the hut that look after the shooting range on Sunday and run the traps. They both saw we where new and came over to offer advice and correct us on how we where shooting, again huge thank you.

One side note, we got the WheelyBird 2.0 at 50% off, really good deal, if you were inclined you could buy two or more and the same RF remote could be sync'd and operate them all.
There is a delay you can set on the receiver from 0-15 seconds delay from when you press the button. Idea is that if you are a lone you can press the button on the remote and put the remote down before the clay is released, not an issue if you have some one else with you. However you could have multiple WheelyBird 2.0 running off the same remote and all releasing at sightly different times, a few seconds apart or all at once.

Here are a couple of videos, we are both new to not that good yet.

Question:

Calling any electronic power experts:

We're using a 12 volt lawn tractor/mower battery with alligator clips, no issue, works fine. I wouldn't mind having a cleaner unit, like a power bank that could do more like charge things in the house on power outage etc.

Would this work? it's on sale with $100 off.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4K3LV52

Thanks

Harry

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I’m having issues accessing the online calendar from my phone (as well as my wife’s phone). Works on the laptop, so not a big deal but I can usually see what’s going on at a glance. Wasn’t sure if anyone else is having issues or perhaps there’s something up with the website?

Screenshot of error message attached. Yes, I’ve done the Captcha and clicked I’m not a robot, numerous times. But maybe I am a robot?!?!

4177D249-4E5F-427D-85FF-9F59B1153715.jpeg

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
See the red text part, what browser are you using?
Chrome or Firefox work on my android device

Yeah, I saw that.
Safari from my iPhone and it used to work until maybe a month ago. Chrome on my laptop works just fine so it’s sort of a non-issue. Just curious.

Kofkorn

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any particular nights or events that are good for perspective members to attend and connect with a sponsor? I took my daughter to a local range for the first time and she's already hooked. We're looking to join HSA and maybe even the participate in the USPSA.

bigblue

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Wednesday is generally USPSA practice in warmer months, Sunday is skeet & trap. Those are the two most common days to meet members.

I’m sure Sean, Mike, Pete, etc will be along shortly to chime in what USPSA looks like this winter.

admcd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wednesday is generally USPSA practice in warmer months, Sunday is skeet & trap. Those are the two most common days to meet members.

I’m sure Sean, Mike, Pete, etc will be along shortly to chime in what USPSA looks like this winter.
While we're indoors, USPSA practice is closed to non-members.

Once we return to the outdoor ranges, we will likely have some practices open to non-members during the warm months. You can email HopkintonUSPSA (at) gmail dot com for more info.

Kofkorn

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the update. I was going to drop by and shoot some skeet tomorrow, but I'm borrowing my FIL's Remington 1100 that's been in a closet for 15 years and I need to replace the gas o-ring before I go. Maybe on Wednesday evening if the weather holds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we're indoors, USPSA practice is closed to non-members.

Once we return to the outdoor ranges, we will likely have some practices open to non-members during the warm months. You can email HopkintonUSPSA (at) gmail dot com for more info.
What time is the practice?

Top Bottom