Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Semi-offical thread

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's "semi-official" because I'm an active member and I help out with stuff but not on the board or anything like that...

General Info:
The club is located at 95 Lumber Street in Hopkinton, MA which is convenient to Rt495.
Official website located HERE
Membership requires sponsorship by a member in good standing, please see website for dues and work hour information (I'd rather not have incorrect info on this post and can't guarantee I'll be able to always keep up with editing it if things change)

HSA offers the following facilities for member use:
  • Indoor Range (24x7 cardkey access, qualification required)
  • 100yrd Rifle Range
  • 200yrd Rifle Range (Qualification Required, no guests)
  • 2 Skeet Fields
  • 1 Trap Field
  • Sporting Clays and 5 Stand
  • Outdoor Action Pits, 3 pistol only, 1 pistol/rimfire/carbine rifle, 1 pistol/rifle/shotgun
  • Trout pond
  • Archery furnished with targets

Active Groups at HSA:
  • Highpower Rifle
  • Action Pistol (USPSA)
  • Trap/Skeet
  • Blackpowder Association
  • Bullseye Pistol
  • Junior Rifle

Access roads to the various ranges are plowed during winter but making a path to your targets is your own job so bring a shovel! Trap and Skeet fields are cleared of snow and in operation all year round. The club does host events, competitions, and training classes so please check the calendar on the website before heading to the range.

Peter

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am also member. Great club. Awesome facilities and ranges there. Also, everyone I have met there are happy and polite, and willing to let you try their equipment. Definitely a place to look at if you need a club

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My Son and I visited your club site last Sunday and it looks like a great place to shoot.

From what I understand you have to apply at the club meetings that are only held the first Monday of the month. Obviously there will be a club meeting this Monday 6th.

Question; I have been approved for a unrestricted class A and my son for his FID. We are just waiting for the call from the local PD to come pick up the licenses.

Can we start the membership process Monday, pay dues etc and add the License numbers later. Otherwise we will have to wait until September, I will be in Europe the first two weeks of August so we will miss that meeting. We understand we can not shoot (don't have any guns yet anyway) until we have the licenses in hand. Just trying to get a head start, otherwise we have the licensees and no where to shoot.

Thanks
Harry

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Show up at the meeting and ask for El Prez. I suspect you will find that common sense prevails.

Got a sponsor lined up?

badshot101

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Son and I visited your club site last Sunday and it looks like a great place to shoot.

From what I understand you have to apply at the club meetings that are only held the first Monday of the month. Obviously there will be a club meeting this Monday 6th.

Sorry - no BOD meeting until August 3rd. There is no meeting in July

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Sorry - no BOD meeting until August 3rd. There is no meeting in July
Thanks for the information, Guess we will have to wait until September to apply

thanks
harry

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
current member, been so for a little over a year.
Sponsorship is new, but reaching out to NES will likely yield many folks who would gladly sponsor someone.

good club, I still need to qualify for the indoor range though before next..................................​winter...(don't want to say the W word too loud)

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Show up at the meeting and ask for El Prez. I suspect you will find that common sense prevails.

Got a sponsor lined up?
We do not yet, I was planning on asking at the club meeting. We're very close in Bellingham and a couple of members where very friendly and kind enough to show us around when we turned up unannounced. Expecting the call to pick up our licenses any day now, we where trying to set up a local place to shoot so that once we got the licenses and purchases in hand we could take the range tests. We're both very new to shooting but take safety very seriously and this place seemed very friendly. I have to leave for Europe in August so we will miss that meeting, was hopping to get some range time in during the summer.

Thanks for all the feed back.
harry

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I spoke to ElPrez - HSA policy is to have people wait until their LTC or FID comes in. Since this is the DPRM, people can get denied an LTC for stupid reasons unrelated to public safety, and the club does not want to have to terminate a membership because someone was denied their LTC.

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No. There are 2 meetings in August where you could apply. See the club calendar under the link BostonBullit posted. www.hsasports.com
Thanks for the information, They have two meetings, 3rd and 10th. I will be out 1st to 16th, I just have to be patient and sign up in September. In the meantime we can look at lane rental at American Firearms in Attleborough.

thanks

harry

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I spoke to ElPrez - HSA policy is to have people wait until their LTC or FID comes in. Since this is the DPRM, people can get denied an LTC for stupid reasons unrelated to public safety, and the club does not want to have to terminate a membership because someone was denied their LTC.
Thanks you asking for us, I can understand the need to wait, we will aim for the September 3rd meeting. Will look for alternatives for now to shoot over the summer, I like Mass Firearms but they don't allow 556, American Firearms do so we will probably get some practice in there until we're approved at Hopkington.

thanks

harry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry potar, I am going to the club tomorrow to shoot some informal trap practice, and some handgun work on the indoor range. I would be happy to have you as my guest for a little while and let you try a few guns if you would like. I am not sure what time yet, so it would be short notice though

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Harry potar, I am going to the club tomorrow to shoot some informal trap practice, and some handgun work on the indoor range. I would be happy to have you as my guest for a little while and let you try a few guns if you would like. I am not sure what time yet, so it would be short notice though
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the offer and would love to take you up on the offer. I have to remind you incase you did not see it in the thread, although we have been approved by the local PD we have not yet received our licensees. Anticipating the call to pick up our licenses any day, once we have our licenses and have made our purchases I would love to take you up on that offer.

Once again, thank you for your kind offer, I will post here once we get the LTC.

Thanks
Harry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harrypottar, I am mobile right now, and my phone is glitching. I cannot get any more p.m. s through. I will send you another one tonight when I have a real computer

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Harrypottar, I am mobile right now, and my phone is glitching. I cannot get any more p.m. s through. I will send you another one tonight when I have a real computer
Thanks I appreciate the offers and just goes to demonstrate how friendly this club is.

Thanks
harry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's "semi-official" because I'm an active member and I help out with stuff but not on the board or anything like that...
Peter
Hi Peter, of all the clubs in my area (I'm in Milford) this one looks the most reputable and professional. I too am a newly licensed newbie. I would love the opportunity to get a tour and find a sponsor.

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Was voted in by the BOD last month and presented to the members at the June meeting. Current members are only allowed to sponsor 2 new members per year, it is not unlimited.

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was voted in by the BOD last month and presented to the members at the June meeting. Current members are only allowed to sponsor 2 new members per year, it is not unlimited.
Chopper_man, if you don't mind me asking how long did the whole process take.

Sounds scary, got visions of Charlton Heston in planet of the apes in front of the council. [rofl]

harry

iofneedle

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

Sounds scary, got visions of Charlton Heston in planet of the apes in front of the council. [rofl]

harry
I joined last year. The whole process took about 15 minutes. Everyone was polite and friendly. Terrific club!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Peter, of all the clubs in my area (I'm in Milford) this one looks the most reputable and professional. I too am a newly licensed newbie. I would love the opportunity to get a tour and find a sponsor.
Hit me up with a PM...I would be glad to give you a quick tour. [grin]

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

harry
Hi Harry,
At any BOD or Member meeting you can submit your application. You then get voted in during that meeting (just a formality). After that you will get your orientation, that usually happens about 2 weeks after application, always on a Saturday. After the orientation you will get your access card which will give you access to the club house and outdoor ranges. You'll also need to pass a safety qualification for access to the indoor range. Awesome club, you'll like it. I've been there a couple/few years myself now.
-Brian

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The club has experienced unprecedented membership growth - instead of having 1 or 2 people at a meeting to be welcomed in, it's now typically 8 or 10. I think this is an attempt to slow growth a bit, and increase the quality of new members. The tricky part about limiting growth is that using arbitrary procedures like a waiting list can keep some of the best members - I can think of a few we picked up in the past few years who have made great contributions to the club.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
HSA has been on my radar for a bit now. I was planning on submitting an application at the beginning of 2016 but unfortunately I don't know any members outside of NES who could sponsor me.
I wouldn't sweat it too much, there are enough friendly club members here on NES that it shouldn't be too hard to line up a sponsor. The other option is to check the club calendar for events like USPSA or highpower matches or practices and stop by to meet some folks. Don't forget to bring eyes and ears if you go that route!

Top Bottom